Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2379 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 02-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #35671
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

One of you guys take this video of the crazy guy shot at red rock? Noticed the loop on the hood for the windshield at the beginning, looks like a TJ.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/la...captured-video

Spaceball is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #35672
Warboar_21
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit
Can anyone ID what year this Dodge is? Cheers.
They started putting the cummins diesel in them in 1989. They ran that body style until 1994. My uncle's friend had a 1992 single cab 4x4 with the cummins in it to tow his boat. That was my introduction to the power of the diesel. He could tow circles around my uncle in his chevy 3/4 ton with 454 V8.

I bought a 99 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 24 valve motor. It has to be one of my all time favorite vehicles I have owned. I would still have it if it wasn't stolen. I could get between 18-20mpg @70mph on a regular basis when driving between here and SLC or Reno and SLC. Not bad for an 8,000lb truck. My cherokee will get around 20mpg @ 70mph if no hills are involved and it is less than half the weight.
Warboar_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #35673
sirhk100

24V from everything I've read are amazing but with the $5K budget I was looking at, the price jump from the 12V to the 24V models put it out of my price range. BTW, my comment above about first hand owners of 12V with autos vs. manual were all face to face conversations with actual owners, not stuff I read on the internet.

If you go ford 7.3L powerstroke do a little research on year to year differences. Somewhere in there they started putting intercoolers in them and that adds a bit more. None of the vans have the intercooler so the trucks will have a bit more power then my Van. '98 they went to the rounded superduty body style and the prices jump at that year break from what I saw cause of the model change. I still saw a few of the superduties in that price range but they usually looked pretty hammered.

Also, after everything I read, I set my limits at trucks with 250K on the odo. I basically determined for myself that I was willing to look at trucks with up to that much mileage but the higher the miles the more judgemental I was on the rest of the truck. My theory was even if it's got 250K, if the rest of the truck is pretty mint for it's age/miles I kind of assume that treatment was carried over to the maintenance. The van I ended up picking up has 177K on it. I don't think it's even hit it's mid-life though, it runs and drives amazing! I think anyone that rides in it will be shocked by the ride quality. I'd never ridden in a van and being the 1 ton chassis, it's not what I expected. It actually truly does drive/ride really nice!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #35674
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great info guys, much appreciated. And thanks for the offer to drive yours Khris. I may well take you up on that in the future. This probably won't happened till much later in the year but I like to get my reading in now to know where I'm heading. The wife and I are currently looking for a house with no hoa and RV parking access so that we have room for this kind of gear, amongst other things ( finally got tired of f%#+ing hoa's and their BS ). I would guess I want 4x4 so I'll read up on the differences between the 250 and 350 and the front axle setups. The Dodges seem like great trucks but probably out of the budget.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:05 AM   #35675
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
My wife has said how much she liked the ZJ, and I told her I would be buying one, she didn't say no to the idea.
:ROFL: You already know the first thing that went through my head when I read that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
I am a cheap *** who wont buy air tools.
No, you just borrow mine for months on end. :flipoff:

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:28 AM   #35676
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Brit View Post
I would guess I want 4x4 so I'll read up on the differences between the 250 and 350 and the front axle setups. The Dodges seem like great trucks but probably out of the budget.
LOL, I hear you on the HOA's, unless something drastically changes with me and my lifestyle, I've never lived in an HOA area and can't see myself ever living in one!

My current driveway likely would not fly!!! LOL Granted, the tent should be back in the garage Wed or Thursday.

And well, my sideyard... Notice there's even a small enclosed trailer back behind the big one! LOL

I wouldn't stress too much about the difference in the front suspension on the 4WD 250/350. They're both great setups. I mean unless you really plan on getting into some crazy stuff, both will pull just fine and both will haul a broken down rig out of the desert equally imo.

You're welcome to take mine for a spin anytime. I seriously love this ride so far and am finally getting comfortable maneuvering it and backing out of spaces with the limited view that a van with no windows gives you. LOL

Unread 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #35677
Warboar_21
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've known several others who have owned the 12V Cummins. Two of them dumped the stock Auto transmission and put in a stronger one due to the stock ones not being up to handling the torque from the motors. The others all had factory manual transmissions and were very happy with them. The 12V would put out more torque than the 24V non high output motor but the 24V would put out more HP. The 12Vs were much louder and smoked more(not an issue for me) but were also a little easier to work on. The 24V was easier to chip and increase power vs the 12V which is more mechanical. One weak point to the early 5.9L was the lifter pump. It was located on the block on the drivers side and in 2003 was moved to the fuel tank with the fuel pump. When people would chip their trucks the old lift pump couldn't handle increased fuel requirements as well and would wear out quickly. Something to look at if you buy used would be if someone has chipped the truck or other performance parts. Torque converters are also another weak part on the auto transmissions. It's also an area of concern when people start putting more power to them. It's why they didn't put the High Output motors in the 1999-2002 automatics. They were barely strong enough to handle the standard 250hp/550tq motor.

I am not as familiar with the Ford as I am with the Dodge. I do believe that the intercooler was introduced when they switched body styles. My friend up in UT has owned Ford diesels from 97 to when the switched to the 6.0L. He bought a new 6.0L and it caught on fire when he was towing his 5th Wheel. He has since gone back to the Power Stroke motor.

The Chevy/Isuzu Duramax had issues with warping their aluminum heads early on(who the eff puts aluminum heads on a truck designed for heavy use?). My brother inlaw told me they were getting a bunch into his dealership with blown/warped heads. Not sure how Chevy fixed the issue.

The majority of these trucks that have high mileage will have very few mechanical problems. The problems will be more vehicle related. most of the time the trucks will fall apart long before the motors will need to be replaced.
Warboar_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #35678
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If I had that gear at my current house I would get tar and feathered by the hoa, lol. To make matters worse, there's a sub hoa too. Two sets of picky twats looking over your shoulder!
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #35679
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Good morning friends

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #35680
sirhk100

LOL, a sub HOA? I don't even know what that is but it sounds like something I wouldn't get along well with! "typically" my driveway just has the two rides without the tent in the middle and my sideyard isn't really viewable with the van parked there. It's not the eyesore it looks in the pictures typically. Now the house around the corner with like 10 vehicles in the yard and then the one about 3 house down from it with another 10... LOL those are classy!

I think the 12V with the manual trans had the NV4500 which is the dream manual for the hardcore jeeper!!! LOL

I purposely steered clear of any with chips and stacks out the bed and performance crap cause for all I know, that owner hot rodded it every day of it's life or pulled the grades loaded down WFO and well, I just didn't want anything coming back to haunt me from a street racing tow rig. LOL On my van, I'm considering dropping in filters, a 4" straight pipe exhaust and a VERY mild chip/tune and that's it. I've heard those 3 things will give me a noticeable increase in MPG, especially while towing. If I put the pedal down, once the turbo spools up, it'll plant and take off like a rocket considering it's size! I don't drive it like that though but it's a neat sensation how the power slowly builds and then it launches! I'm super happy with it's towing though that's for sure and that was the primary reason for my purchase. Only other plans besides building out the interior for camping comfort is a pyrometer gauge, boost gauge and trans temp gauge.

The 6.0L powerstrokes are going to be above your budget and I have yet to hear anything impressive about them and there's endless major problems to be read about regarding them. Sounds like from above the duramax isn't the hot ticket... I never looked into them cause I didn't like the chevy chassis personally so I never even cared to look into the motor aspect.

Unread 02-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #35681
sirhk100

Marn, yours would look great sitting tall like a big boy!

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifie...tails&id=67487

Unread 02-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #35682
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboar_21 View Post
The majority of these trucks that have high mileage will have very few mechanical problems. The problems will be more vehicle related. most of the time the trucks will fall apart long before the motors will need to be replaced.
I had a 99 f350 powerstroke with over 200k and I loved the power, it towed like a champ. The only real issue I had was that wear parts kept breaking and the problem was those parts arenít cheap on a super duty. The wheel bearing units where $550 a piece. Had one of the auto locking hubs seize up on the highway once. Another time I had a brake caliper seize. It was all little stuff that added up.

My recommendation is be very careful to try and do your best to find out the trucks history. Mine had been a western hauler custom build and had been used hard. I think that is why I had so many wear part issues.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #35683
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

The duramax is more expensive but can make a ton of power. I think it is more of the hot rod of the diesel world. I've got friends that swear by their duramax but I'm not spending 40-60k on a truck.
My pops had an 86 f-250 with the NA 6.9. It has 367 k and is still running strong. The truck has seen better days but the thing will still tow.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #35684
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
I had a 99 f350 powerstroke with over 200k and I loved the power, it towed like a champ. The only real issue I had was that wear parts kept breaking and the problem was those parts aren’t cheap on a super duty. The wheel bearing units where $550 a piece. Had one of the auto locking hubs seize up on the highway once. Another time I had a brake caliper seize. It was all little stuff that added up.

My recommendation is be very careful to try and do your best to find out the trucks history. Mine had been a western hauler custom build and had been used hard. I think that is why I had so many wear part issues.
What? Are you talking about the actual wheel bearings or the entire hub aseembly???? Cause the wheel bearings should be no more then $20 a pop and the entire hub assembly can be had brand new for $180-300 depending on if you're going new or re manufactured.

Every 4WD ford owner knows the first thing you do is swap to manual hubs and toss the auto's in the trash!

Unread 02-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #35685
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
What? Are you talking about the actual wheel bearings or the entire hub aseembly???? Cause the wheel bearings should be no more then $20 a pop and the entire hub assembly can be had brand new for $180-300 depending on if you're going new or re manufactured.

Every 4WD ford owner knows the first thing you do is swap to manual hubs and toss the auto's in the trash!
Mine was 4WD so I had hub assemblies. When I bought them they were $500 a piece from parts warehouse, but that was 5 years ago so there may be cheaper aftermarket available now. I think the integrated ABS sensor was part of what made them so expensive and the hubs for mine where only for a limited year range.

After my fun highway stop I switched her over to manual hubs. A change I also highly recommend. The auto lockers are air actuated and very unreliable. If you get a dually the Warn manual hubs say they don't fit but they do. You just have to pull the dually spacer to install them.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.