Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2377 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-Load

Unread 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM   #35641
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Got the sleeves welded into the frame today for the bolts I added to the crossmember. Used 3/4 outer diameter / 1/2 inner diameter tubing. I'm not sure if a soaking wet dish towel is the standard welding practice for protecting gas lines but it seamed to work out well for me.

image.jpg

matthew900 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM   #35642
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pic 2, the page forum will only let me upload one pic at a time from my cellphone for some reason.
image.jpg

Unread 02-16-2014, 06:32 PM   #35643
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

These are the best welds I could get so far. Welding under the vehicle is challenging, at least for me
image.jpg

Unread 02-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #35644
Zjrookie
1998 ZJ 

The welds look good a trick to make it easier next time is bevel the outside of the bushing and the bevel the frame for a grove for penetration kinda like pipe welding
Zjrookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2014, 11:53 PM   #35645
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So I borrowed my buddy's 5.9 ZJ this weekend, and I now want a ZJ. looks like as soon as I get all the crap I need to pay for taken care of, I will be buying a 5.2 ZJ. I don't want a 5.9 due to it needing premium fuel, and how hard it would be to find a nice one stock and unmolested. My wife has said how much she liked the ZJ, and I told her I would be buying one, she didn't say no to the idea.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 08:24 AM   #35646
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900 View Post
These are the best welds I could get so far. Welding under the vehicle is challenging, at least for me
Bolts and attachments need a flat surface under the head to achieve the proper clamping force. When you try to do a flush weld like that, you have to grind it all back off to make the surface flat.

You're better off doing an upside down body mount on the inside of the frame and bolting up to it.
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #35647
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Bolts and attachments need a flat surface under the head to achieve the proper clamping force. When you try to do a flush weld like that, you have to grind it all back off to make the surface flat.

You're better off doing an upside down body mount on the inside of the frame and bolting up to it.
I was just showing how I did it and my short bus welding. Plus I was hoping that if it looked like it wasnít going to hold the guys who are good at welding would comment on what I did wrong. The next thing I did was grind them flat and throw some paint on them. When I ground them down I only saw an outline of the tube in a couple small spots so I think I got decent penetration around most of the tube.

I had contemplated a mount to the inside of the frame rail but I was concerned that it would not be as strong as the bolt through it since I knew how poor my welding skills are. If it will work better Iíll try that next time. I still need to do something for the back brace and that would be a lot easier.
Unread 02-17-2014, 09:57 AM   #35648
sirhk100

If any of you guys have a decent car amp that would do a good job pushing a single 10" sub that you want to let go for a good price let me know. Figured I'd ask here before just picking up a cheap used one off craigslist here in the next week or two. Would prefer a name brand like kicker, fosgate, sony, kenwood, mtx, etc... Not really looking for crunch or boss or the swapmeet type brands.

I need something to help crank my ice cream truck music while driving the van around near the local schools! (Too far? Whoops, my bad...)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #35649
Warboar_21
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
So I borrowed my buddy's 5.9 ZJ this weekend, and I now want a ZJ. looks like as soon as I get all the crap I need to pay for taken care of, I will be buying a 5.2 ZJ. I don't want a 5.9 due to it needing premium fuel, and how hard it would be to find a nice one stock and unmolested. My wife has said how much she liked the ZJ, and I told her I would be buying one, she didn't say no to the idea.
My coworker has an 06 with the 5.7 hemi and has mixed feelings about it. Lots of gremlins but lots of power.
Warboar_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #35650
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Mornin fellas

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #35651
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboar_21
My coworker has an 06 with the 5.7 hemi and has mixed feelings about it. Lots of gremlins but lots of power.
I've heard the same on the 05-08 or 9 whenever they made the change to the current platform. Lots of electrical problems and kinda ugly. I loved my zj fairly comfortable the 5.2 is barely better then the 4.0.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:22 AM   #35652
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Doesn't the 5.2 make like 230 horsepower and the 5.9 also makes 230 horse power?

I'm not sure about issues with the actual jeep vehicle platform but as far as the motor goes, the 5.7 Hemi I had in the magnum was fantastic. I think it had like. 130,000 on it when I sold it and it never had a single problem with the engine. The hemis are pretty bulletproof

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #35653
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I think the 5.2 was 220 and the 5.9 was 250 ish. Isn't the 4.0 like 190. I've never had a "hemi" 5.7 but it seems most people are pretty happy with them. I always laugh to myself when 250hp is described as fast.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2014, 11:40 AM   #35654
sirhk100

Anyone with no life interested in being an extra set of eyeballs and turning a wrench on a race truck for a night or two this week? Sooner the better? Looking for a 2nd person to run thru my prep checklist before I load it back up on the trailer and park it hopefully later this week all setup and ready to go. Would LOVE if someone was available tonight and tomorrow night. I can probably all be done in a single night to be honest but I'm saying two just in case...

I'll be out in the garage starting around 4:30ish. I'll buy pizza or something and can promise some seat time in the truck post race.

Doesn't even actually have to be the same person both nights. I have a list printed and literally just mark it off as I go. Would love to have every box checked with two marks. You can just work your way down it picking and choosing what you want to knock out. It's everything from checking tightness on nuts and bolts to just flipping on switches to make sure lights and stuff work. It'll also give me a chance to check intercom and race radio and that stuff since it's kinda hard to do solo. LOL

Unread 02-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #35655
sirhk100

Sounds like I've gotta a taker on the race truck stuff but the more the merrier. It's pretty easy stuff for the most part.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.