Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2065 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #30961
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am trying to decide between these two bikes: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_comp_xii.htm and http://www.konaworld.com/lava_dome.cfm

The Kona supposedly has a stronger frame, but has lower grade components, would cost about $10 more but already be assembled, adjusted/tuned due to purchasing at local bike shop.
The Motobecane's frame supposedly isn't as strong, but has significantly higher grade components, would cost less, and would require some assembly (no problem) adjustment/tuning (no idea how to do this).

I'm not a 'hardcore' biker so I think a super beefy frame (if one really IS that much better than the other) is negligible, but spending another $85 to get a 'some assembly required' bike tuned/adjusted doesn't sound too appealing either.

Anyone have any advice?

B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #30962
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'll speak on behalf of Marn here, just buy another gun!
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #30963
sirhk100

I don't know anything about the monavie bike or whatever it was and I'm far from a bike expert but I do know KONA's have had a pretty good reputation for years and years now.

What are you looking to do with the bike? Just general fitness stuff or what? I've gotta mtn bike in my shed that's brand new... I should really dust it off and go peddle some fat around the block someday! LOL

Oh and Andy, Picked up a Dewalt Cordless Impact tonight just so you won't have to whine next time! LOL Just tested it, it works, probably too good, I think it'll strip the lugs if you're not careful with it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #30964
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just looking to do some basic riding and light trails. Kona has a good reputation, but on multiple forums motobecane has proven to be a big bang for the buck.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #30965
sirhk100

Yeah, I can't comment on the motobecane at all cause I have zero experience with it. Back in college I had a Kona and had a roomie that raced dual slalom on one and we both liked them. Now I have some goofy full suspension mongoose... I'd be down for some entry level fat man trail riding here once temps come down and my life isn't full of deadlines, say... Oct'ish.

Unread 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #30966
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B0nez
Just looking to do some basic riding and light trails. Kona has a good reputation, but on multiple forums motobecane has proven to be a big bang for the buck.
You're making me want to get one....

I vote Motobecane because of what you said, I'm a huge fan of bang for buck.

As for the assembly and adjustments, it's probably just final derailleur adjustments.

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:41 PM   #30967
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Oh and Andy, Picked up a Dewalt Cordless Impact tonight just so you won't have to whine next time! LOL Just tested it, it works, probably too good, I think it'll strip the lugs if you're not careful with it.
But I whine so well! I was actually thinking about making one of those speed handle things that you posted a video of a while back. I have all the stuff needed to do it sitting in my garage.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #30968
sirhk100

I'm still going to keep the lug wrench on the truck for dead battery reasons and whatever else but should be a nice addition. I need to play with it to get a feel for how tight is too tight! I tightened the lugs by hand like I normally do, then hit them with it and it has no problem cranking them down tighter! LOL

Unread 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #30969
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

for the most part these days you are only paying for the frame. All of the other components are built by other companies. So basically read the reviews at what geometry will be good for your body then from there see what has the best component packages.

And while I do fully agree with the budget type approach, be prewarned that not all bikes use the same geometry or measurements. So there is a possibility that you can get a bike that will not fit you right. You need to look at both seat to handle bar measurements and seat to pedal measurements. Some bikes use different geometry for different situations too... for example you do not want the same postures on a downhill bike as you would want on a cross country type mountain bike.

With that said I would advise just hitting up a good local store and try on a few bikes to see what you like and put a bike in your hand to see the quality difference between the component levels. Las Vegas Cyclery http://lasvegascyclery.com/ is one of the better local stores that I have found. They normally have plenty of stock and if you are looking for a cheaper approach they normally have their rental bikes for sale too. Yeah maybe a scratch here and there, but they have been gone through by their techs.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:48 PM   #30970
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I'm still going to keep the lug wrench on the truck for dead battery reasons and whatever else but should be a nice addition. I need to play with it to get a feel for how tight is too tight! I tightened the lugs by hand like I normally do, then hit them with it and it has no problem cranking them down tighter! LOL
Does it have a torque limiter? Something you can set to ensure you don't go too tight?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #30971
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

X2 on Las Vegas cyclery. They were super cool both times I've delt with them. Both times I delt with one of the part owners, and he was very helpful.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #30972
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Go test ride a bunch of bikes. That's going to be the most helpful thing. You may think you like one thing but something else may be way more comfortable for you.

Hit up McGhies. Their service was 10x better than any of the other places we were shopping.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #30973
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the tips/advice! I have been to a number of different shops including the LVC, Dicks, Broken Spoke, & Southwest Bikes and what I learned completely changed what I thought I wanted which is what lead me to narrowing down to those two bikes. Unfortunately even the rentals are way out of my budget to purchase and I have been thus far unsuccessful in finding a good private party used bike that has what I want in it. After reading through multiple forums etc. on the net for a few hours I am leaning toward the Motobecane but now I am gonna really have to double check all the frame measurements to make sure I get exactly the right one before I order if I end up going that route. Dan, the manager at Southwest Bikes is an awesome guy and I have spent multiple hours talking with, even mentioned that for what that Motobecane has, it's a great deal if the frame is going to be strong enough for me and he wouldn't have any problem working on a bike I ordered if I didn't get one from his shop .. Totally cool guy. If anyone is looking for a great place with awesome customer service I recommend hitting those guys up too.
Unread 09-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #30974
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Khris, in response to your twerking video post the other day. It was a fake.

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Kimmel: 'Twerking girl on fire' video was a hoax

http://usat.ly/17NGP0E
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #30975
sirhk100

yeah I saw that yesterday, pretty funny!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.