Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 209 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #3121
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

We found this at the base of one of the mines. Not sure what it was. It appears to be something custom made. No idea what the gear set in the middle would do. I should have taken a closer look at those axles.

img_6067.jpg  
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #3122
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Don't know what this is either. Maybe a kiln or something for cooking. Really sturdy urinal?
img_6073.jpg  
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:17 PM   #3123
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Since all of my pictures are starting to look the same, I'll try to only post new things. Last picture for today. This was way up the mountain side. I didn't have it in me to climb today, so this was taken from a distance. I think it might be a core sample drill. It's definitely a recent operation.

There wasn't a single posting for trespassing or private property anywhere nearby. Not even a claim marker. We left anyway.

So, that was my day.
img_6127.jpg  

Last edited by YouStupidBunny; 01-03-2012 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add picture. Derrr...
Unread 01-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #3124
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
I challenge any of you to get a picture similar to this while wheelin' in your TJ/YJ/CJ's!!!! Psh, all you baby jeeps!

Holy Aviators!
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM   #3125
sirhk100

Bunny, what shocks are you messing with? Some adjustable RS9000 type things or what? You may have posted but I haven't been online in the last week or so while I was out of town for the holidays. Some shocks for my jeep are on the list eventually down the road. My rear ones at least are way too soft in my opinion. I've got other things further up the list though project wise like selling auto trans so I can install new manual trans! LOL
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #3126
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

The new RS9000XL's by Rancho. Other than the new paint, I don't know what the difference is between the RS9000's and the RS9000XL's.

I have a lighter 2.5 and was afraid shocks valved for the 4.0 would be too stiff. I think the RS9000XL's are still stiff on the road, but there may be a break in period for them. Do you know if there is?

So far, I have mixed impressions of them. The adjustment doesn't seem to do much for comfort. As far as I can tell, they only adjust the amount of body roll.

Do you know if shocks are supposed to be softer in the front and stiffer in the back or is it the other way around? I assumed they are supposed to be softer up front. They are 9 point adjustable (1 is softest. 9 is stiffest), so I have them set 2 up front and 5 in the rear. I've tried them in various combinations, but found that good for on and off road. I don't have the remote control for them and I don't feel like laying in the dirt to adjust them.
Unread 01-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #3127
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny
Don't know what this is either. Maybe a kiln or something for cooking. Really sturdy urinal?
Chuck norris' urinal!!
I know it's two different worlds, but when I was riding street bikes, if you went too tight on rear shocks, you would get mad wheel hop on deceleration, and it would bounce a lot going down the freeway. Tighter up front gave better control while braking for turns and wasn't as hard on my kidneys on the freeway. I know your not street racing, but I would try soft out back(less weight) and tight up front(more weight)
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #3128
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I guess it is just the way I think, but all I got from that is that you need to loosen up if you are going to be hopping on a tight rear
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #3129
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Other way around! If you are hopping on a rear, they are goin to loosen up!! I was waiting for the jokes. Like I said though, it's two totally different worlds between offroad/on road jeep and street bikes. I'm pretty sure the main principles are the same however. Tighter preload on heavier end and looser preload on lighter end. Also have rebound adjustments, and spring rates on the bikes. I have no experience with adjustable shocks on 4 wheels though. Pretty sure the adjustment is going to be combo preload and rebound together on those shocks, but again, not sure. Long story short-stiff up front and loose out back :giggitty giggitty goo:
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #3130
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

shocks are only going to soften it up so much, esp if it is a very stiff spring. But it is always good to be able to have some room to adjust to your driving condition/style.

on a second note, be careful if you are going to feed the horses up near Cold Creek, they get very upset when you run out of food. one bit my belt loop while I was putting my daughter in the back of the Jeep. I guess I looked like I tasted good. most awkward feeling to have horse lips on your love handles, sorta scared the crap out of me actually. But the wife had a good laugh at it.
gregaf3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #3131
sirhk100

I got bit by one of the mules in oatman when I stopped feeding it! LOL

In a perfect world, you'd want your springs to be just strong enough to hold your vehicle at it's ride height but as soft as possible. Then you'd do all your tuning thru your shocks as far as ride quality goes. Unfortunately 99% of us with our jeeps don't have the option of fine tuning/selecting springs and spring rates. The 1% that do are the guys that are running a true coilover shock like what's on my toyota basically. So instead we deal with whatever Jeep or the aftermarket lift kit your running provides you.

I haven't dealt with the RS9000 type shocks to be honest with you. I would agree with power though that it should be stiffer up front and softer in the rear "typically". I'm assuming you're not carrying a crap load of weight in the back... When you're making changes though... At first only make the change on either front or the rear and make the changes big. If it was me doing it... I'd go and try to find a dirt road section near some paved roads that had a bit of characteristics that you're typically driving on. Washboard, rocky, smooth, whatever it is you typically find yourself on. I'd personally set the rear shocks at the mid level and then run a predetermined route with the front at setting 1. Then again at 5, then again at 9. This should hopefully show you a noticable difference in ride quality assuming the shocks really work as advertised. You should be able to get an idea of what the changes are and see how they affect it. From there you can kind of guess what setting you're going to like and adjust from there. Then once you have the front where you like it, move to the rear and do the same so that you can see how the rear reacts to the different settings.

This sounds boring and monotonous but really it's shouldn't take more then 30 minutes or so if you lay out like a 5 minute test loop somewhere. All you're doing is turning a dial on the shock... I'm jealous honestly cause on my toyota I do the same thing only in between runs I drive home, pull the shocks off the truck, literally pull them apart, change the internal parts out after waiting for mail order parts and then reassemble and retest... I wish I had a dial to simply get out and turn! LOL
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:59 AM   #3132
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Ok, what you guys are saying is opposite of what I was thinking. Here's what I was thinking. Soft front, stiff rear. My reasoning was thinking of all the shocks working as a single unit and not independantly.

Kind of like the front shocks handled the first stage of impact so they needed to be softer while the rears handled the second stage of impact and were there to balance out the Jeep after the impact.

I'll try out what you guys said today. I was fairly happy with what I had dialed in yesterday, but if what you guys say is the right way, I should be happier. Thanks, men!
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #3133
sirhk100

Generally front is always stiffer then the rear. Only exception would be on vehicles expected to haul a lot of weight! Basically you have the engine up front so you have the shocks setup to handle the extra momentum that weight causes as it's bouncing around. In the rear it's lighter so you want a softer shock to deal with the less momentum in weight. Stiff in the rear is also going to cause a more noticeably harsh ride.

I can see where you were coming from thought wise but for the most part you're wrong! HAHAHA SUCKA!!! Then again, not everyone thinks what's good is good. You may find that for you personally what you have setup is better but I'd for sure try the opposite basically cause in automotive theory what you have setup is backwards unfortunately. I've seen some people go completely against the grain though and make things work great so who knows... Trial and error is your best bet honestly but if I was betting I'd say stiff front, soft rear will make you happier.
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3134
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Beat me to it. Also you won't ever get the ride quality out of a solid axel that you will out of an independent front.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #3135
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You could try trading it for an Oldsmobile. I hear they have cushy suspensions.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.