Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 49 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #721
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

mormon well road:

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #722
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

One of these next couple weeks I've been thinking about doing a scouting run on my dirt bike to check out something I've found on google earth to get down to the river. Then depending what I find I want to do a jeep run down there. The bike is better for scouting though and I can get in and out faster without worries of getting stuck. It would be cool to find a somewhat decent 4wd trail down to the river that would weed out all the gang bangers and kids that just want to go down and party in their honda civics! A trail where you actually have to work to get to the water would probably mean you have the beach to yourself!
DRAKEOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #723
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKEOFFROAD View Post
One of these next couple weeks I've been thinking about doing a scouting run on my dirt bike to check out something I've found on google earth to get down to the river. Then depending what I find I want to do a jeep run down there. The bike is better for scouting though and I can get in and out faster without worries of getting stuck. It would be cool to find a somewhat decent 4wd trail down to the river that would weed out all the gang bangers and kids that just want to go down and party in their honda civics! A trail where you actually have to work to get to the water would probably mean you have the beach to yourself!
That road I posted not too long ago is like that. Probably any 4wd could get down there, i used 2wd 90% of the time but put it in 4 on the way out because it was really loose gravel road.

You drive several miles down, then have to hike about half a mile down to a lil cove. Only people i have ever seen down there are people that pulled their kayaks off to the side and were having lunch.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 07-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #724
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Need to do some checking, heck it may be in an area off limits to motorized vehicles but if you follow this wash all the way out, other then a couple possibly tight areas it seems totally doable. Like I said, scout it on the bike to see if it's something worth while for the jeeps. There could already even be an old trail there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=las+ve...03798&t=h&z=18
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #725
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAKEOFFROAD
What's the catch with the 231? Why are you going away from the SYE setup?

Also, I pulled an axle with a friend for his ZJ about a year ago from the pic-a-part on boulder and they only charged us $100.
No catch, just don't have the money for a double cardan driveshaft right now. I'm expecting a kid so moneys tight. Just want to go wheeling and get the 4wd working as I've never driven this ZJ 4wd yet.

I forgot to check the boulder pic-a-part they proli are cheaper.
Unread 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM   #726
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well crap, I'm interested but like you wasn't exactly budgeting for a driveshaft right now. LOL I'm guessing you're looking to do this sooner then later correct? I'm busy this weekend but let me check some prices and funding and see if this is something I could possibly pull off for next weekend?

I'm not the jeep guru I used to be as I'm getting back into the scene still. I'm assuming the NP231 in the ZJ would be the same as the one in my '01 TJ?

You have your original driveshaft? Cause mine would be too short I'm assuming...
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #727
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Well crap, I'm interested but like you wasn't exactly budgeting for a driveshaft right now. LOL I'm guessing you're looking to do this sooner then later correct? I'm busy this weekend but let me check some prices and funding and see if this is something I could possibly pull off for next weekend?

I'm not the jeep guru I used to be as I'm getting back into the scene still. I'm assuming the NP231 in the ZJ would be the same as the one in my '01 TJ?

You have your original driveshaft? Cause mine would be too short I'm assuming...
I have my old driveshaft as it's in my vehicle in my crappy 249 with a broken viscous coupler.

The 231 in the TJ should work out as I believe its a 23 spline input shafts.
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #728
MikeSW214
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantasm View Post
I would be interested and would really like to explore but I am new here to Vegas so you'd have to let me meet up somewhere easy for me to find.
http://www.meetup.com/Desert-Wrangle...ents/23479521/

buts its on the 16th
MikeSW214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #729
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Need to do some checking, heck it may be in an area off limits to motorized vehicles but if you follow this wash all the way out, other then a couple possibly tight areas it seems totally doable. Like I said, scout it on the bike to see if it's something worth while for the jeeps. There could already even be an old trail there.

The closest way to get there via Jeep is on the roads I detail in the following post:

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...lderness-road/

The area is part of the Lake Mead National Rec Area, and they frown very heavily on traffic off of designated routes, and there are no designated routes to the water north of Nelson other than Burro Wash. That isn't to say you couldn't get there via Jeep ... I've been out there (on the designated routes that is) and you probably could, but if you got caught you would likely face some sort of governmental sanction. (And if you do get caught and need an attorney, hey, I can help you with that ...)
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #730
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You know what's funny is I ride on the south side of the highway that heads down to nelson quite a bit and see TONS of trails on the other side of the road but always thought it was off limits yet, the trails are there. I'm not one to go blaze trails, especially in the jeep which is partially why i start on the bike cause I figure it's a minimal impact and then I use common sense/best judgement as to if it's something worth following up with. Thanks for that post/info!
Unread 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #731
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Burrow (borough, burouh, something like that) wash is a 4wd trail, ends going between some canyon walls and opens out on the water. Only ever done it at night, but I can't imagine it is that frequently visited. Only problem is the water frontage is kinda tiny so if there is someone else down there it wouldn't be private
Tagsrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #732
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You know what's funny is I ride on the south side of the highway that heads down to nelson quite a bit and see TONS of trails on the other side of the road but always thought it was off limits yet, the trails are there. I'm not one to go blaze trails, especially in the jeep which is partially why i start on the bike cause I figure it's a minimal impact and then I use common sense/best judgement as to if it's something worth following up with. Thanks for that post/info!
You're right .... there's a lot of trails and routes south of Nelson. Just be careful once you're in the Lake Mead National Rec Area ... Not to over-plug my site, but you can get a Google Earth file of the boundaries here:

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...creation-area/

Out of the water approaches down there, the most difficult (relatively speaking) is the Fire Mountain Cove route, but it shouldn't be a problem for anyone with a wrangler for sure. It's win-win as far as I'm concerned, the drive is more enjoyable and you don't have to deal with as many other people because you're not getting a honda or a camper down there. I could see some parts of the road being a bit slippery in the rain, but that is only rarely a problem around here. Of course I can see rain from my window as I type this ...

http://davidson-law.net/blogs/jeepla...ain-cove-road/

I'm actually thinking about heading down there in the morning for a little swim with the family while it's relatively cool.
davidsonlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 06:36 PM   #733
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Oh I forgot to add that I'd also trade for a 242 t case not just a 231.
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #734
needmesome2
1997 ZJ 

Zj

Quote:

you can drive down that road i see trucks and people there I take my boat out from willows beach all the time iv seen spots that cars are getting down to the river but cant even see a road lol
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #735
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Anybody wanna buy this? Should be going on the market in a week or two...hopefully.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.