Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 238 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #3556
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I was thinking of running Mormon Well tomorrow, but I don't have it in me anymore. After today, I know it was too early for me to get out again. Tomorrow will be a punishment rest day for me. Stuck in bed healing.

I did have a question about Mormon Well rd. Besides scenery, is there anything out there to see? How long is the trail? Not in distance, but time. Thanks, in advance.

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #3557
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Uhh, there's dirt, and plants, and ooh ooh rocks, and uhh sometimes birds and a spring toward the 93 side.
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #3558
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

There is one of my top ten dirtiest bathrooms that I have ever walked into up there. Other than that not much,i spent the whole time saying just a little bit longer to my wife as the kids threw a fit on the back
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #3559
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are some really cool mountain formations on the way to the cabin and lake bed. Oh yeah, there's a mine up there I wanna check out too. I'll find the name of it and be happy to explore it with you sometime.
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #3560
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

oh yeah, my son had a poop playing peek a boo in peek a boo canyon. So he had to take a dump on the side of the trail. I normally pack out what I pack in, but I made an exception that time. I suppose his little crap killed one of the 3 billion chipmunks in the area though and now I will have some hipster cock gobbler knocking on my door tomorrow to help save the endangered chipmunks.

Honestly it is a decent trail, nice little camping/picnic area about halfway.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #3561
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There's also a huge dry lake bed on the north side too. It supposedly comes out in alamo. I wanna get a group together to run that.
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #3562
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
There's also a huge dry lake bed on the north side too. It supposedly comes out in alamo. I wanna get a group together to run that.
You're thinking of Alamo Road, but a month ago there were signs up saying that the road was closed before you got to the dunes (but you can still get to the lake bed).
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #3563
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, that sign has been there for years and people still go through. That's probably why I've heard that recoveries out there start at $1000, and go up from there. I've been told that it's passable, but it get kinda hairy in points and was also told "do not stop!" curious how hard it is, I went about a mile into it and it got really soft like talcum powder. Could be not so fun if it got deep!
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #3564
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

once you start heading up that way, how far of a radius around groom lake to they have blocked off? I guess to go the way that you are talking about in the begining you would have to take a left at the T instead of a right to follow Mormon Wells
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #3565
sirhk100

Well it's official... Transfercase is on the ground behind the jeep and transmission is fully unhooked again. Just gotta pull the bellhousing bolts and it's ready to yank off. I'll get those out tonight and leave just one in it till I have someone there to help me lower it down. Tonight if a friend doesn't swing by to give me a hand with that I'll get the shifter assembly pulled out of the center console, cooler lines running up to the radiator, shifter cables, and all the other associated parts that I'm giving away with it. Not to bad... Pretty much figuring 3 nights to pull the entire thing out at a leisurely pace after hours. Then this weekend I'm hoping to make a large dent in getting the new transmission installed. Although I do still need to go pickup a flywheel for it and a clutch centering tool. Would be nice if I could button it up this weekend cause that would be the quickest easiest swap of any sort I've ever done!
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #3566
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

They put the sign up after a huge flood ran through the are and washed the road out. It was one of the worst floods Lincoln county had ever seen. I thing a group went through an made it passable to vehicles again a few years ago. I have run it since it washed out.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #3567
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's really far from groom lake. At one point though, the trail crosses into the airbase. No markers or anything noticeable. Mtns look pretty cool up thee!
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3568
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Oh yeah, there's a mine up there I wanna check out too. I'll find the name of it and be happy to explore it with you sometime.
My maps only show a few mines near that trail, but all are still well off the trail.

Spanish Mine:
Latitude: 38.3040987 / Longitude: -117.2861991

June Bug Mine:
Latitude: 36.3694113 / Longitude: -115.1725068

Tiffany Quarry:
Latitude: 36.6299689 / Longitude: -114.866946

There could be a few unlisted prospect mines in that area. It's very likely that there are. We've found plenty of mines not on any map.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #3569
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Spanish mine! May be bunk, don't know
Unread 01-18-2012, 02:08 PM   #3570
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Mormon Well is pretty standard.

Trail took a few hours, its something like 48 miles long. Then you've got another good hour to get back home once you hit the 93 out by coyote springs.

There's a capground up there, some cisterns, thats about it other than nice views, at least that i know about.

I plan to go camping up there before too long, its an easy road, and has decent site amenities.

Apparently the bathrooms are nasty though?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.