Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 256 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #3826
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Went to Goodsprings again to look for trails and mines we missed. We found a few, but nothing worth posting about. From there, we headed north along Cottonwood Pass. Saw more horses and burros.

Peaks from Potosi all the way to Mt. Charleston are snow capped. Not at all saying it's not passable, but definitely more hazardous compared to dry. There are so many trails around here at lower elevations that are safer. Why risk it?

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #3827
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Went to Goodsprings again to look for trails and mines we missed. We found a few, but nothing worth posting about. From there, we headed north along Cottonwood Pass. Saw more horses and burros.

Peaks from Potosi all the way to Mt. Charleston are snow capped. Not at all saying it's not passable, but definitely more hazardous compared to dry. There are so many trails around here at lower elevations that are safer. Why risk it?
WHORES and BURGERS! We can walk it ahead and turn around if needed. Don't under estimate the ZJ
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #3828
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If you get the right one, your whore may look like hamburger. Two birds with one stone, right?
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:29 AM   #3829
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
If you get the right one, your whore may look like hamburger. Two birds with one stone, right?
ewww!
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #3830
sirhk100

And the thread hit a new low!

No progress on the Jeep last night. Picking up a SYE kit today though from Adam's Driveline. Then hoping tonight to drop the t-case, install the kit, reinstall t-case and be right back to where I'm at right now. I'll have to install it and get a measurement for them before I can have them build my new rear driveshaft. I'm also going to have to install new upper arms in the rear that are adjustable so I can dial in the pinion angle but I'll do that at the very end of everything. So basically I'm hoping to nail down everything on the T-case tonight. Then tomorrow start figuring out what it's going to take to get the skidplate mounted back up. Hopefully I can remember to buy the new mounting bolts I'll need for where the skidplate mounts to the frame tomorrow during the day so I'm not having to run for parts or wait on moving forward if somehow things just kinda work out tomorrow night. I'm starting to get excited to have a jeep with a 3rd peddle like I'm used to!!! I'm also excited to not have a 1.5" drop on my skidplate anymore either!!!

After all this I got a solid day or so of dirt bike labor, then clean up the garage and bring in the race truck. While I'm doing that build I should hopefully be able to easily save up enough to tackle the rear axle upgrade on my jeep. I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing there though. Either a super 35 kit or an 8.8 swap. I really think cost wise the super 35 is the better way to go and is way easier labor wise. I just don't know strength between the two and need to do some research on the true setup cost of an 8.8 and weigh it all out to see which way to go. All I know is I want a rear axle with 4.56 gears to match my front and a locker that can withstand some average wheeling on 33"-35" tires.
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #3831
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Just stay away from sand paper Sally
Unread 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #3832
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
And the thread hit a new low!

No progress on the Jeep last night. Picking up a SYE kit today though from Adam's Driveline. Then hoping tonight to drop the t-case, install the kit, reinstall t-case and be right back to where I'm at right now. I'll have to install it and get a measurement for them before I can have them build my new rear driveshaft. I'm also going to have to install new upper arms in the rear that are adjustable so I can dial in the pinion angle but I'll do that at the very end of everything. So basically I'm hoping to nail down everything on the T-case tonight. Then tomorrow start figuring out what it's going to take to get the skidplate mounted back up. Hopefully I can remember to buy the new mounting bolts I'll need for where the skidplate mounts to the frame tomorrow during the day so I'm not having to run for parts or wait on moving forward if somehow things just kinda work out tomorrow night. I'm starting to get excited to have a jeep with a 3rd peddle like I'm used to!!! I'm also excited to not have a 1.5" drop on my skidplate anymore either!!!

After all this I got a solid day or so of dirt bike labor, then clean up the garage and bring in the race truck. While I'm doing that build I should hopefully be able to easily save up enough to tackle the rear axle upgrade on my jeep. I'm not sure what the heck I'm doing there though. Either a super 35 kit or an 8.8 swap. I really think cost wise the super 35 is the better way to go and is way easier labor wise. I just don't know strength between the two and need to do some research on the true setup cost of an 8.8 and weigh it all out to see which way to go. All I know is I want a rear axle with 4.56 gears to match my front and a locker that can withstand some average wheeling on 33"-35" tires.
IMO a super 35 is just a polished turd. The 8.8 is slightly stronger than a trussed D 44 aluminum. These guys make an 8.8 bracket kit. The spare pars for the 8.8 are all over the place and easy to get as well. http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...Code=IR-ZF88BK

Here are some specifics
Quote:
Dana 60
Ring Gear Diameter = 9.750"
Pinion shaft Diameter = 1.626"
Ring Gear Bolt Count = 12
Pinion Spline = 29
Cover Bolt Count = 10

Dana 44 a
Ring Gear Diameter = 8.5"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.625"
Ring Gear Bolt Count = 10
Pinion Spline = 29
Cover Bolt Count = 10

Dana 44 Iron
Ring Gear Diameter=8.500"
Pinion shaft Diameter=1.376"
Ring Gear Bolt Count=10
Pinion Spline=26
Cover Bolt Count=10

Ford 8.8
Ring Gear Diameter = 8.8"
Pinion Shaft Diameter = 1.625"
Ring Gear Bolt Count = 10
Pinion Spline = 30
Cover Bolt Count = 10
Axle shafts = 1.32" 31 spline
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #3833
sirhk100

The thing with the super 35 kit is I'm looking at $1070 from quad for the axles and locker. I sometimes get a decent discount off that. Ford 8.8, I don't think I have connection on pricing so I've got retail.

I'm pulling the following prices quickly off google, I'm sure I can shop for better pricing when it comes time.

Ford 8.8 I'm looking at $100 for the axle pulled out of the pick-a-part. (did this about a year ago with a friend)
Bracket Mounting Kit ($250)
4.56 gears ($215 Summit)
Detroit Locker ($650 Summit, chose detroit to keep it apples to apples)
Conversion pinion flange or u-joint? ($ ??? probably pretty cheap though)
Plus my labor, cuss words, headache of the install.

Labor to install the gears is a wash cause gears would have to be reset on my D35 with the super install anyways.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #3834
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
The thing with the super 35 kit is I'm looking at $1070 from quad for the axles and locker. I sometimes get a decent discount off that. Ford 8.8, I don't think I have connection on pricing so I've got retail.

I'm pulling the following prices quickly off google, I'm sure I can shop for better pricing when it comes time.

Ford 8.8 I'm looking at $100 for the axle pulled out of the pick-a-part. (did this about a year ago with a friend)
Bracket Mounting Kit ($250)
4.56 gears ($215 Summit)
Detroit Locker ($650 Summit, chose detroit to keep it apples to apples)
Conversion pinion flange or u-joint? ($ ??? probably pretty cheap though)
Plus my labor, cuss words, headache of the install.

Labor to install the gears is a wash cause gears would have to be reset on my D35 with the super install anyways.
Aren't the axles for the S 35 way more expensive if you break one? The 8.8 is definitely more work but in the long run I think it's a better choice. Especially if they are close on price.
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #3835
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I'll be looking at an older one. I want to stay under $10K on anything I'm daily driving basically in hopes of paying it off within a year or so. Definitely going manual also like you say. I'm over automatic cars in general.

I've heard VW's in general have gremlins? Specifically electrical ones which scares me a bit... Having owned 6 of them, any truth or experience in that?

On that '03 TDI any issues in general really other then not liking the transmission? Have you heard of any 100K+ mileage issues? I would assume the motor is like any other diesel and good for what seems to be forever but does the rest of the car generally hold up?
in buying a used one I would use a vagcom to read the codes and other block info. I currently have one that will read up till 2004.5's As far as maintenance goes, I would change the timing belt for safety. It not only turns the cam but it also turns the water pump and injection pump on the 1.9. With that said, while in there it is a very worthwhile investment to change the water pump too. There are a few specific tools required for this job, most of which are for calibrating the injection pump.
The only issue that I ever had was I snapped a turbo shaft while in the mountains. after doing some research I ended up upgrading the turbo to a VNT 17, installing a boost gauge to monitor boost, and a boost valve to limit boost spikes. At altitude as with most turbo motors, you can get compressor stall, where basically the intake air cannot keep up with the exhaust and you snap a shaft.

Check out tdiclub dot com to help fully research issues and fixes. There are also several sites that offer factory parts way cheaper than dealer prices also.

As far as electrical gremlins go, the A4 chassis was pretty solid, there are minor issues as with many cars, but many of the switches have the relays and other circuitry built in, and they are modular. Which means easily fixable with either new or junkyard stuff. Like Jeep, VW has a bunch of special Editions with swap able parts. For instance I was running GLI suspension (Stiffer and lower) and R32 control arm bushings (Stiffer). They are better than stock and can be found fairly cheap from people upgrading.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #3836
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Aren't the axles for the S 35 way more expensive if you break one? The 8.8 is definitely more work but in the long run I think it's a better choice. Especially if they are close on price.
Well I guess one thing is I can pickup the 8.8 pretty much anytime and then as $$$ comes start purchasing parts and get it into Adam's driveline for the gear/locker install whenever. Then it can sit in the sideyard till I'm actually ready to do the install. Figure install will probably only take a day so really it's not that big of a deal.
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #3837
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Well I guess one thing is I can pickup the 8.8 pretty much anytime and then as $$$ comes start purchasing parts and get it into Adam's driveline for the gear/locker install whenever. Then it can sit in the sideyard till I'm actually ready to do the install. Figure install will probably only take a day so really it's not that big of a deal.
If you get really fancy and your good with a welder you can take a close look at those brackets and save some more money making them. I think that is a sound plan. I can't wait until my stinking radiator get's here today so I won't be paranoid to go out anymore. The numbskulls shipped it from Jersey when I thought it was coming from Phoenix. With Fed Ex latest record it's probably in pieces by now.
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #3838
sirhk100

If anyone ever needs to buy a replacement radiator for their TJ or YJ I can probably get you a decent price on a pretty nice setup. Might fit CJ's also but haven't verified... Won't work on JK and I doubt it works on any of the cherokee platforms.

I can usually widdle interesting shapes out of metal but sometimes the cost of prefabbed is worth it. I'd look into my options for sure when the time comes.
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:41 PM   #3839
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Well it looks like I may have to either sell or part out my zj. My dad Can no longer store it, I have no place to put or work on it. It may be a sad month for me. It will be the first time since 2004 I don't own a jeep.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #3840
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
Well it looks like I may have to either sell or part out my zj. My dad Can no longer store it, I have no place to put or work on it. It may be a sad month for me. It will be the first time since 2004 I don't own a jeep.
whats wrong with it?
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.