Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2537 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 06-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #38041
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
It's blazing hot man. I had a client give me a ice cold bottle of moxie today (they are from Maine) and it totally made my day.
I forgot to have the parents bring me some when hey visited :-(

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #38042
sirhk100

In case anyone was wondering...

That's what 30.5" of up and down rear axle travel looks like.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 11:50 PM   #38043
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

psh, I was hoping to see 31" of up and down rear axle travel. So disappointing.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 07-01-2014, 12:08 AM   #38044
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Out of curiosity, what is the suspension travel on the race truck f/r?
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #38045
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just out of curiosity, and without knowing much, shouldn't the shocks theoretically be mounted closer to the axle line? Just wondering, not talking ish, because I honestly don't know. Just speculating.
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:39 AM   #38046
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Just out of curiosity, and without knowing much, shouldn't the shocks theoretically be mounted closer to the axle line? Just wondering, not talking ish, because I honestly don't know. Just speculating.
Moving it away from the axle keeps the shock and coilovers smaller in size and weight while keeping maximum amount of travel. By using a stiffer spring anf more aggressive valving on the shock will control the rear axle like a shock/coilover right at the axle.

At least that was what was explained to me.
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:40 AM   #38047
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

And not by Khris, this was a few years ago in Glamis.
Unread 07-01-2014, 12:48 AM   #38048
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Makes perfect sense! Otherwise, the shock shaft would be like 36" in length in a case like this and would cause clearance issues in other locations. That also explains why XJs and explorers have huge shock towers with shocks inside the cab. Thanks.
Unread 07-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #38049
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
psh, I was hoping to see 31" of up and down rear axle travel. So disappointing.
I'm a failure at many things in life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is the suspension travel on the race truck f/r?
17" basically front and rear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Moving it away from the axle keeps the shock and coilovers smaller in size and weight while keeping maximum amount of travel. By using a stiffer spring anf more aggressive valving on the shock will control the rear axle like a shock/coilover right at the axle.

At least that was what was explained to me.
Pretty much. The closer you have the shock to the axle the better control you're going to have. If you look at the short course offroad race trucks they have the shocks basically mounted on the axle housing almost. They want 100% control, don't need a ton of travel and use a lot of the shock for sway control. Then again, they're running a man made groomed track with just jumps and maybe one whoops section. Get into the desert where "typically" cornering isn't endless, terrain is unpredictable and always changing and the bumps are bigger you need more travel. Your options are a 30" travel shock or slide them up the arm and use leverage. Disadvantage to it is usually in the shocks. You can valve them to work amazing but the trade off is in heat. Hence the big bodies, big oil capacities, more cooling surface. People are even running various methods of oil coolers on them when you get to the big time. Yes, closer to the axle is better in function as far as a shock goes but with the shocks we have available, you can run them like this and still control the rear. I don't know yet if a sway bar will be needed or not. I'm hoping I can get away without it. When I had my coilovers apart I made a few valving changes to hopefully maybe help with that.

Unread 07-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #38050
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
I'm a failure at many things in life!
It's okay bud, I still like you.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 07-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #38051
sirhk100

Quote:
4TH of July Safety tips...
  • Most serious injuries happen on July 4th, so set off your explosives on the day before or the day after.
  • If a firework fails to ignite, there may be something wrong with it. To figure out the problem, examine the firework up close and watch carefully while you try reigniting it.
  • Anyone about to set off a “black snake” should prepare for a major disappointment.
  • Remember that fireworks can’t hurt you when you’re drunk. Nothing can.
  • The most effective treatment for burns is to go around showing people the burn and saying, “Look, I burned myself. ****in’ hurts.”
  • Glow sticks are great alternatives to sparklers for children whose parents are no ****ing fun.
  • It’s safest to be as far as possible from the site of ignition. Instead of lighting the firework directly, set it off via a trail of gunpowder that’s at least 500 feet long.
  • When buying fireworks, remember: The bigger the firework, the higher it will fly, and the less likely it will be to hurt you.
  • Children should only use fireworks under the strict supervision of an adult or a slightly older cousin.

Unread 07-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #38052
sirhk100

Cleaning off my desk and throwing crap away... Anyone want a brand new ready to stick on chrome "JEEP" logo off the front grill of a JK? It came with a grill we bought for display but was never peeled and stuck on... It's going in the trash tomorrow. If you want it, I'll stick it in my exploder or something and you can claim it next time you see me.

Unread 07-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #38053
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Cleaning off my desk and throwing crap away... Anyone want a brand new ready to stick on chrome "JEEP" logo off the front grill of a JK? It came with a grill we bought for display but was never peeled and stuck on... It's going in the trash tomorrow. If you want it, I'll stick it in my exploder or something and you can claim it next time you see me.
I'll take it, trade for the spare tire mount!
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 08:06 AM   #38054
sirhk100

Andy... LOL, I know I know, it's not right. But I do know the owner. I've actually known him for a very long time, decade plus... In fact I've got some parts from that one in my garage for mine if I ever decide to use them. LOL

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4547969852.html

Oh and jump to about 1:52... damn walls always getting in the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wzX7CcwD14#t=122

Unread 07-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #38055
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

That looks like something Blair would like. How fast can it go in the desert?
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.