Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 210 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM   #3136
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Any body up to do some parts foraging this weekend.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #3137
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Any body up to do some parts foraging this weekend.
A buddy and I are gonna hit the JY Sunday possibly if you are interested. I still need a yoke.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #3138
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I was thinking more of the red dodge variety.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #3139
sirhk100

Junk yard run is on my list of things to do but won't be till next weekend. I'm gonna be on the hunt for a set of Dana 44 spindles off a 4wd full size ford. I want to build something stronger spindle wise on my yota cause right now that's my fear and weak link and a broken spindle at speed is not what I want in my future!

And you know, ride quality on solid axles aren't the best but with some time and tuning you'd be shocked what they can do that's for sure! I used to ride shotgun in this!

sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #3140
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's how my day went:

I spent about an hour driving back and forth along old logging and mining trails trying to get the shocks dialed in just right. You know what? You men were right. Stiffer up front is way better. There was hardly any rocking after a hard stop and I felt more in control in tight turns.

Here's where we spent most of our day. It's one of the ranges between Pahrump and Sandy Valley. There were plenty of tailing piles all the way up to the top of this mountain. What was annoying us is that as we got to each open adit we found each was covered with fairly fresh cement. Even all the way to the top the adits were sealed. We saw plenty of cool relics on the way up, but it was a huge disppointment to climb a whole mountain and not be able to get inside it.
img_6325.jpg  
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #3141
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

After about 4 hours on that mountain, we started to head down. The drive wasn't rough at all. There are section of Las Vegas Blvd that are worse. Then, the Jeep started to bounce. I got out and found this...

FOOOOOOOOOKKK!!!
img_6349.jpg  
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #3142
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

My brand new shock, not only busted, the piston snapped. Again, it wasn't a difficult trail at all. There wasn't anything technical about it. I had a hard time getting it out on the trail because of the angle and weight. It put stress on the bolts. After half an hour, it came out and we had a bouncy 10+ miles back to pavement and another 25+ miles back to 4 Wheel Parts.

They've always been great with their warranties. Delivery to my door in a couple days. Sucks to have to deal with this again. I haven't read anything negative about the shocks. Hopefully, it was just a fluke.
img_6363.jpg  
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #3143
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

awwww.

it happens!

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:26 PM   #3144
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Last picture of the day. This was one of the strangest things we've seen out here. On the way home on the interstate, I looked over and saw this. I have several pictures of it, but this one is the clearest. You all have my word this photo was not altered in any way other than resizing.

There is a dark line from the ground up or the other way around. It's not smoke. The wind was south to north and there was no distortion to the line at all. It's not a shadow. If it were a shadow, it would be narrow at the top and wider at the base.

Does anyone know what this is? Any theories, no matter how wacky would be appreciated too.
img_6374.jpg  
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #3145
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
awwww.

it happens!
I've heard of leaks before, but never heard of anyone snapping a shock piston even when catching air. I always read about people breaking shock mounts before shocks. I really didn't think I would have to worry about anything with a $100 shock.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:29 PM   #3146
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That's the alien space tube. I know this is a stupid question but you got the right length shocks right?
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #3147
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Yeah, checked and double checked. I did read in the tech forum that some shocks didn't match the packaging, but the model number on the shocks matched the model on the packaging. I'm hoping they just had a bad material quality day.

The road we all went on that Saturday was way worse than the road we were on today.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #3148
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
Yeah, checked and double checked. I did read in the tech forum that some shocks didn't match the packaging, but the model number on the shocks matched the model on the packaging. I'm hoping they just had a bad material quality day.

The road we all went on that Saturday was way worse than the road we were on today.
I would say that it was bumpy.
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #3149
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Jackhole.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #3150
McRoberts
2011 JK Wrangler 

Shadow from a contrail. Considering the amount of dust (smog) in the air, you are seeing the shadow of the contrail through the particles. Hence, the shadow-y trail that follows.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.