Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 204 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 12-31-2011, 08:15 AM   #3046
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Thanks for that, Spaceman. I thought about ordering the eliminators when I ordered the shocks, but wanted to save a little money. After looking at the picture in the link, wouldn't I still need to remove that busted bolt?

YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #3047
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Ifeel bad for you YSB.. i would have nightmares about leaving MGM after a UFC fight..... Speaking of witch... want to shoot some time this weekend?
I'd like to meet you in person some day.
You want to meet me? You'd just be another person that wants to launch me off a cliff.

Yeah, getting out of there sucked. We parked in the employee garage which is right next to the MGM Arena, so that made it a little easier, but traffic control around there was terrible. There were police on motorcycles at every corner, but they were just sitting there looking around. None of them were directing traffic at all.

All traffic signals at the properties edge were only letting maybe 5 cars out at a time. Everything inside MGM property wasn't moving. Even worse is that nobody in this city understands right of way.

I'll still go to future events, but will park somewhere else when there is a major holiday and just take the monorail in.
Unread 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #3048
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you have a cutting wheel or grinder you could remove the head of the bolt with?
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #3049
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ysb, could you use a dremel? I haven't looked at my rear shock mounts, so I'm not able to visualize. Again, if you need help, I'm at home today milling around in the garage, and you can use my tools(not my man tools:laugh;-seriously, no man tools)
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #3050
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I don't have a dremel and don't know if I would have enough room if I did. From what it looks like, the only way would be to chisel it out from the bottom or lift it out and chisel or grind from the top. I tried a 5 lb sledge, but my hands could barely grip it. Been in bed medicated all morning.
Unread 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #3051
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

This is the view from the driver side rear. Not really much to see in this picture. This is here mostly for persepective. I tried to hold open the fender well with some empty ammo boxes.
img_6042.jpg  
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #3052
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's a closer view through that same slot through the fender well. Doesn't look like I can grind it off from teh top unless I lifted the body. The bolt is mounted to the top of the tub out of reach.
img_6044.jpg  
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #3053
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Here's where the bolt broke at inside bar pin bolt. You can also see how I used a ratchet strap attached to the frame to pull the shock against the remaining bolt. Without it, it kept sliding off the one bolt.
img_6046.jpg  
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #3054
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Another wider shot for perspective. That's the fuel tank on the right. Frame to the left.
img_6045.jpg  
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #3055
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

From what I've read in the tech section of this forum, it seems like others are using an air chisel from the bottom to punch the tacked bolt loose. A few others are lifting the body and either using an air chisel from the top or grinding it off. Anyone have any other ideas?

At this point, it looks like I'm just going to limp it around until monday and find a shop that can fix it.
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:19 PM   #3056
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think you can fit a dremmel straight up in that opening with a cutting wheel if the shock was removed. You could also try to drill it out from below with a smaller drill bit than the hole. You could get a screw driver and hammer and try to punch it out yourself. It's hard to say without being there and seeing how much room you have to work with though. If you don't have a dremmel I would try to drill it out straight up through the bottom.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #3057
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

There's hardly any room to get a good swing with a hammer. Not sure if there would be enough room for a dremel to get in there straight. I think I'm just going to let a pro handle this. At this point, my hands can barely hold a hammer.

If anyone here wants to give it a try, I'll pay a fair wage.
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:29 PM   #3058
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

One more thing about last night. Two girls got into a fight because one said wrestling was fake and the other was a wrestling fan. She was defending Lesnar as if he would care anything about her.

However, I did see a boobie.
Unread 12-31-2011, 03:47 PM   #3059
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I think I'll pop off the fender well tomorrow and see how much room I have to work with. I may be able to wrench the nut off with a breaker bar.
Unread 12-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #3060
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Try soaking it overnight in a penetrating oil (not your gay anal lube), then put a notch on the bolt and try unscrewing it with a flat head screwdriver. There should not be any tension on it... Unless it is cross threaded

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.