Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 254 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #3796
sirhk100

Wheeler is a breeze dry. Not sure with snow in the mix. Just stay on the road and it would be no problem I'm betting...

Last night, got the peddle assembly installed. Didn't pull the seat, pulled the brake booster completely out and that gave me easy clearance to get everything in place. Got the t-case installed and linkage hooked up. Then bam! First real issues started showing. Looks like I'm going to have to do some rework on the skidplate to get the mounts and everything setup to work with it. Also going to have to cut the exhaust hanger and redo that as well. Both those are probably not too big of a deal though hopefully... I was a few bolts short from messing with that though so I moved onto the driveshafts. Rear, slid it onto the tcase fully bottomed out and well, it's too long to bolt up now so I'm going to have to have a modified shaft made. But... I've been wanting a SYE kit so I think this is the kicker to finally jump on that purchase. So I'm price shopping those today and chances are the T-case will come back out to do the install of that on the bench rather then underneath the jeep. I might install a 2WD low range kit at the same time too depending what I can find on pricing. So pretty much at this point I'm back to running parts today and doing research. I'll get the SYE kit ordered and then while waiting on it I'll probably start seeing what it's going to take to get the skidplate mounted back up so that hopefully by the time I get the t-case back in I can just bolt the skid and exhaust up and go. I've got more then enough to stay busy rather then waiting on parts, that's for sure! Oh, SYE kit I think is going to require new lower arms for the rear suspension cause mine aren't adjustable to dial in the pinion angle as needed...

Anyone into the highspeed desert racing stuff. Should be good spectating this weekend at stateline to watch the buggies and trucks. They're giving 10K to fastest vehicle of the weekend and $1000 to furthest off the dyke jump so that should be some motivation for carnage as far as I'm concerned!!! I'll be out there SUPER early as I'm going to run an incar camera in a friends truck that will also be one of our competitors once we start racing later in the year. I want to see how fast his truck really is!!!! LOL His race is at 8AM on Sat so I want to be out there by 7AM at the latest to get the camera installed.

sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #3797
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I haven't done wheeler yet. Anything to be aware of?
It's one of those trails that should be avoided in rain or snow. I wouldn't even attempt it unless I had really good mud tires with wide voids. There are so many places up there to slide off a cliff.

Bitter Springs might be a better choice It's a nice, long trail and there probably isn't snow up there. If you start at the Moapa side, you can end at Lake Mead.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #3798
sirhk100

Maybe I just don't have enough experience in snow and mud but wheeler didn't seem like it would be too bad. Granted I'd be creeping the entire way for sure as to not slide off!!! LOL
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #3799
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Your truck is also built for loose sand which translates well to snow or mud. I think most here have a lift and larger tires.

The first time my tires ever packed mud was at Lovell Canyon. I was heading down an incline and I thought my engine stopped because I lost steering and brakes. It took a few seconds to realize I was sliding down the trail toward a cliffside. It was an eerie feeling to not have any control. Near the bottom was a patch of gravel. My tires gripped and I've been more careful ever since.
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:34 AM   #3800
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

The mountain tops look clear towards Goodsprings. I'm sure there are still trails I haven't seen there. That's probably where we'll go soon.
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #3801
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
It's one of those trails that should be avoided in rain or snow. I wouldn't even attempt it unless I had really good mud tires with wide voids. There are so many places up there to slide off a cliff.

Bitter Springs might be a better choice It's a nice, long trail and there probably isn't snow up there. If you start at the Moapa side, you can end at Lake Mead.
But there are no whore houses with sports bars a the end but if wheeler is dangerous I would rather not go. I thought it was a stock rated trail.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #3802
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Yeah, I would think a stock 4wd could make it through, but weather conditions make it less so. Give Bitter Springs a try with your friends. Lots of scenery from open desert, a dam that isn't Hoover, mountain views, beautiful washes and it all ends with Lake Mead. I'm sure you can find a burger around there and the hookers are probably cheaper compared to pahrump.
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #3803
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Yeah, I would think a stock 4wd could make it through, but weather conditions make it less so. Give Bitter Springs a try with your friends. Lots of scenery from open desert, a dam that isn't Hoover, mountain views, beautiful washes and it all ends with Lake Mead. I'm sure you can find a burger around there and the hookers are probably cheaper compared to pahrump.
Ok ok, Hand over the coordinates then.
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #3804
sirhk100

My truck is sketchy as can be in the rain and it should be downright out of control in snow! It's got a spool in the rear so while traction is great, cornering is interesting to say the least.

I'm not even sure if I've posted a picture of my jeep but here's what I've been doing the transmission swap in and my crawler go anywhere slowly exploring vehicle.

How about a totally off topic topic?

One of my biggest issues is when the zombie apocalypse hits, which vehicle do I escape with?

The jeep pictured above has a range of about 150-200 miles on a tank of gas and is pretty slow but reliable. With the hard top on I can probably haul the most as far as survival gear goes and being 4WD it's got the biggest advantage as far as where I can escape to.

Dirt bike will get me anywhere I need to go fast and with 26 years riding experience I'm pretty confident on it. My issue is I'm very exposed to attack. A wreck is potential injury, and I'm limited to about 80 miles distance and also can't carry a whole lot.

Next would be my truck. Greatest range on a tank of gas at around 465 miles and it can get out fast but in traffic trying to escape the city the bike would be better. The truck though would own for ramming vehicles out of the way and also with the spool and suspension you'd be surprised the places it will go. It is pretty limited on what i can carry though but not as bad as the bike obviously. The cab is only so big and I can only strap so much in the back cage. Cross country travel I can put some miles down fast though if I really had to get out in a hurry!

My lowered Mazda Hatchback... Ehhhh, not so much of an option.

Honestly, in the zombie apocalypse I'd probably load the jeep and go. Now if it was a matter of Russian's attacking like Red Dawn, I'd probably go for the truck as speed might be necessary. I don't picture the zombies being that fast so the jeep should escape just fine and get me hidden deep enough to not have to worry about being found.

(and yes, I possibly do have an issue with motorized vehicles. That's not even the whole collection, there's also a 2004 ktm 125 dirt bike, a 1978 Honda XL125 enduro bike and a 1982 Honda C70 scooter in the collection too, lol)
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #3805
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have mtr's and a track lock in the rear. I am not to concerned about sliding to much because the 249 full time is amazing in rain and snow. I just want to get stuck in mud out there alone.
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #3806
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I honestly think it should be fine by Friday. Most of the slick stuff is on the south side, which gets all of the sunlight, so it should be dried out by then. When I went over on Saturday it was raining off and on until we got to the summit. The north side of the trail has plenty of rocks and grip (snow might be the only issue). I was sliding a little bit on the way down through lovell canyon, but it was mostly where the water was just running off. I would say unless another storm rolls through it should be passable.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #3807
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sirhk, your forgetting the "dawn of the dead" zombies! They're track stars! F-that! I hate zombies! Jeep would be best best, I think. It goes fast enough on road to out run them, then you can go cross country well enough to stay ahead of them. Just make sure you have a gunner along to pop em with an AR or something as they get close. Something the movies fail to show is as they decompose, they would get slower. Muscles and tendons don't work so well after a month or so! Besides, the brain would just about be jelly quicker than that anyway, so now it just depends on what caused the outbreak. Is it a disease type thing or an all at once changing. All at once, the danger would be over by about three months out, disease could go on for generations! Not that I've thought about this at all....(I FCKNG) hate zombies!)
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #3808
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What you really have to watch out for are paranormal Nazi ghost zombies. They can disappear and re appear in different locations and they have bayonets and WWII era rifles.
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #3809
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

On the other hand, if the "zombies" are Ysb's wild monkeys mentioned a few pages back, you will need all the food, guns, ammo, survival gear, and general equipment you could possibly carry. Basically same rules apply as with the track star zombies, I think jeep is the best bet, because most gangstas are lazy and their low riders, while some may be fast, are poodee on the trails. Get past the first hill or ditch, and they're going to give up and go for grandma or the typical anti-gun liberal...they're easier targets! Either way, I'm taking my jeep. It's a not so complicated mechanical system with way more benefits than drawbacks. Winches can be used to clear obstacles and bring down firewood trees, tow convoy vehicles, etc. slow speed and stronger components mean less likely to break something if your careful, and they're just rugged vehicles. I'll probably loa up my Chevy work van with stuff and use the jeep to drag it over tuff stuff. Someone would have to drive it, but that's what family is for...I could probably write a how-to-survive zombies and/or civil unrest book!
Unread 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #3810
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah polka, they always seem to pop up behind you while your shooting out the windows!!! And no ones got your back!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.