Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 491 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJeep Tweaks at JeepHutSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 03-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #7351
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

yeah I saw that one of the guys whole criminal record. Pretty cool how much stuff is available these days.

Unread 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #7352
sirhk100

Random but just passing on info... Anyone looking for cheap lights...

100W halogens for $13

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._350960_350960

HID offroad lights for $80...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-HID-OFFROA...r#ht_500wt_949

Or HID for $65ish...

http://www.dhgate.com/hid-work-lamp-...9d47172bc.html

Can't vouch for any of them but for the prices may be worth trying. The 2nd one I linked looks identical to the HID's that kragen is selling for a lot more and I have friends that have raced with them with nothing bad to say. They're 35W HID's which doesn't sound like much but a couple on here will vouch for my 35W HID lights being beyond bright!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:07 AM   #7353
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Random but just passing on info... Anyone looking for cheap lights...

100W halogens for $13

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._350960_350960

HID offroad lights for $80...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-HID-OFFROA...r#ht_500wt_949

Or HID for $65ish...

http://www.dhgate.com/hid-work-lamp-...9d47172bc.html

Can't vouch for any of them but for the prices may be worth trying. The 2nd one I linked looks identical to the HID's that kragen is selling for a lot more and I have friends that have raced with them with nothing bad to say. They're 35W HID's which doesn't sound like much but a couple on here will vouch for my 35W HID lights being beyond bright!
I have 35w hids in my head lights (i know i know most dont like it) but they are crazy bright.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #7354
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Any one know this truck ive been looking at it. I might pick it up this week would be a nice DD and i could pull my jeep with it

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2864376278.html
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #7355
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Those KOH rigs could smoke my truck that's for sure! Absolutely amazing how fast those rigs were running! You going coilovers on yours? If so, as long as your axles don't bend from hard landings you should be able to cruise a good pace. I used to ride shotgun in a jeepspeed that was well built and was always blown away at what it would hold up to! It's mostly all in the shock tuning to be honest! If the KOH guys would focus some more attention on the shock valving they'd be shocked cause it was obvious some had never had their shocks apart!

LOL, for what that upgrade cost you you could've bought a pretty mid level prerunner probably but then you'd be like me, having a little of both but neither are amazing persay! If I was starting from scratch I'd be doing a KOH type rig for sure!

We need to ramp your jeep against my 2WD truck when it's finished!!! I want to take my yota to the next Adam's open house thing and ramp it there. I don't know the limit of it though and really don't want to roll it on a RTI!!! The rear suspension isn't fully flexed in that picture above.
Nope, no coilovers. As you mentioned shock valving is key and my builder (Blaine) has a tuner lined up. My goal is to be within 20% capability of this Jeep in the pics below. I will be on virtually the same suspension, steering and axles, tuned Foxes instead of the Kings, and I will be on 37"s instead of the 35"s he's on. I will be on a custom mid-arm suspension. Funny thing is my Jeep will be a tad taller than it used to be because I wanted even up and down travel. I had 3.5" up and 8+ down before which worked ok just in the rocks, but if I ever went more than 15mph on sand or a wash road I would bottom out. One key difference is that he does have a stroker 4.0 in there, but lost the custom tuned PCM during the race and still won over-all with stock HP/RPM parameters! Trust me I'm a believer when this rig beat out several rigs that were full blown Ultra 4/KOH rigs! Will I ever be the driver John Currie is...probably never, but I'll have fun trying!

Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #7356
sirhk100

Haven't seen it around. I did see it on craigslist with my weekly curiosity search list that I do. LOL

Camburg makes top notch parts so I wouldn't hesitate with the front suspension. With the shackle flip in the rear I'm not sure how it would affect the towing. Shouldn't be too noticeable but might be something to read up on and see if there's any negative affect to that mod with towing. It's a great swap for travel and offroad performance but may do some goofy things towing, hard to say... I can't believe the rear is still sitting that high though with stock leafs and flipped shackle but it's possible I guess. Looks like a great start though to a fun ride! Put a set of nice coilovers or even just a nice shock next to the coil up front, simple bedcage in the rear with some shocks and a good set of leafs and it would cruise pretty smooth in the dirt! Might wish it was a 351 instead of the 302 eventually depending how you use it...

Unread 03-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #7357
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasZJ
Any one know this truck ive been looking at it. I might pick it up this week would be a nice DD and i could pull my jeep with it

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/2864376278.html
I know that 5.0 isn't a HO and kind of a dog. It won't be the funnest thing to tow with.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #7358
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
Nope, no coilovers. As you mentioned shock valving is key and my builder (Blaine) has a tuner lined up. My goal is to be within 20% capability of this Jeep in the pics below. I will be on virtually the same suspension, steering and axles, tuned Foxes instead of the Kings, and I will be on 37"s instead of the 35"s he's on. I will be on a custom mid-arm suspension. Funny thing is my Jeep will be a tad taller than it used to be because I wanted even up and down travel. I had 3.5" up and 8+ down before which worked ok just in the rocks, but if I ever went more than 15mph on sand or a wash road I would bottom out. One key difference is that he does have a stroker 4.0 in there, but lost the custom tuned PCM during the race and still won over-all with stock HP/RPM parameters! Trust me I'm a believer when this rig beat out several rigs that were full blown Ultra 4/KOH rigs! Will I ever be the driver John Currie is...probably never, but I'll have fun trying!

Even not coilovers with just a good tunable shock it'll be night and day difference! Only advantage of the coilover is being able to run a longer more controled spring rate really. You can only get so much out of a standard coil in a bucket before it pops out or bows all goofy without the shock going thru it to control it's shape.

Fox, king, saw, bilstein, radflo, foa, whatever... all the same mostly so brand doesn't matter. What matters is that you rip them apart and tune them for your rig.

Any thoughts of tossing a hydro bump in there? Even a short 2" stroke one will make a WORLD of difference on the accidental hard hit or whoops I flew a bit higher then I meant to jump!

Are you thinking about competing or just keeping it a toy? Let me know when you're ready!!! I got a wired and blown race helmet and will have a fire suit soon! LOL Could possibly weasel a trade for shotgun seat time in the race truck later next year once we get the program a bit further along and bugs/details worked out... Eventually pass seat in my sections of the race will be up to whoever I want to toss in!

Unread 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #7359
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
I know that 5.0 isn't a HO and kind of a dog. It won't be the funnest thing to tow with.
Except for figure 8 boat trailer races I don't really think there's ever a need or reason to really be hauling butt with a trailer behind you anyways! LOL

Unread 03-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #7360
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

You can find old 7.3 power strokes for that price and it will have much better towing manners. It wont have the lift or bumpers but that's what I would do. If you go look at it make sure it has the c6 trans I think they were still using those for that year. If not just make sure it is the heavy duty trans or it's not going to last towing.

I think it is hilarious when those guys with huge tires towing even bigger 5th wheels think they need to go 100mph because they have a bully dog tuner. After 20,000 miles their trans is toast and they say I never should have bough that piece of crap, the trans only lasted 20,000 miles.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #7361
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
I wish I could help you with your dogs. We have three we have rescued and they are a handful. Maybe Polka could take them since his pig is gone.
We would have dogs but our lease won't let us. They look like wonderful dogs.

I would train them to do this https://www.facebook.com/MichalBende...2?notif_t=like

I didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest with the truck picture. I didn't eve know what a chase truck is. I just see so many vehicles around here that people try to make look like something but they are not. I assumed it was like Florida where everybody was putting giant wings on their civics after watching Fast and Furious. I always built my stuff for purpose not for the looks so yea it may have been ugly at times. Driving around without a front bumper is a bit different than adding stuff that doesn't make sense though. Some of these people around here would be driving Feiro's with Ferrari kits if they were still available. I am just not a fan of form without function.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #7362
vegasZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio

In stock form they are a tad under powered. But with the after market that's fixed pretty easy. Ive always liked prerunners and driving my excursion everyday is killing me in gas. I would just be using it to tow in town and use the excursion to tow out of state. Just seems that every time i take my jeep in the dirt i break it.
Unread 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #7363
sirhk100

Ditto on the C6 and also ditto on the people trashing transmissions while climbing grades with OD on and their foot to the floor the whole way! LOL

The rack in the back of that truck is probably for hauling spare tires for a race truck/buggy they support, dump cans, spare parts bins, etc... And the fiberglass is typically just to get the "look" of an offroad racer. The suspension under that thing could be pretty damn nice or not but chances are if it's a true chase truck doing true chase duties he needs the bigger tires for clearance to get back into places a truck like that shouldn't typically be to pull out a broken race vehicle.

If you've never been to a desert race the Mint next weekend will blow your mind!!! Last I saw there was around 80 unlimited trucks/buggies in the afternoon race and it'll change your view on what vehicles are capable of the first time you feel one go by let alone see them go by! 600-850hp vehicles at speed in the desert is VERY impressive!

Chase trucks...

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #7364
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

This is all just my opinion and I am by no means an expert. Just my thoughts.

Offsetting gas prices with another vehicle is a tricky beast. The purchase price+registration and insurance will buy a lot of gas. That f-150 is not nearly as efficient as your excursion. It has a smaller v8 but when you tow with it it will have to work much harder then the v10. I dont see much room for saving any money in that equation. It would be much more practical to buy a small econo car with a manual trans to save any money.

At the same time it looks like a good truck and at least fairly well looked after. It will probably put a smile on your face.

And again just my thoughts I don't know your situation or what makes sense for you. It's not an end of the world decision.
Unread 03-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #7365
sirhk100

LOL, I wasn't going to comment of the gas situation. I usually look at honda civics, toyota tercel, nissan sentra when I think of gas, not lifted F150 V8. But hey, I'm not going to sway him away from buying a potentially cool truck!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.