Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 2017 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #30241
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's a sensor, no cable. The gear cannot accept the shaft backwards, there's a square at the end of the shaft, and inside the gear. The get just pushes onto the sensor housing. Even stock, there was about 1/2 of slack lateral travel of the gear on the sensor housing. No damage though. Only since SYE install. The plastic shaft gear inside the SYE has both snap rings in place.

Unread 08-11-2013, 01:59 AM   #30242
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So after scouring the interweb for the last 45 minutes, Ive found NO ONE else has had this issue that i can see. Ive followed all of the install instructions and nothing indicates why this is happening. WTF?
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #30243
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
So after scouring the interweb for the last 45 minutes, Ive found NO ONE else has had this issue that i can see. Ive followed all of the install instructions and nothing indicates why this is happening. WTF?
Did you install the drive gear on the output shaft correctly before you put the tail housing together?.....it does go a certain way, but I've only seen it chew up the plastic gear, not do what you show. But I guess its possible.
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #30244
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, snap ring, plastic drive gear sleeve, snap ring. Right? I checked to see if it drives the same whether reversed or not. It drives the same direction either way.

It can only go on one way, right? It's acting like the speedo gear is too short and is being thrust up to the housing because its not centered in the middle of the drive shaft gear. Either that, or the marks on the housing are irrelevant with my SYE/ gear tooth combo(doubtful.)
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #30245
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Would a paper thin metal washer with a bit of high temp grease work between the two?
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 09:31 AM   #30246
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Power junky I am eating speedo gears also in my YJ after the SYE. First worked for about 1K then went. I actually replaced the gear inside the T-Case again. Second gear went right away. I indexed according to the marks on the case housing and checked the FSM to make sure.

Haven't worked it been using a GPS. I did find a thread out there same issue. Bottom line recommendation was to install while turning the shaft to make sure it was aligned to mesh with the blue gear on the shaft and wasn't binding. Index the eccentric at the largest setting for the gear to mesh and disregard the case marks. I know you still have to get the housing in the hold
down bracket.

Hope that is as clear as mid. I still have parts laying around I guess I should fix it.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #30247
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I'm glad at least someone heard of this issue. I may need to come up with another sensor housing, it's pretty mushroomed, and I don't know if it will still work ok. I'll raise the rear and spin the shaft as I insert the gear and see what that does. I'll know after just a few miles.
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #30248
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How do you know that the gear actually fails? Does your speedo stop working?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #30249
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02
How do you know that the gear actually fails? Does your speedo stop working?
No, but it does cause needle float on the gauge at around 65 mph. When I removed the factory sensor/gear assy, there was no such damage to the gear or sensor housing. I can see eventually the mushrooming could get to the point where it allows enough misalignment to destroy the teeth on both gears and have all the tiny melted plastic bits in the pump strainer.
Unread 08-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #30250
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

No, but it does cause needle float on the gauge at around 65 mph. When I removed the factory sensor/gear assy, there was no such damage to the gear or sensor housing. I can see eventually the mushrooming could get to the point where it allows enough misalignment to destroy the teeth on both gears and have all the tiny melted plastic bits in the pump strainer.
Or you could be changing it before it has a chance to take a set. Have you considered that the gear might be out of alignment making the mushrooming necessary to put it into alignment?

Side note: the truck I really wanted that Khris posted a link to a while back has been sold. I am going to go cry now.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #30251
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

Or you could be changing it before it has a chance to take a set. Have you considered that the gear might be out of alignment making the mushrooming necessary to put it into alignment?

Side note: the truck I really wanted that Khris posted a link to a while back has been sold. I am going to go cry now.
Why would it mushroom the stock gear and housing? Is the blue drive gear larger than stock? If so, that would confirm what joker was saying about using the largest index and still get readings.
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #30252
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Why would it mushroom the stock gear and housing? Is the blue drive gear larger than stock? If so, that would confirm what joker was saying about using the largest index and still get readings.
Because the stock housing is no longer supported the way that it was before the SYE. you changed tail housings correct? You had to put the stock speedo housing into the new tail housing?

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #30253
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No. Used the SYE housing, but the stock sensor and sensor housing. That's the housing I was referring to(speedo sensor housing.)
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #30254
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No. Used the SYE housing, but the stock sensor and sensor housing. That's the housing I was referring to(speedo sensor housing.)
That is what I mean. You have a SYE tail housing. A stock speedo housing and a stock speedo gear. Now, imagine that the hole in the tails haft housing isn't in the exact same alignment as stock. The gears then have a different offset and therefore align differently than they did stock. It would be similar to adding shims to your pinion gear on your diff but leaving all else the same. The gears don't ride the same and therefore wear differently. Because those gears are made of metal, they don't mushroom but if they were made of plastic they sure as hell would. Once they reached their sweet spot, they would be fine.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #30255
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do you think that's what's happening? Is that normal? Brain says that's not good, but I don't know. Anyone else have an aftermarket SYE that they can pull the speedo gear an look at? Please, pretty please? Rofl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.