Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 211 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #3151
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

We considered that, but as we traveled down the interstate the position of the line never moved. That picture was taken from the passenger window facing east. The sun was already beginning to set which was west of our position. No way it could have been a shadow from the sun and there were no other light sources.

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM   #3152
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here it is from several hundred yards before. You can see the "shadow" hasn't changed position and the contrail wouldn't match it as a shadow.
img_6373.jpg  
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #3153
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I just Googled "contrail shadow" and it looks like you're right, McRoberts. Now I feel silly for even posting that. I've lived near military airports my whole life and never saw anything like that.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #3154
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Fuc**** work!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Thank you, that is all.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #3155
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

dang ysb, if it was not for bad luck you would not have any at all!!. Started to remind me of when I browsed through doc's build thread with all of the issues he had at first.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:11 PM   #3156
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Plumbers make good money and be happy you have a job in this town.
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:12 PM   #3157
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
I've had the same feeling as of this Monday. I can hardly stand going to work. I'm looking for something that pays as much then I'm gone.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:17 PM   #3158
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
dang ysb, if it was not for bad luck you would not have any at all!!. Started to remind me of when I browsed through doc's build thread with all of the issues he had at first.
As with most things in my Jeep, a 20 minute job is at least an hour. Life could be better, but for the most part I still consider myself fortunate.

Have a look where it broke. There I am under the Jeep. Just past those posts is where it broke. That's not a rough area at all. I really am hoping it was just a material quality issue. At this point, I'm a little worried about replacing it with the same shock.

Oddly enough, with the exception of a few dips in the road, my Jeep felt much more comfortable without the shock.
img_6353.jpg  
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3159
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny

Plumbers make good money and be happy you have a job in this town.
Lol! It's not my WORK... It's the people that work in my office, that and customers who blame me for their home warranty company not covering all costs with a plumbing repair. I love my career dont get me wrong, it's sometimes I need to vent/scream cuz of inconsiderate people. Cant do it with my wife cuz she is the office manager where I work. It's my dispatcher and "office supervisor" who make it hard at the office.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #3160
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ysb, stop driving it like you stole it!!
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:40 PM   #3161
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny

I've heard of leaks before, but never heard of anyone snapping a shock piston even when catching air. I always read about people breaking shock mounts before shocks. I really didn't think I would have to worry about anything with a $100 shock.
Doesn't much matter what you've heard or seen..because it obviously DOES happen...it just happened to YOU. don't know what else proof you need haha

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #3162
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ysb, isn't that the same corner that was broken before? Either odd coincidence or something's up with that corner?
Unread 01-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #3163
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81

Lol! It's not my WORK... It's the people that work in my office, that and customers who blame me for their home warranty company not covering all costs with a plumbing repair. I love my career dont get me wrong, it's sometimes I need to vent/scream cuz of inconsiderate people. Cant do it with my wife cuz she is the office manager where I work. It's my dispatcher and "office supervisor" who make it hard at the office.
Just remember what I always say. 'Customers suck'

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 01:36 AM   #3164
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Not if you're a prostitute!!
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #3165
sirhk100

I'm assuming all the bolts and stuff were still on and nothing fell off hardware wise right?

Already mentioned but first thing I thought of was wrong length shock. With a tape measure you could figure out if you have the right one. I could try to explain how to measure but a quick sketch on a piece of paper would go a million miles further then my words...

2nd would be you got bad luck and got the one crappy built one.

Even running the jeep into the abuse category a shock really shouldn't fail like that if it's the right lengths. On compression it shouldn't bottom out cause the bumpstops should stop it before it does. If you leave the ground jumping it, the rebound valving should slow the drooping axle enough that when the shock fully extends it doesn't rip the piston right off the end. The shocks are used as droop limiters and therefore they're built to withstand the sudden stop when they fully extend. Only way I've seen shocks legitimately snap like that are from hydrolock which is usually on race shocks where someone rebuilds them and puts too much oil in them. Or whatever they're mounted to fails basically and they get ripped off the vehicle.

My gut feeling assuming all else is good on your jeep and you're sure it's the right length is you just got a bad luck one...
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.