Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 354 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 02-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #5296
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Heading down the trail to the next set of mines.

It was a long climb up to this one. While sitting just outside catching my breath, a lizard ran across my hand and I flipped the hell out. I thought it was a snake.

img_7603.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #5297
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

We were seeing open adits well above us, but there wasn't anywhere to place climbing anchors. I was thinking that would be the end of it since my wife has been very protective of me lately. She surprised me by taking point up the mountain. Check out that drop to the right. Just across that valley, you can see another open adit.
img_7618.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #5298
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

This is something we never would have seen had we not made the climb. Not sure if this was storage or a cabin, but it's still holding steady. There was nothing inside, but rodent bedding.
dsc00654.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #5299
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Just as we were getting ready to enter the next mine, it started to snow. That didn't really bother me much. I can handle a little snow. We went in and found this winch. It looked like it was designed to transport people rather than ore.
dscf0409.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #5300
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

When we came across this, we went back out to get our climbing gear. Old ladders are fun, but we wouldn't attempt a long climb without rope. There was much more to the ladder below. This part is more stairs than ladder. When we got out of the mine, it was pouring rain. Again, I'm fine with a little snow, but we were in a mountain valley and just out of that valley is a huge wash. Floods happen so fast out there, so we talked ourselves out of staying and headed out of the mountains. It's definitely somewhere we'll visit next week.
_mg_5811.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #5301
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here is a scene we came across along I-15. You can see the sheet they used to cover the driver. I won't be sharing the rest of that scene. Poor guy won't be going home tonight.
img_7688.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #5302
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Last picture. Not sure what this is we found. It's still embedded in the rock. I didn't want to risk damaging it by removing it. It looks like a shark tooth, but I haven't identified it yet.
2012-02-15_14-42-43_831.jpg  
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #5303
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
Last picture. Not sure what this is we found. It's still embedded in the rock. I didn't want to risk damaging it by removing it. It looks like a shark tooth, but I haven't identified it yet.
You are correct YSB, that is a shark tooth. This whole area was under a shallow sea 25 or so million years ago. So you finding thay tooth is awesome! Congratz on the find!
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #5304
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Megaladon!
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #5305
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
You are correct YSB, that is a shark tooth. This whole area was under a shallow sea 25 or so million years ago. So you finding thay tooth is awesome! Congratz on the find!
I knew this area was underwater at some time. It's easy to see the sediment layers in the mountains. Not really sure what types of sharks would be around the same time this area was submerged. I think I was right around 4500 feet up. Back where we lived in Florida, we were about 8 feet above sea level. It's at the lower elevations I would expect to find fossil sharks teeth. They are commonly found around river banks.

What has me scratching my head with this find is it was found at the same elevation as land dinosaurs. At that elevation, I would expect to see simple trilobites and small shelled animals.

Last edited by YouStupidBunny; 02-15-2012 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Added some info.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #5306
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Megaladon!
I have two megalodon teeth, but none were found locally.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5307
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I knew this area was underwater at some time. It's easy to see the sediment layers in the mountains. Not really sure what types of sharks would be around the same time this area was submerged. I think I was right around 4500 feet up. Back where we lived in Florida, we were about 8 feet above sea level. I'm guessing the best stuff is still underwater.

What has me scratching my head with this find is it was found at the same elevation as land dinosaurs.
It was put there by Satan to trick us into believing evolution.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #5308
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I know a few people that would actually believe that, Polka. Well, not that Satan himself did it, but that there is a scientific conspriracy against God and evolution.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #5309
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
I know a few people that would actually believe that, Polka. Well, not that Satan himself did it, but that there is a scientific conspriracy against God and evolution.
Those people are usually in very rural areas with little to no funding for education in my experience.
Unread 02-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #5310
smiiile
2012 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
I have some friend with some rock equipment - he might be willing to help
You get at what is inside....

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.