Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 47 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

We still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 07-01-2011, 12:55 PM   #691
YOJIK
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagsrover View Post
Finally got the dash painted, new head unit in, xm hard wired, and led master controler hard wired behind dash. Fifteen add a fuse and 100 wire splices later it's finally all put back together :-)
Looking good, what paint did you use?

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/yojiks-2006-tj-build-thread-1158011/"]My Build Thread[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f161/official-las-vegas-southern-nevada-wheelin-thread-1104394/"]Las Vegas Southern Nevada Thread[/URL]
YOJIK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #692
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

So who has some cooling upgrades? I can't run the AC without the temp climbing to 240+. I'm thinking 180 degree thermostat, high flow housing, new radiator, and an external trans cooler..
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:03 AM   #693
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
So who has some cooling upgrades? I can't run the AC without the temp climbing to 240+. I'm thinking 180 degree thermostat, high flow housing, new radiator, and an external trans cooler..
You don't need anything other than OEM parts. The 180deg thermostat will do nothing in terms of "running cooler". Thermo's only maintain a minimum temperature. Sounds to me like you may need to "upgrade" to NEW OEM parts (not Autozone crap). If your seeing 240 you have something else going on. When was the last time you flushed your entire system? radiator? Sounds to me like you could be needing a new fan clutch.

If you are seeing 240 with a 195deg thermo, you will still see that 240 with a 180.....Thermostats control the base temp. up to a certain point and then allow the fluid in the radiator to "swap" into the engine right?...

If you are going to install a new radiator, go OEM or at least OEM style!

Now for your AW4, you should get a gauge installed and monitor those temps first. You may (or may not) find sufficient cooling using only the radiator. If you start seeing abnormal temps then it would be feasible to add another cooler.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM   #694
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

K, here's my cooling theory.

Yes, a thermostat controls a "base" temp, but if that is the only temp it allows full flow at (even when "closed" it allows fluid to flow, just not full flow) then how can your engine ever run cooler than the thermostat temp?

What I'm saying is that regardless of the ability or efficiency of your cooling system, the 195 degree thermostat is ALWAYS going to make your engine run at an min temp of 195 because it doesnt allow flow at cooler temperatures. Even if you have the worlds greatest radiator, the t-stat is gonna keep the temp at 195, make sense?

The wagoneer has a factory 193 or 195 degree t-stat. The truck would regularly run at 210 when cruising around, that is "normal" this was winter, summer, whatever. I never overheated it, but last year when it was 115 outside, i brought the temp up to 240 while pushing up a hill at 55mph, and I did not like that.

I ended up having to replace my radiator because the original one sprung a leak. At the same time I put in a 180* tstat.

After that, through the whole fall and winter and spring, the truck never touched 191 degrees. always ran right at 190ish. Not only because of the new rad and flushed system, but because the radiator was ALLOWED TO COOL to a lower temperature by the thermostat being open sooner. Make sense?

So regardless of what radiator you put in (i have a chinese ebay aluminum 3 row) the thermostat will have an effect, however so do other things. I'd check your fan clutch, that can cause overheating at idle alot, but doesnt much matter at speed. Flush your system, new coolant (mix your own), maybe replace your old thermostat with a new stock temp one if its old.

Also remember, All my experience is on a 40 year old engine thats carbureted. There's no computer no temp sensor that kicks in for this that or the other. You're before OBDII, but i'm guessing you've still got some decent computer stuff going on under the hood.

Modern engines are designed to run at specific temperatures. You'll get ****ty fuel economy and have some other issues if your engine thinks its running out of spec, but I'm not sure how much computer controled crap you have. All i know is that my computer would need to be reprogrammed if I ever changed a thermostat in my magnum, because it wants and needs to run at 210 degrees.

hope this helps?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #695
RogerG
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xantasm View Post
Hey peeps, just moved to Las Vegas and wanted to say hi. Still getting settled but would be really interested in joining along for some runs if there any coming up soon. My rig specs are posted and coming from Reno I have done some of the more advanced trail runs there but sadly never timed it right to make the Rubicon and this year it is still snowed in and not doable I saw the thread about the different clubs here in Las Vegas and want to check them out but also wondered if anybody could recommend shops around town and any informal groups that just like random wheeling trips. I like club runs but I also really like small runs that are more technical where we can make more distance in a day without the gaggle effect.
Check out Vegas Valley 4 wheelers and Nevada Backroaders.I wheel with those guys alot specially VV4w but im not a member.I just cant commit myself to the required meetings.

06 Jeep Rubicon w/5.5" Teraflex long arm + 1" body lift rolling on 35-12.5-17 BFG KM2 on 7031 ProComp Alloys
RogerG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:17 AM   #696
DRAKEOFFROAD
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, someday I'll fix the factory plug on the back of my fan speed selector switch so that I can turn my ac back on. I'll say, I raced up in Caliente this past sat. You remember that smokin hot day???!!!! Well I left caliente driving home for vegas around 2:30 which brought me in at the peak of the heat pretty much. A/C??? It consisted of two 1 gallon water jugs on the pass floor board of which I poured over my head about every 5-10 minutes! LOL Worked AMAZING!!!

I usually have my scan gauge plugged in, especially on longer trips. The whole way home I never creeped over 220 and usually was more down in the 205 range. All stock cooling system with a pepboys water pump that I had to install last summer. If I can get my hands on a harness to splice in a new factory plug I'd love to have ac blowing some cold air over me even without the top on!
DRAKEOFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #697
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Speaking of overheating...anyone here running the Taurus electric fan conversion?
Tagsrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #698
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I overheated saturday, and now the jeep wont started. Im screwed.
Unread 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #699
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I dont have the Taurus fan but I do want to go and get it at a JY. You?

And how bad did it over heat?
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #700
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOJIK

Looking good, what paint did you use?
Duplicolor vinyl and cloth paint. Stuck right to it, no standing or priming. Hit it with about 6 or 7 coats (just used up all the paint I had) and then hit it with a generic clear coat
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #701
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ
Nothing besides the stock fan, but I rarely drive it in the day. I've seen a couple different conversions up close. Looks simple and can be done for 50-100 dollars depending on if you want automatic thermometer kick on or what else
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #702
sirlasvegas
1998 XJ Cherokee 

dry rotted POS hose blew off and dumped fluid everywhere, so the needle buried pretty quick. As my wife was pulling over she said it lost power to the accelerator. I let it cool down and replace the hose, but it wouldnt start after. Sounds lethargic and just rumbles around all over the place, wont actually fire up and run. Had the XJ less than 30 days
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #703
Tagsrover
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ
Nothing besides the stock fan, but I rarely drive it in the day. I've seen a couple different conversions up close. Looks simple and can be done for 50-100 dollars depending on if you want automatic thermometer kick on or what else
Unread 07-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #704
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I'm guessing she didn't notice it overheated soon enough?

Did you look at the oil? Was anything out of place?

My ZJ actually overheated in October and a bent a valve and needed the top end rebuilt. Mine sounded lethargic and had a horrible!! Clank to it. It actually sounded like it was running on half a cylinder it was that bad.
Unread 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #705
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also take a look at your distributor to make sure it's clean
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.