Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 255 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #3811
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

One of the main reasons i bought the waggy over a CJ5 was the zombie apocalypse (and...well, camping trips and stuff, which are quite similar in load out).

I wanted a CJ5 but realized I'd be uncomfortable, my passenger would be uncomfortable, and we'd have MAYBE enough room for 2 peoples worth of gear, at best, and towing would be sketchy unless it was a tiny trailer, and not to mention road manners are horrible (slow, loud, brakes/steering issues)

Now i can carry 5 people in complete comfort, with all kinda of crap in the back, and have the ability to tow a relatively large trailer as well, all while cruising down the highway at 75mph.

Woop!

Only issue is fuel economy and vehicle range. 10-12mpg aint ideal, nor is the 21 gallon tank. Eek, something like 240 miles at best?

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #3812
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Ok ok, Hand over the coordinates then.
You can download a Google earth file for it from my website. I would give a link, but I'm at work ...
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #3813
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw View Post
You can download a Google earth file for it from my website. I would give a link, but I'm at work ...
That was the next place I was going to check . Thanks.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #3814
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

i like my Commander, 380 miles to a tsnk full, can tow 7000 lbs room for 5. only draw back is that its 2wd.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #3815
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I like my Jetta TDI for the road trips, but I always want the Jeep once I get there
gregaf3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #3816
sirhk100

Some good points on the usefullness of the winch, never thought about it for pulling down fire wood, clearing potential road ways, etc... Yeah, like I said, jeep seems to be my best bet for if it happens. But like I said also, if russians start parachuting in I'll meet you guys on the hill most likely in the truck. I think it'll be most useful for leading high speed surprise assaults on the commies!

I've only got a pistol right now. Shotgun will probably be my next purchase and then I'll look into AR options. Actually my very next purchase is going to be a advantage arms .22 conversion for my glock. 5000+ rounds for like under $200 sure sounds fun!

Greg, funny you mention the jetta TDI. I was on craigslist earlier eyeballing them! Thinking about eventually dumping the mazda for one. Would prefer the Golf to stay with the hatchback theme but in general... Any issues or complaints? What year is yours and what's the mileage if you don't mind? How long have you had it?
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #3817
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

my current one is a 2011 tdi with the 2.0 tdi, good power and it seems pretty reliable so far (under 20k miles). I have owed a total of 6 vw's and this is my second one. My other TDI was an 03 Jetta, it was great except for it being an automatic. I was limited on my TDI search because I bought it in Texas durring one of times we had the real crazy gas prices. The key with the older ones is to get a manual on the newer ones the DSG trans is as efficient as the manuals.

One cool thing about diesels is that as you mod them, your MPG will improve as long as you take it easy on the go pedal. The best mpg that I ever got with the auto was 43 which was all highway. On the 2011 I have seen around 49 on road trips and 52 if I stay on the freeway in the valley. Please keep in mind I do use some hypermilage techniques, but I do generally cruise around 70-80ish.

The wife driving to base during rush hour times across 215 north averages 38-39mpg normally with the stop and go traffic. She is far from babying it, but she is getting better. On one tank I drove down to Disneyland, the beach, and I ended up putting a few bucks in at Primm on the way back because I did not want to risk getting stuck in traffic.
gregaf3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #3818
sirhk100

Yeah, I'll be looking at an older one. I want to stay under $10K on anything I'm daily driving basically in hopes of paying it off within a year or so. Definitely going manual also like you say. I'm over automatic cars in general.

I've heard VW's in general have gremlins? Specifically electrical ones which scares me a bit... Having owned 6 of them, any truth or experience in that?

On that '03 TDI any issues in general really other then not liking the transmission? Have you heard of any 100K+ mileage issues? I would assume the motor is like any other diesel and good for what seems to be forever but does the rest of the car generally hold up?
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #3819
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Where is this hill you are talking about I feel left out.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #3820
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
I knew someone that actually thought racing stripes made cars faster. He honestly did, we had to convince him he was wrong. People be dumb!
BTW I heard if you paint you car primer grey the police radar won't pick you up. Lol
Unread 01-24-2012, 06:54 PM   #3821
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Honestly, in the zombie apocalypse I'd probably load the jeep and go. Now if it was a matter of Russian's attacking like Red Dawn, I'd probably go for the truck as speed might be necessary. I don't picture the zombies being that fast so the jeep should escape just fine and get me hidden deep enough to not have to worry about being found
Yep I'd take the Jeep too and head north to the mountains!

Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #3822
adams1985cj
1985 CJ7 

Not a sticker guy but had to have this one.

Unread 01-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #3823
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adams1985cj

BTW I heard if you paint you car primer grey the police radar won't pick you up. Lol
Nope, they still get you! Tagged for 50 in a 35, that is now a 45!! Primered dart!
Unread 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #3824
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball
That video says it all!! Can't say anything more!! I can't, it's cordless!!!
Unread 01-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #3825
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Ok ok, Hand over the coordinates then.
Bitter Springs starts here:
36°27'32.36"N 114°44'5.77"W

Keep following the trail and turn here.
36°16'57.72"N 114°31'2.29"W

That will take you to North Shore Rd along Lake Mead here:
36°14'36.36"N 114°32'10.03"W

West will take you back to town. There's also a few places along that road that will take you to the lake. Your friends might want to see that.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.