Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#901 ·
Is that white Bronco still abandoned up there? I first came across it just a few days after the owner left it. He had a note on the dash saying he'd be back. It had his phone number, so I gave him a call to let him know his Bronco was destroyed.

Last I saw even the VIN was stripped. I still have the pictures I took of his note with his phone number somewhere.

#902 ·
I'm sure if anyone has a motive to remove the VIN number it is the guy that abandoned it and should be responsible to pay the costs to remove it from the mountains. I would love to see the guy forced to deal with the problem he left for everyone else to have to contend with.

#905 ·
He seemed like a nice enough guy on the phone. He sounded like he wanted it back, but the cost was well over his head.

If anyone can confirm it's still up there I'll look through my old pictures and try to find his phone number. Who would I pass that info to?
Was it at the top of the pass? I would call the Red Rock NCA and ask to be put in touch with whomever handles law enforcement issues out there. I'm not sure if BLM handles that for them ...

#906 ·
I'm sure if anyone has a motive to remove the VIN number it is the guy that abandoned it and should be responsible to pay the costs to remove it from the mountains. I would love to see the guy forced to deal with the problem he left for everyone else to have to contend with.
or somebody looking to rebuild or illegally title something.

#907 ·
I'll head up there on Tuesday and see if it's still there. I'm surprised someone hasn't rolled it off a cliff yet.

Anyone else seen those homeless mountain people at Rocky Gap? I've seen them at several camp sites. I always give them bottled water when I see them, but never money. I've heard from a few female hikers that they can get a little aggressive if they don't give them money.

#908 ·
Anyone else seen those homeless mountain people at Rocky Gap? I've seen them at several camp sites. I always give them bottled water when I see them, but never money. I've heard from a few female hikers that they can get a little aggressive if they don't give them money.
That's pretty creepy. Certainly another reason to carry protection, or at least a can of pepper spray.

#910 ·
Rocky Gap is cross jurisdictional. The eastern side is the Red Rock NCA (of course) which is managed by the BLM, but has different rules than what is generally applicable on BLM lands. Basically, unless you are hunting in accordance with state law, you can't have a loaded weapon in the Red Rock NCA and you are prohibited from "intentionally" discharging a weapon unless you are hunting. Is the BLM going to give you a hassle for shooting an unarmed, but aggressive, hobo?

The western side of the trail crosses into land operated by the Forest Service. There's a sign (or used to be a sign) designating the boundary.

#911 ·
I've been over Rocky Gap through the Lovell side many times and only saw one sign on the Scenic Loop side about it being a non-maintained road. Ive asked the same boundary question to at three other people and got at least different answers.

I haven't confirmed it, but the opinion I trusted most was from one of those Pink Jeep Tour drivers. He said he wasn't sure who controlled the land, but as far as he knew the Red Rock Conservation area ended at the La Madre wash. Anything beyond that was out of park control. Still vague, but he did narrow the boundary.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.