Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2559 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM   #38371
sirhk100

Inject it, slap some A/C in it. Let's go get you some comfy front seats and make it a reliable runner. There doesn't seem to be much left from the times I've seen it to get it buttoned up.

Hell, need me to do the work for you! LOL, I need to take on someone else's project soon and stop spending my own money again at the rate this F150 is catching up to me here at the very end! I've put close to $6K into this F150 since I bought it and it still hasn't started... LOL

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #38372
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

the issue is what injection will be like $1500, and what if that still doesnt do much for it?

Then interior is another 1200ish with me doing some of the work.

I jsut get worried these days because it's never going to end i feel like.

Who knows, maybe i'll throw the injection on and everything will be honki dori and i can drive all around the country without issue, but i dunno. im just scared to put another few thousand in and then still be unhappy.

It's been a long road, and the last year of it has not been enjoyable at all.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #38373
sirhk100

What's your issues with it? Headliner/seats need some lovin... Some oil leaks... Runs a bit rough... That's it really isn't it? FI will for sure clean up the rough running. I'm assuming the engine itself is actually in pretty good shape. Oil leaks are a pain but not the end of the world to fix. Labor... I'm not afraid of labor. Suck it up and fix them! LOL Leaves interior? From the outside it doesn't look that bad.

You're into it this far... IF the quirks weren't there you'd like it right? You cut your loss and loose a bunch selling it or follow thru, finish it up and enjoy it. I think it's just part of old jeeps. Between what my Dad put into the old CJ7 I grew up in and then what I put into once I took possession of it, I think we combined probably easily had $15-20K into it and in the end sold it for $7K. It's a vehicle... Opposite of what some in here seem to think, they really aren't an investment tool for the most part. They're a way to waste money and a toy. You've gotta look at it like that! If you wanted to make money you should be listening to Ramsey and doing your 15% into the roth, not your '73 Wagoneer. LOL

I was guessing about $3K to get this F150 bare bones in the dirt, I'm double that and still not done! That doesn't count the whole other F150 I still need to get someday to truly finish it, interior expenses depending which way I go, and who knows what other crap... LOL

Do you have a ring or something you can pawn?

Unread 08-06-2014, 04:08 PM   #38374
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

are WJ's still SFA?

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-06-2014, 04:13 PM   #38375
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
What's your issues with it? Headliner/seats need some lovin... Some oil leaks... Runs a bit rough... That's it really isn't it? FI will for sure clean up the rough running. I'm assuming the engine itself is actually in pretty good shape. Oil leaks are a pain but not the end of the world to fix. Labor... I'm not afraid of labor. Suck it up and fix them! LOL Leaves interior? From the outside it doesn't look that bad.

You're into it this far... IF the quirks weren't there you'd like it right? You cut your loss and loose a bunch selling it or follow thru, finish it up and enjoy it. I think it's just part of old jeeps. Between what my Dad put into the old CJ7 I grew up in and then what I put into once I took possession of it, I think we combined probably easily had $15-20K into it and in the end sold it for $7K. It's a vehicle... Opposite of what some in here seem to think, they really aren't an investment tool for the most part. They're a way to waste money and a toy. You've gotta look at it like that! If you wanted to make money you should be listening to Ramsey and doing your 15% into the roth, not your '73 Wagoneer. LOL

I was guessing about $3K to get this F150 on the road, I'm double that and still not done!
Issues remaining are:

Reliability/running issues. For example, how i cannot tow my camper up mt. charleston, how i have had to stop on trails before because of the carb, how it runs super poorly at altitude, weak on hills, etc. I THINK the engine is fine. it has good oil pressure, good compression, pulls 18" vacuum in neutral.

Interior: Headliner needs attantion NOW. its literally getting worse as the days pass. Then seat and carpet are lower priority. Those have no effect on being able to use it though.

The oil leaks are minor but are driving me nuts. I've already started that process. I wouldn't count them as a reason that I'm unhappy with it.

The two above are the last big things. But they are big, and I'm poor. It's funny. Dani is all "$1500 for fuel injection that will let you drive it anywhere? thats nothing! just do it!"

Okay, easy to say, mrs. moneybags. Give me that ring back and I'll do fuel injection, interior, buy new tires, and still have enough left over to buy a few tanks of gas on a road trip.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #38376
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

so much want..

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #38377
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

That land cruiser is NICE! I have not seen that body style before, what year is it?

I know you are bummed about your ride, but keep in mind all the money you have put into it is stuff that is gonna last and you won't have to do again for a long time & who knows what you would be buying into with another used vehicle along the same lines.

It's WAY easy to be an armchair quarterback on this and I completely understand where you are coming from about the cost vs benefit and being torn and all that, so I am not gonna say do this or do that.
In my unsolicited opinion, you have one of the classiest most iconic rides of our group and most people I know. What you have done to your rig may not show to the average buyer/person, but the amount of time and love you have put into it will never be worth much to anyone but those that appreciate the vehicle for what it is; a beautiful old rig full of quirks and rattles that has been built, maintained and driven regularly on a poor mans budget with lots of elbow grease.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #38378
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks chad.

That FJ55 is a. 1973. Apparently that was a good year for ugly tan vehicles

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-06-2014, 06:25 PM   #38379
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

For 1500 you could throw in a 5.3 but it won't be "cool" but if you did sell it you may or may not get more for it.

At this point though throwing another 2500+ into your project to make it perfect just doesn't make sense if your looking at getting even half of that back out of it when you sell it.
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #38380
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206
For 1500 you could throw in a 5.3 but it won't be "cool" but if you did sell it you may or may not get more for it. At this point though throwing another 2500+ into your project to make it perfect just doesn't make sense if your looking at getting even half of that back out of it when you sell it.
Wait what? A 5.3 vortec under the hood for $1500? Please elaborate. I don't see how that is possible

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #38381
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Putting more money into it would not be the plan if its getting sold as that makes no sense. Putting money into it would only be to get it where I personally want it to be for my use.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #38382
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

Wait what? A 5.3 vortec under the hood for $1500? Please elaborate. I don't see how that is possible
A lot of guys bought the take out engines for projects that never got going. There are a lot on CL now. I think you could swap in a engine and trans for 1500 running and driving if you sell your take out motor and trans.
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2014, 06:40 PM   #38383
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I find that incredibly doubtful but that's okay. I'm not really looking to do a full drivetrain swap. That's way too much work. $1500 and a couple months of headaches and another $1000 because nothing ever goes as planned vs 1500 for brand new TBI setup installed in a weekend or two.

$500 for junkyard TBI if I wanted to go that route

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #38384
sirhk100

When the zombies come, you laugh at me now with my rides but just you wait and see my escape route from town!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hosWbNQQek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZut-HwOglA

Unread 08-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #38385
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206
A lot of guys bought the take out engines for projects that never got going. There are a lot on CL now. I think you could swap in a engine and trans for 1500 running and driving if you sell your take out motor and trans.
Purely by coincidence I just stumbled onto this current thread just now as I was checking in on stuff over at FSJN

5.3 swap gas mileage and total costs
http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...php?f=7&t=6499

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.