Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2386 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #35776 of 41804 Old 02-23-2014, 07:39 PM
ksturgio
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,986
Anytime I've ever heard of someone having a leak fixed at a shop it still leaked after the repair. With most seals I would get a seal from the dealer as opposed to a parts store. They always fit better. I just ordered cv shaft seals from toyota because I tried low and high quality replacements and both still leaked. If I would have just gotten them from toyota I would have same time and money.

ksturgio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #35777 of 41804 Old 02-23-2014, 09:19 PM
Raptor0206
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post
Post some pics.

Posted from outer space.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...tomod-2033401/
Raptor0206 is offline  
post #35778 of 41804 Old 02-23-2014, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Does it just use a two piece seal that can changed by just dropping the oil pan? If so, make sure that the crank is clean and just put a small dab of silicon where the seal meets up. Also check the rear of the valve cover gasket to make sure that it is not leaking and giving the appearance that our is the rear main.
I really gotta do that one of these days. HOA is *****ing at me about oil stains in the driveway, and the drip pan I keep under the jeep.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline  
post #35779 of 41804 Old 02-23-2014, 10:52 PM
gregaf3
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,875
In less than 30 days I will no longer have an HOA... Not like mine was picky anyways.

Professional Slacker
gregaf3 is offline  
post #35780 of 41804 Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
1973 FSJ Wagoneer 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 11,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
In less than 30 days I will no longer have an HOA... Not like mine was picky anyways.
I despise ours.

-Andrew

Illegitimi Non Carborundum


The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline  
post #35781 of 41804 Old 02-23-2014, 11:05 PM
MMCKEIG
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
I despise ours.
They likely despise you as well! Haha
MMCKEIG is offline  
post #35782 of 41804 Old 02-24-2014, 12:21 AM
gregaf3
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

They likely despise you as well! Haha
I thought that was a given thing.

Professional Slacker
gregaf3 is offline  
post #35783 of 41804 Old 02-24-2014, 07:56 AM
B0nez
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206
Looking great! Nice to see the old girl getting some new life in her
B0nez is offline  
post #35784 of 41804 Old 02-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Powrjunkey
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Las vegas
Posts: 4,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3
I thought that was a given thing.
Since you're moving, save up the cat box goodies and dog ish and pile it all on the HOA chair's front lawn and driveway right before you leave. Rofl

The difference between stupidity and ignorance. Ignorance is doing something wrong and not knowing better. Stupidity is knowing better, but doing it anyway. Don't be stupid!
Powrjunkey is offline  
post #35785 of 41804 Old 02-24-2014, 02:01 PM
matthew900
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Anytime I've ever heard of someone having a leak fixed at a shop it still leaked after the repair. With most seals I would get a seal from the dealer as opposed to a parts store. They always fit better. I just ordered cv shaft seals from toyota because I tried low and high quality replacements and both still leaked. If I would have just gotten them from toyota I would have same time and money.
I'm going to the dealer for my next one. The discount part store one I used is still leaking though some of that may be my poor skills in doing the repair
matthew900 is offline  
post #35786 of 41804 Old 02-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Garza
Vendor
 
Garza's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
I'm going to the dealer for my next one. The discount part store one I used is still leaking though some of that may be my poor skills in doing the repair
Don't be surprised if they won't warranty it for you even after they fix it. Jeep 2.5 and 4.0 rear main seals are crap. I have several buddies who are actual competent Jeep dealer mechanics and see 2-3 of these jobs a week. They will always leak again! The 4.0 I took out of my Jeep has 42K on it and has had 2 main seals done by dealerships and it was nice and moist in that area when I removed it last month. Most people unknowingly tear or damage the top seal when installing it. There is a special lube they use that helps this, but you don't really know until you have it all back together. Mine never actually leaked, just let enough by to leave residue on the back of the oil pan which would get nasty after one trip in the dirt. I had one replaced when my engine got a new cam/lifters/OP/OPDA at 15k, and the other because I just wanted something to do when it was still under warranty. Then I just rinsed and repeated.
Garza is offline  
post #35787 of 41804 Old 02-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Raptor0206
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez View Post

Looking great! Nice to see the old girl getting some new life in her
Thanks, I am getting some rear tube fenders and a rear stinger tire carrier built this week
Raptor0206 is offline  
post #35788 of 41804 Old 02-24-2014, 04:08 PM
1988jeepyj
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza
Don't be surprised if they won't warranty it for you even after they fix it. Jeep 2.5 and 4.0 rear main seals are crap. I have several buddies who are actual competent Jeep dealer mechanics and see 2-3 of these jobs a week. They will always leak again! The 4.0 I took out of my Jeep has 42K on it and has had 2 main seals done by dealerships and it was nice and moist in that area when I removed it last month. Most people unknowingly tear or damage the top seal when installing it. There is a special lube they use that helps this, but you don't really know until you have it all back together. Mine never actually leaked, just let enough by to leave residue on the back of the oil pan which would get nasty after one trip in the dirt. I had one replaced when my engine got a new cam/lifters/OP/OPDA at 15k, and the other because I just wanted something to do when it was still under warranty. Then I just rinsed and repeated.
Man, drove it a bit and leak got a little worse. Ah well, after 26 years I'm used to constant leaks

1988 YJ 2.5, again!
1988jeepyj is offline  
post #35789 of 41804 Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
MMCKEIG
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,254
Who was looking for a set of BFG A/Ts, here is a set of 35x12.50R15s with lots of tread for $400

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/4348978999.html
MMCKEIG is offline  
post #35790 of 41804 Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
PhotoJared
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,648
This is so cool....
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4342220463.html

'99 XJ Sport
It has a lift
It has 31's
It also other stuff
PhotoJared is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Trail Run Thread - Southern Nevada Dr. Marneaus Nevada Jeep Forum 1354 05-05-2016 08:43 PM
Best Trails in Southern Nevada? davidsonlaw Nevada Jeep Forum 17 04-13-2012 04:00 PM
31st. Annual Hump-N-Bump November 4th - 5th 2011 Logandale Nevada - Outside Las Vegas bonofied suiter Nevada Jeep Forum 0 10-08-2011 01:08 AM
Post runs for Las Vegas Nevada area here. ajeepcreep Nevada Jeep Forum 0 02-05-2009 04:40 PM
May 31 / June 1 - Central California/Nevada High Desert (Mojave->Vegas) DiscoBayJoe Nevada Jeep Forum 7 05-22-2008 03:16 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome