Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 294 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 02-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #4396
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Nothing would work down a mine shaft unless it was practically line of sight communications like walkie's. I really just need something that says "I'm about to go into a mine at these coords." and "I'm out of the mine".

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #4397
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I was just looking through the GlobalStar site. They have an unlimited talk and data plan for $39.99. That might work, but I already have AT&T and I really don't want to add another monthly expense. If I didn't already have a cell plan with a new phone, that would be a good option. Not crossing it off my list though.

http://globalstar.com/en/

Interesting. The Spot Messenger we were originally talking about uses the GlobalStar network.
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #4398
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
There is a picture with 5 grids on it for Saturday on that Facebook page. The slots are being covered that day.

Dave Cummings is in charge of the civilian search. He has been in contact with metro and BLM. It has now turned into a civilian only search. Last I heard metro did a heli pass a couple of days after he was reported missing, but that's all.

I'm heading out Saturday. They are actually looking for some people with 4x4 to shuttle some people out to the brownstone area. I'm going to take +3 with me.

Negative, Metro has spent 9 hours up there not only with helicopters but also with Search and Rescue Officers....
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #4399
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Scratch Globalstar and probably the Spot messenger that uses their satellites. It seems that they still don't have perpetual service meaning it's only available in phases or certain times. Service is dependant on satellites overhead. There isn't always one overhead. I'd need something more reliable. Still it would be better than nothing, but I need to research more.
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:14 PM   #4400
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are gps beacons that skiers use, but they need to be activated and won't work in a mine either. Remember the guy up near Elko that fell in a mine while riding. They couldn't get him out an he just laid down there and died. They had to leave him!
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #4401
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

I'm looking for a 22 rifle for my 7 year old son. Ideas comments suggestions?!?!
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #4402
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1985cj View Post
I'm looking for a 22 rifle for my 7 year old son. Ideas comments suggestions?!?!
Big 5 has some good deals on nice rifles from time to time.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #4403
smiiile
2012 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1985cj
Don't ever ground him.....
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #4404
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

^big 5 has some ruger 10-22s right now for a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff

Negative, Metro has spent 9 hours up there not only with helicopters but also with Search and Rescue Officers....
I guess what I meant its a civilian lead SAR at this point
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4405
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1985cj
Find an old bolt action or single shot break action. No semi autos until they can consistently hit soda cans at 50yds. Then mount a scope on said bolt action and repeat at 100yds. With a semi he will spray and pray! Marlin makes a decent bolt action, or of you're loaded, buy a Thompson center encore frame and a 22lr barrel. It's single shot/action and can be configured to any rifle/pistol caliber imaginable and can be either a rifle or pistol. Also don't allow him to use the rifle until he's read owners manual cover to cover and can disassemble and reassemble it for cleaning.
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #4406
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiiile

Don't ever ground him.....
If you have concerns in this department, he's not mature enough to be around firearms! Wait a few years and be aware of attitude!
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #4407
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I second the ruger 10/22. I have one and shoot it all the time and it puts a smile on my face. Then as he gets older you can upgrade the crap out of it. If you don't get the ruger you will regret it. Best 22 out there. But then again I'm a ruger guy.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #4408
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

You guys don't think 7 is a little young for a firearm? I was thinking maybe a pellet gun to teach him basic safety. Gamo makes some extremely powerful ones. That's how I started. Pellet gun around 9 or 10.

Move up when he shows discipline and can hold a 3.0 grade point average. Dumbarses shouldn't have guns anyway.
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #4409
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I was shooting a 16g shotgun at 8yrs old. It was a Stevenson single shot. My dad and I were hunting rabbits near Ely.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #4410
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
You guys don't think 7 is a little young for a firearm? I was thinking maybe a pellet gun to teach him basic safety. Gamo makes some extremely powerful ones. That's how I started. Pellet gun around 9 or 10.

Move up when he shows discipline and can hold a 3.0 grade point average. Dumbarses shouldn't have guns anyway.
I was shooting a .22 when I was three, but I was a mature three.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.