Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#1,001 ·
Google Earth is a great tool and makes it easier for us to trade trail locations. When someone posts coordinates, you can enter them into Google Earth first for a good look before entering the data into your GPS. I usually print a wide shot of the entire trail system I'll be traveling that day. Quick reference is easier than having to go wide on the GPS.

Also, have a look at this topo map for your GPS:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/86/

The data for this map was collected from several different sources. Together, they form the most complete topo map I've found to date. It's also free to download and use without limitations. I paid around $100 for the Garmin topo map and the free one posted above showed more trails and with greater detail.

I have pictures and coordinates from todays trail. Will post them up shortly.

#1,003 ·
Started a thread called members helping members. It's purpose is to connect people to others that can help them repair, maintain, or upgrade their jeeps. Some people may not have the knowledge, tools, or help they need to do work on their own jeeps. It is sort of a pay it forward idea that can help everyone learn how to do things themselves and save money.

#1,005 ·
For those who like to follow along on Google Earth, I'll be including coordinates with this picture essay.

We started the day at the Cottonwood trail:
35°59'50.59"N , 115°26'48.39"W

For those new to Google Earth, start the program and enter the coordinates into the Search/Fly to section at the top left.

#1,012 ·
Descending into that valley from the previous photo, we came across this. On our Forrestry map, it was called Wilson Tank which can be seen from the peak a few pictures back.

Do not stop here! Before we had a chance to get a closer look, bees started to attacj the Jeep. We put the windows up and kept going. It was probably a quarter mile before they stopped attacking.

Attachments

#1,014 ·
Here is the view looking back from the end of our day. From the descent into the valley, much of the trail is just like this picture. There is much more to see and do if you stay on the Cottonwood trail system above this valley. Todays trail ended here: 36° 1'53.28"N , 115°21'3.93"W.

All of the trails were posted as designated trails. Total travel time, with frequent stops, -4 hours.

Attachments

#1,015 ·
I was able to find some references to the trail we exited. Some called it Eagle Ranch Road. The street name is Eagle Ranch, accessable from Blue Diamond road. Others referenced it as the Old Spanish Trail. I know that the Old Spanish Trail is a broken trail system throughout the area. It may be. Another referenced it as an old gypsum trucking road. There is a gypsum mine and processor nearby. It may be that too.

My recommendation would be to avoid that trail where we ended. Scenery is nice, but it's so much better above. If you enter Cottonwood at the coordinates I started with, there is more to see up there. Abandoned miners cabin, abandoned gold mines and an old place crash.

With so many trails to choose from along Cottonwood, the trail can be as easy or hard as you'd like. Keep following that point south and it'll end at Goodsprings: 35°51'27.18"N , 115°26'40.59"W

In the town of Goodsprings, you'll find the Pioneer Saloon. It's supposed to be famous:
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

#1,016 ·
Last time I ran that trail in the daylight My wife and I saw this guy.....

There is also a mine on the west side of the trail. it is marked if your headed to Goodspring it is on the right befor the trail on the left that gose down to the Guzzler. Sorry did not make it on the GPS. it does not go all the way to the mine it is blocked but some very lage rocks and is only a very short walk to the mine

We did this one at night this summer.

#1,017 ·
We came across that same mine a while back. If you climb above that, there is a vent shaft that is also sealed.

It's doubtful you'll see any wild horses in that area anymore. For some reason, an agency came and gathered most of them up. Not sure which agency. The local news said it was because there were more than the land could sustain. I'm up on that trail system weekly and haven't seen a single horse since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.