Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 387 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5791
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I see they sell the 50 watt UHF and VHF systems. Spending $400 and up is out of my price range. If we could get a group buy of those at a good price, I'd want a set. The 50 watt systems are good for 30+ miles. More if they hit a repeater.

I'm pretty sure I saw that CB at Frye's. New around $40. I almost got one, but if I was getting a CB, I'd want weather channels.

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5792
sirhk100

YSB, I've got one of those HSX370 handheld units that are on the table. I think they're letting those go for $150. They also have a HYT TC-500 Handheld Radio they're selling for $75. I don't know the details on what frequencies those operate on but I've got one of the HSX370 handhelds that's preprogrammed with the main race freq's that are used offroad and I get great reception with it. Not sure how far it transmits though. Possibly google those and see if either of them are possibly inline for what you're looking for?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #5793
sirhk100

Closer picture of your silver boxes...

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #5794
sirhk100

I'm picking up one of these for the truck.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=158_161&pro ducts_id=31

And 2 of these to go with it.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=111_22&prod ucts_id=17

Total price with this deal for that entire package is $325!!!! That's why I'm jumping on it right now and since I'm ordering I'm getting one of those uniden cb's also for the jeep. I've got an intercom system in my truck currently but it's old and beat up so it's just time to upgrade imo at those prices!

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #5795
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

This makes the $35 not sound like that good of a deal, esp if it is sold as is, with no warranty.

http://www.frys.com/product/448026?s...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM   #5796
sirhk100

Agreed, if you guys want to hold off, just let me know. No biggie to me... That's why I posted up the quoted part so that there wasn't anything unknown or shady going down. I'm picking one up for myself either way along with the intercom setup.

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #5797
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Possibly google those and see if either of them are possibly inline for what you're looking for?
Kind of what I want, but I'd need something with higher power than the handhelds for distance. The only option for distance would be the vehicle mounted units, but unless there are others with them I'd be talking to myself.

I got a CB from someone in this group, but I wasn't told it could receive, but not transmit. Kind of useless for communication. Maybe he didn't know the radio was crap. Since it's used, I never made it an issue.

I'll probably get another CB just so I can have weather channels. Frye's has some really nice ones in the $80 range with weather and mic amps. They also have larger speakers which I kind of need in my loud Jeep.

For short distances or vehicle to vehicle, the GMRS frequencies work just fine. I was really surprised they worked in mines. I'm not quite sure how radio frequencies work. I know they work best line of sight, but they also bounce. I'm wondering if the frequencies are bounced and funneled in the mines.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #5798
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
This makes the $35 not sound like that good of a deal, esp if it is sold as is, with no warranty.

http://www.frys.com/product/448026?s...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
Yeah, I thought I saw the same one there. No shipping of course. They have it in stock. Good warranty and you can return it locally.

They even have some there with bluetooth.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #5799
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post

They even have some there with bluetooth.
What's that? Something you get from not brushing? I knew a girl once with a blue tooth. She claimed it was from a bad filling but I knew better. It really didn't matter once the lights were off.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #5800
sirhk100

The cobra CB that's in my jeep right now has weather but the cb part doesn't seem to work very well which is why I figure $35 for this uniden one and move on. I had basically this same uniden unit like 15 years ago in my old CJ7 and never had an issue with it.

Unread 02-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #5801
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

You get it from blowing Smurf's.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #5802
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

well if you are shady like me, you could always buy the one for 35... and if you have issues just buy the one from fry's, then return your broken one. haha!! I doubt they are recording serial numbers on anything that cheap.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #5803
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I'll be back later. I have some stuff to do in the garage.
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #5804
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

so pissed. I had my day planned out to slack off at work and watch the twin 125's... but no, I have to attend a last minute video conference. WTF
Unread 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #5805
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

You'd make a terrible villain if the scope of your capers is a mere $5.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.