Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2525 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com

Unread 06-17-2014, 09:32 PM   #37861
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's a ZJ. That's the problem. There's a company that sells a triple electric fan kit, but it was pretty pricey if I remember right. The heat here is terrible, and ZJs don't cool very well to begin with.
Edit, I read ZJ and saw XJ. Disregard my comment. Lol.

Unread 06-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #37862
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. A thermostat only keeps the coolant from circulating in order to get to operating temperature more quickly. It is possible for you to run with no t-stat and you will still have the same operating temp. The only thing that is going to change the temp cooler would be a bigger radiator/higher flow fans. The temp rating on the thermostat is just how hot the coolant has to be in order for it to open. They go bad when they malfunction, no longer open, and cause you to overheat. When my zj ran in the summer 218 seem about normal in traffic. I wouldn't worry too much until you start boiling over.

Also a good solution is to clean all the gunk and grime from the engine block and bay. All the crud and old oil acts like insulation keeping everything extra hot. The radiator as well can have problem cooling if it is caked with dirt and mud.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #37863
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Correct. Also, if using tap water with the coolant, you likely have a ton of scale built up in the water jackets.
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:03 PM   #37864
Zjrookie
1998 ZJ 

Well I have done a flush with some heavy duty stuff that I use in my diesel also new hoses and high flow pump but tomorrow taking out thermostat and replacing and see where that gets me and worse case I will order a new aluminum radiator and hood vents or I may get crazy and start drilling 2 inch holes lol
Zjrookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:04 PM   #37865
Zjrookie
1998 ZJ 

And I only use distilled
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #37866
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Possibly both the most hilarious and tragic headline I've ever seen.

image-852383313.jpg

Wha...how...why...just...wow!
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:22 PM   #37867
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

When I had my ZJ it was always running hot here in Vegas (over 210) so I went and replaced everything tat had to do with cooling. Radiator, tstat, water pump, hoses, fan clutch and that did the trick as after that I never had a problem with it keeping just a tick under the 210 mark.
Unread 06-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #37868
Zjrookie
1998 ZJ 

Well I think a new dual core aluminum rad will do the trick but who knows but is the water pump a ccw rotation?
Unread 06-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #37869
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

All this thermostat talk is makin me want to watch Jaws.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #37870
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

What is it about a big red van that people seem to not be able to see?! Had another crash last night. Same scenario as the last one 4 months ago with someone making a lane change into my van! Same side even! This is getting ridiculous. This time it was on the freeway, and it was everything I had to keep the stupid thing straight. 60mph hit followed by some sweet drifting isn't cool!
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #37871
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I don't know if your van is gps monitored like my work truck is, but I'm limited to 3 mph faster then the posted speed. So needless to say everyday on the freeway is me basically getting flipped off and people calling to complain about my speed limit driving.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #37872
sirhk100

LOL, glad I don't drive my van that often since it's actually mine and not a company ride!!! Seriously though, these things are huge, how can you not see it to change lanes into it???!!! Were they sober? Both times?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 02:40 PM   #37873
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio
I don't know if your van is gps monitored like my work truck is, but I'm limited to 3 mph faster then the posted speed. So needless to say everyday on the freeway is me basically getting flipped off and people calling to complain about my speed limit driving.
That sucks!

They ain't putting no GPS system on my $2000 truck haha. I bomb this little ***** down the highway doing like 80 with the 4 squirrels under the hood giving it all they got.

Though some times I may be a bit over zealous which results in incidents like the guy following me to the gun store and calling my office leaving a voicemail saying how he was going to beat my *** in the Parking lot blah blah blah

I also drive it weekends frequently because it's my primary vehicle. Pretty decent deal.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 06-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #37874
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also it's not that people don't see the van, it's that they don't ****ing look.

I'm sure we all do it every once in a while. I know I occasionally catch myself making a lane change and then think 'oh that car is pretty close behind me....whoops'

Unread 06-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #37875
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Also it's not that people don't see the van, it's that they don't ****ing look.
Uhhhhh....

Quote:
it's that they don't ****ing look.
therefore

Quote:
people don't see the van
???

And I can honestly say nope. I have done the thing where I look in the side mirror, looks clear, start my lane change as I'm looking over my shoulder and oh ****... But I still see them before I change lanes. Can't say I've ever made a lane change and then went whoa, where'd that dude come from?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.