Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#5,784 ·
I know YSB is pushing the handheld GMRS radios or whatever but if anyone is interested... I'm 99% this afternoon I'm going to be putting in an order for a new intercom system for my truck thru a company that's having a smoking sale right now! They're selling off all the equipment they demo'd out at king of the hammers for super cheap. It's all been tested and still functional. Anyways, they're offering the CB below for $35. Since it's outta state there will be no sales tax and since I'm buying the intercom shipping is free so it just a straight $35. I don't know how many units they're selling but I'm going to buy one for my jeep as the CB I currently have in it is beat to crap and I don't think it even works. If anyone else wants one speak up before mid afternoon and I'll toss it on my order assuming they have the supply. (in the pictures they're posting they're only showing 2 so they might have more, they might not...)

http://www.uniden.com/cb-radios/compact-professional-mobile-cb-radio/invt/pro520xlg/

#5,790 ·
Okay, so I'm in for 3 plus mine... Like I said, I don't know how many they have at that price. If I can only get 1, sorry, it's mine. LOL, if there's 2 I'll give first dibs as the replies are on here going down the list and so on and so on to try and be fair. I'll get what I can though... They should be a straight $35 and I'm going to just throw it on my Visa so you can pay me when I get them to you assuming they have more then one. Like I said,they've got 2 sitting on the table in the picture so that might be all they have. I'm not sure...

Here's the verbiage associated with the deal just fyi...

Now that we're back from KOH 2012, it's time to let go of all our demo products. We put together a table full of merchandise at rock bottom prices. Items range from slightly dusty to pre-opened packages, but all items have been quality checked and come with standard rugged warranty. Inventory level varies per product.

Get yours on a first come, first served basis!
*All items are sold as is with no exchanges.
*Free ground shipping on all orders over $100.00 in Continental US
I'll be spending more then $100 on my intercom setup alone so shipping is free no matter what...

YSB, yes, those are the intercom boxes. They aren't the one I'm getting but that's what they are for sure.

My guess is they sell repeater stuff... http://www.ruggedradios.com/

#5,791 ·
I see they sell the 50 watt UHF and VHF systems. Spending $400 and up is out of my price range. If we could get a group buy of those at a good price, I'd want a set. The 50 watt systems are good for 30+ miles. More if they hit a repeater.

I'm pretty sure I saw that CB at Frye's. New around $40. I almost got one, but if I was getting a CB, I'd want weather channels.

#5,792 ·
YSB, I've got one of those HSX370 handheld units that are on the table. I think they're letting those go for $150. They also have a HYT TC-500 Handheld Radio they're selling for $75. I don't know the details on what frequencies those operate on but I've got one of the HSX370 handhelds that's preprogrammed with the main race freq's that are used offroad and I get great reception with it. Not sure how far it transmits though. Possibly google those and see if either of them are possibly inline for what you're looking for?

#5,794 ·
I'm picking up one of these for the truck.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=158_161&products_id=31

And 2 of these to go with it.

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=111_22&products_id=17

Total price with this deal for that entire package is $325!!!! That's why I'm jumping on it right now and since I'm ordering I'm getting one of those uniden cb's also for the jeep. I've got an intercom system in my truck currently but it's old and beat up so it's just time to upgrade imo at those prices!

#5,796 ·
Agreed, if you guys want to hold off, just let me know. No biggie to me... That's why I posted up the quoted part so that there wasn't anything unknown or shady going down. I'm picking one up for myself either way along with the intercom setup.

#5,797 ·
Possibly google those and see if either of them are possibly inline for what you're looking for?
Kind of what I want, but I'd need something with higher power than the handhelds for distance. The only option for distance would be the vehicle mounted units, but unless there are others with them I'd be talking to myself.

I got a CB from someone in this group, but I wasn't told it could receive, but not transmit. Kind of useless for communication. Maybe he didn't know the radio was crap. Since it's used, I never made it an issue.

I'll probably get another CB just so I can have weather channels. Frye's has some really nice ones in the $80 range with weather and mic amps. They also have larger speakers which I kind of need in my loud Jeep.

For short distances or vehicle to vehicle, the GMRS frequencies work just fine. I was really surprised they worked in mines. I'm not quite sure how radio frequencies work. I know they work best line of sight, but they also bounce. I'm wondering if the frequencies are bounced and funneled in the mines.

#5,800 ·
The cobra CB that's in my jeep right now has weather but the cb part doesn't seem to work very well which is why I figure $35 for this uniden one and move on. I had basically this same uniden unit like 15 years ago in my old CJ7 and never had an issue with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.