Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 298 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 02-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #4456
USMCJacob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Nobody here would care. there are antenas and sattelite dishes all over the place. i got the links you sent bunny and those aren't the kind of radios you want. those are repeaters but not really. they repeat as far as the base can throw a signal. maybe ten to 20 miles on a clear day. what you want are the radios that can hit the repeater towers that rebroadcast your signal. sets of 5 of the ones you want are around $2000 and up used on ebay but that was a really good set. the ad said they were in abulences.

USMCJacob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #4457
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Yeah, you're right. I was looking at the wrong type of radios. Maybe that idea isn't going to work. Maybe hook up an illegal amplfier to a CB.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #4458
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
Yeah, you're right. I was looking at the wrong type of radios. Maybe that idea isn't going to work. Maybe hook up an illegal amplfier to a CB.
Nearly every big rig has! My stock radio barely sounds up on theirs, or so I've been told! I think somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 watts would do nicely! My dad used to run a yaesu ft101 at around 250 watts! He could talk to people in their refrigerators and at one point was talking over channel 8. The FCC showed up with a search warrant for his shed, but the radio was in a trailer. They had to leave and come back, but by the time they came back, there was no radio equipment in the trailer. He got out of it shortly after that! People started getting shot and fighting over radio "clubs"
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #4459
smiiile
2012 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
People started getting shot and fighting over radio "clubs"
Seriously??? People are idiots!

And YSB just doesn't want to die a slow death down a mine shaft never to be found; leaving his wife to wonder if he is living his life somewhere with his 'other' family
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #4460
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The first rule of "Radio Club" is that we don't talk about "Radio Club".
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #4461
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Found this posted on a meetup site by a volunteer pilot helping in the Ron Kirk search around Red Rock.

Quote:
When a search plane flies overhead it would really help if you people on the ground would not wave both of your arms up to say hello. We're not looking for you.
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #4462
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
If anyone is considering looking for Ron Kirk, here are the latest maps.

http://www.vegashikers.com/Ron_Kirk_SR/index.html
Did Potato Ridge today (in a fully stock TJ with 31s) and didn't see anything resembling a person out there. Hope they find something soon.
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #4463
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I hope so too, but everyone should realize by now this is a recovery and not a rescue anymore. Feel terrible for the family. Hopefully, they'll get some closure.

I knew a family growing up whose daughter went missing. I was maybe 8 or 9 at the time. My Mom still sees the family occasionally and said that girls room still looks exactly the same way it did the day she went missing. After all these years, they're still hoping. That's almost 30 years.
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM   #4464
Poison3DSpider

I think, this could be the answer. Ham radio, on a SHOE STRING budget.
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #4465
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
Did Potato Ridge today (in a fully stock TJ with 31s) and didn't see anything resembling a person out there. How they find something soon.
I don't think we'll be heading out there Tuesday. The friends we have flying in would have flown in early to help if there was a chance he was still alive, but not for a recovery.

I'll tell them there are some cool slots we can rope into around there anyway. If I don't sell it as a recovery, they might want to go.
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #4466
dwink
2012 JK Wrangler 

Installed the rallylights.com headlight upgrade today- very easy.

I will try them tonight and report back.
2012 Wrangler Rubicon- OME 2.5 HD lift, adjustable lower control arms, Adjustable sway bar links, AEV rear bumper/carrier, Rugged Ridge XHD front, Hella Rallylight upgrade, MORE skids, 315/70 DuraTracs on stock wheels for the winter, working on my summer setup.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dwink/wrangler-2][IMG]http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/sig-us/102069.png[/IMG][/URL]

Retired.... but a good friend still has her! 1990 YJ 3" Trailmaster 258 Jasper re-manufactured engine. Nuttered. Webbered (38). Team Rushed. Headers. Cancel that Webbered- went to a Howell FI setup.
dwink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #4467
smiiile
2012 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison3DSpider

I told my BF about the research you all were doing looking for communication devices and my (highly technological) BF just couldn't believe you were going back to good 'ole radio waves across the air!! Haha

Sometimes all this new technology doesn't get the job done (was the text I sent to his iPhone- haha)
Unread 02-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #4468
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison3DSpider View Post
Something like this might have worked, but we'd need a better deal than $2000.
http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...03&acctID=1001

There's 8 to the set, but that would still come to $250 for each.
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #4469
USMCJacob
2004 TJ Wrangler 

that set looked good ysb but that price was ouch!

smiiile all wireless is radio wave. your cell phone is a weaker repeater than what were looking at. did your boyrriend have any ides?
USMCJacob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #4470
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Jacob, you seem cool enough, but godammit your shyt is hard to read.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.