Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 415 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #6211
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Looks like rain down south so, we're probably skipping the mines or going on short notice. Might even end up in a salvage yard instead looking for lights. After the trail the other night, I really should get something.

Unread 02-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #6212
Lasvjeep
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff

Nope. I checked to make sure it is locking and unlocking like it is supposed to. I haven't read anything on them not disengaging. All the stuff I've seen is on them not engaging if the cable isn't adjusted right.

You get those seats in the cj yet?
Nope right after I picked em up I blew the whole exhaust off her finally got that squared drive to work on the way home hit a construction pothole on the 95 with my right tire and split a balljoint in two 3 days of hammering rust get new ones in and now she us outta control over 50 so I figure I'll put em in when theres no danger of getting oh sh%% stains in em

is the noise on acceleration or decel or constant... If it's accel then you have main bearing/ring issues if it's decel usually pinion bearing/gear issues if constant prob something in your locker (spider assem on a normal diff) or in the wear pattern of the ring/pinion mesh
Lasvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #6213
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Mine is constant. So you would suspect the spiders then huh?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:56 PM   #6214
Lasvjeep
1980 CJ7 

It's almost impossible without hearing it to say is it a howl grind pop
Unread 02-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #6215
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It sounds like metal on metal almost like shhhhhhh. Like bad brake rotors or metal balls in a can kind of. Not a howl or pop. It's there all the time and doesn't change with speed.
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #6216
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
It's there all the time and doesn't change with speed.
Even at idle?
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #6217
Lasvjeep
1980 CJ7 

Yeah you prob have a smoked bearing it's got fluid in it right ) (i know but I gotta ask)
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #6218
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasvjeep View Post
Yeah you prob have a smoked bearing it's got fluid in it right ) (i know but I gotta ask)
Yea, it's got Royal Purple in it. So you think a pinion bearing? Bunny, it doesn't make noise at idle. Smartass
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #6219
Lasvjeep
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
Even at idle?
I just caught that as.... I dont see how it couldn't differ with speed or rpm change
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #6220
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nope right after I picked em up I blew the whole exhaust off her finally got that squared drive to work on the way home hit a construction pothole on the 95 with my right tire and split a balljoint in two 3 days of hammering rust get new ones in and now she us outta control over 50 so I figure I'll put em in when theres no danger of getting oh sh%% stains in em

is the noise on acceleration or decel or constant... If it's accel then you have main bearing/ring issues if it's decel usually pinion bearing/gear issues if constant prob something in your locker (spider assem on a normal diff) or in the wear pattern of the ring/pinion mesh
Low growl during slow accel thru first, second and third gear. Starts to get drowned out by the tire noise faster than that. Goes away when I let off skinny pedal or push in clutch. Reminds me of a bad outer axle shaft bearing but I checked those. No play at axle end. Sounds like it's coming from some heavy cast iron.... Like inside the carrier housing.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #6221
Lasvjeep
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff

Low growl during slow accel thru first, second and third gear. Starts to get drowned out by the tire noise faster than that. Goes away when I let off skinny pedal or push in clutch. Reminds me of a bad outer axle shaft bearing but I checked those. No play at axle end. Sounds like it's coming from some heavy cast iron.... Like inside the carrier housing.
Yeah I'm guessin your mains are gone expect a rebuild (
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #6222
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I originally thought a smoked pinion cuz I was doing about 80 mph for the forty miles back from Mormon Well. I've never driven it that fast. I was thinking maybe at that speed the pinion wasn't getting enough fluid due to the pinion angle... About 21*.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #6223
Lasvjeep
1980 CJ7 

Quote:

Yea, it's got Royal Purple in it. So you think a pinion bearing? Bunny, it doesn't make noise at idle. Smartass
You have peaked my intrest the faster you go the faster everything in there spins wich no matter the problem should make some sort of change
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #6224
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Bunny, it doesn't make noise at idle. Smartass
I have some new meds. Everything is funny. Weeeeeee!
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #6225
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I have some new meds. Everything is funny. Weeeeeee!
Lucky Bastard!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.