Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 492 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side View

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #7366
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I agree, buying anything with a v8 or jeep on the hood is not a good idea if you plan on saving money on gas. Heck that has been one of the main reasons that we have not gotten an camper yet. Neither of us want to drive the tow vehicle throughout the year. By the time you add everything up, you could easily afford a trip to Hawaii every year.

Now if you operate a business on the side and write off the truck as a business truck and write it off as a loss... you might collect some of your money spent. Maybe uncle rico's rock flipping service!!!

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #7367
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
This is all just my opinion and I am by no means an expert. Just my thoughts.

Offsetting gas prices with another vehicle is a tricky beast. The purchase price+registration and insurance will buy a lot of gas. That f-150 is not nearly as efficient as your excursion. It has a smaller v8 but when you tow with it it will have to work much harder then the v10. I dont see much room for saving any money in that equation. It would be much more practical to buy a small econo car with a manual trans to save any money.

At the same time it looks like a good truck and at least fairly well looked after. It will probably put a smile on your face.

And again just my thoughts I don't know your situation or what makes sense for you. It's not an end of the world decision.
I hear ya i think its the cool factor with this truck. I feel like a *** in a civic. The excursion gets 8 to 10 mpgs with out a trailer. Thanks for your insight on it
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #7368
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasZJ

I hear ya i think its the cool factor with this truck. I feel like a *** in a civic. The excursion gets 8 to 10 mpgs with out a trailer. Thanks for your insight on it
I felt the same way I had a 96 corolla to save on gas but I felt like I was squeezing into a tin can compared to my truck. I just sold it to my little bro.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #7369
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasZJ

Very quick at editing my post (a***) that wasnt there before lmao
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #7370
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

QUOTE=sirhk100;13237892]Even not coilovers with just a good tunable shock it'll be night and day difference! Only advantage of the coilover is being able to run a longer more controled spring rate really. You can only get so much out of a standard coil in a bucket before it pops out or bows all goofy without the shock going thru it to control it's shape.

Fox, king, saw, bilstein, radflo, foa, whatever... all the same mostly so brand doesn't matter. What matters is that you rip them apart and tune them for your rig.

Any thoughts of tossing a hydro bump in there? Even a short 2" stroke one will make a WORLD of difference on the accidental hard hit or whoops I flew a bit higher then I meant to jump!

Are you thinking about competing or just keeping it a toy? Let me know when you're ready!!! I got a wired and blown race helmet and will have a fire suit soon! LOL Could possibly weasel a trade for shotgun seat time in the race truck later next year once we get the program a bit further along and bugs/details worked out... Eventually pass seat in my sections of the race will be up to whoever I want to toss in![/QUOTE]

Well, that Jeep is on 2.5" King "smoothie" res. shocks @ over $800ea plus tuning I just couldn't swing that. I will be going with 2.0 Fox res. tuned for my Jeep. I still may do bumps, but hadn't thought much about it. It also has several small things that I just don't feel necessary for my build such as all Billet Johnny Joints vs the regular ones I'm using. All heat treated steering links ect...

As far as racing it, I would love to, but SO many other things have to be done to meet Tech and all that. If I ever did, it would probably just be the one KOH stock class race. I mostly rock crawl, just want to be able to do some small go fast stuff at my own pace for now. BUT let me get some seat time and I may feel different

Just some info on that rig
http://www.kingshocks.com/news/4x4/j...enge-at-koh-2/
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #7371
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasZJ View Post
Hence the reason I'm considering selling this...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2875541919.html

and picking up something like this...

I figure people won't try to street race me at the stop lights anymore! LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #7372
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

On another note.....I'm about to have one of these built to tow behind my Jeep to the trail head...no more of that tent stuff for me

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #7373
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
Well, that Jeep is on 2.5" King "smoothie" res. shocks @ over $800ea plus tuning I just couldn't swing that. I will be going with 2.0 Fox res. tuned for my Jeep. I still may do bumps, but hadn't thought much about it.

Not sure where you got that pricing but a 2.5" smoothie shouldn't run you even close to that. That's more like the price for a pair of them honestly! Heck, at that swap meet a few weeks back people were picking up 2.5" bypass shocks for that price. If you're remotely paying those prices you need to be shopping elsewhere for sure!

They can be had cheaper then this... Just as example though...

http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/prod...roductID/49939

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #7374
sirhk100

Actually... Have you thought about going to an air shock? A lot more travel then a coil/shock combo and priced good! I really don't know anything about them tho. Just tossing it out there!

http://sdhqoffroad.com/airshocks.aspx

Unread 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #7375
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
On another note.....I'm about to have one of these built to tow behind my Jeep to the trail head...no more of that tent stuff for me
TRANSMISSION COOLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I know???

Power was... ehhhh, very under... Brakes were ehhhh... sketchy! LOL, those big *** axles though are probably coming with better brakes though I'm guessing! The grade past stateline though heading towards cali was a 45mph monster with 2 dirt bikes in the trailer.

Unread 03-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #7376
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I am lmao right now. I just got an email from my HOA about to many weeds in my yard when the ghetto house across the street has broken windows and a dented up garage door. What a dark comedy.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #7377
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No I hate air shocks! I toyed with those on an old rig I had and IMHO are POS! Yea I'm probably off on the pricing and no I NEVER pay retail for anything regardless my Fox shocks are about half those. Not to mention what King charges to do a valving session. I'm using a local guy to Blaine and the price is awesome!

As far as the trailer towing, the Jeep will have bomb a$$ brakes on those axles and upgraded master ect.. And yes I will have electric brakes on the trailer hubs. They are 3500lb timbren suspension hubs NO beam axle! The trailer curb weight is 950lbs it is a 5'x10'x5' box and 14' from tip of tongue to back of box.
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #7378
sirhk100

Chances are it'll be a slow climber but stopping should be fine which I'd rather have for safety. You'll also have the advantage with the LJ vs. TJ that I was towing with.

Yeah, I have zero experience with air shocks... Not really sure pros and cons on them.

I don't think most people use factory guys for valving. There's lots of guys that will do it for a fee. Heck, if you know what valving stacks to put in there, doing the actual work is easy. It's the knowledge of what shims to use that's the black magic! LOL

HOA's!!! HAHAHA, hence why I live in da hood! They're a joke!

Unread 03-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #7379
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza
No I hate air shocks! I toyed with those on an old rig I had and IMHO are POS! Yea I'm probably off on the pricing and no I NEVER pay retail for anything regardless my Fox shocks are about half those. Not to mention what King charges to do a valving session. I'm using a local guy to Blaine and the price is awesome!

As far as the trailer towing, the Jeep will have bomb a$$ brakes on those axles and upgraded master ect.. And yes I will have electric brakes on the trailer hubs. They are 3500lb timbren suspension hubs NO beam axle! The trailer curb weight is 950lbs it is a 5'x10'x5' box and 14' from tip of tongue to back of box.
What do you think about FOA?
Unread 03-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #7380
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
I am lmao right now. I just got an email from my HOA about to many weeds in my yard when the ghetto house across the street has broken windows and a dented up garage door. What a dark comedy.
There's houses all around me for sale-no HOA! Should go poo on the HOA's chair's front yard. I have lots of dog poo for extra volume!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.