Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2431 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-03-2014, 01:01 PM   #36451
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post
yeah its a ORFab sport cage
Just be sure you never "use" that cage. It was given to me when I acquired that CJ and, I promise you don't want 1/4" dash bolts being the support of the front of that. Sooner than later I would cut off those a-pillar down bars and just bend new ones that go all the way to the floor and at least onto a floor plate.

Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #36452
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

That's interesting that ORF doesn't use DOM. In the TJ cage thread they are comparing them to weld in kits that use DOM and I don't remember anyone mentioning they are using a diffrent tubing.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #36453
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
Just be sure you never "use" that cage. It was given to me when I acquired that CJ and, I promise you don't want 1/4" dash bolts being the support of the front of that. Sooner than later I would cut off those a-pillar down bars and just bend new ones that go all the way to the floor and at least onto a floor plate.
I'll second this. I have plates that bolt to the dash in addition to bolting to the floor and they bent significantly in that small flop I had. You may want to go ahead and replace them with tubes to the floor now while you're working on it.
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #36454
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
That's interesting that ORF doesn't use DOM. In the TJ cage thread they are comparing them to weld in kits that use DOM and I don't remember anyone mentioning they are using a diffrent tubing.
They don't have to. It was only designed as a sport cage, just like any company that uses plate as an a-pillar support (I know you know this 1st hand) . Basically it is just for looks, I could probably knock that cage off the dash with one hit from a sledge hammer!! If I would have continued to build that CJ, that cage was going in the scrap steel pile.
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #36455
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They don't have to. It was only designed as a sport cage, just like any company that uses plate as an a-pillar support (I know you know this 1st hand) . Basically it is just for looks, I could probably knock that cage off the dash with one hit from a sledge hammer!! If I would have continued to build that CJ, that cage was going in the scrap steel pile.
That's where mine is heading. I'm schedualed to have the new cage installed the last weekend this month.
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #36456
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

Later on I'm going to make frame tieins at this point its been about 4 months and I just wanna wheel
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:45 PM   #36457
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My daughter, who turns 3 in three weeks just said, "I want select fire, daddy!" After shooting a CB cap from a single six. My little gun monster, lol That is all!
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:14 PM   #36458
sirhk100

Nothing wrong with HREW if designed right (not saying the ORF one is) but I'm sure everyone has seen the video of that ORF cage rolling in moab.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:24 PM   #36459
sirhk100

Found it!!! This is 1.5" HREW. In comparison, the race truck in my garage has a cab built from 2" DOM, the rest of the truck is 1.75" dom...

Decent sized piece of equipment...

CRUSH IT!!!!

CRAP!!! Tire's off the ground already!!!

Bring in the big guns!!! LOL This quote is attached with this next picture...

Quote:
and after numerous bucket drops the roof would still not give way....look close to the air under his tires too...

Quote:
the only way he could get the roof to fail was to stab down on it with the bucket teeth and puncture the tubes, then it all went downhill fast...

Eventually it lost!

Point being, don't underestimate HREW... It's still pretty damn good stuff! Especially if used correctly! My toyota I sold was 100% HREW.

The truck above in it's glory days...

Unread 04-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #36460
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hmmmm. I may have located my unicorn axle. Not sure yet, but if I did I could have it in my jeep for less than the cost of the driveshaft work.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #36461
sirhk100

BTW, if you haven't seen the video... Here's that ORF sport cage getting some test work.

It did pull away from the dash in that roll though...

Still pretty square though...

Just some pictures and a video of that cage in action... I actually had nothing to do with that product, it existed when I started working there. I did a lot of the tire carriers for ORF, JK bumpers, JK sliders and yeah... I actually still have .jpegs of some of my cad work from when I was there in my photobucket that I had sent to friends back in those days for comments.

These were my doing...

And these are always fun pictures to stumble on from those days, this was a "interesting" day at work! LOL

Can you say BRAND NEW AND BORROWED FROM THE LOCAL DEALERSHIP!!! LOL

Unread 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #36462
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

No one, at least not me is questioning the use of HREW. But in Rodney's case of the a-pillar attachment point being 3 1/4" bolts through 1/8" sheet metal, he has about the same safety factor of PVC.
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #36463
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
No one, at least not me is questioning the use of HREW. But in Rodney's case of the a-pillar attachment point being 3 1/4" bolts through 1/8" sheet metal, he has about the same safety factor of PVC.
Lol. Whatever its still way better then the factory sport cage
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #36464
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post
Lol
You know your taking me for a ride when you get it going!!!
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #36465
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I like the color more each time you post it. Looks good.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.