Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1996 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #29926
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
I went rabbit hunting last night, didn't get home untill 1:40am. Downed 8 rabbits and 3 rats(kangaroo rats i think).
Rabbit sounds tasty but Rat? I think I'd pass on that.

matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #29927
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I dont eat rabbits or rats... But coyotes do!
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #29928
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Morning fellas

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #29929
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mornin' Doc
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #29930
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
I dont eat rabbits or rats... But coyotes do!
So you were just out killing them for fun?

Maybe it's me, but I don't get the point of hunting unless you're going to consume the kill. That's probably why I prefer fishing, were at least if I don't want to eat the catch, I can release it and it can live on until the next time.
MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #29931
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

Maybe it's me, but I don't get the point of hunting unless you're going to consume the kill. That's probably why I prefer fishing, were at least if I don't want to eat the catch, I can release it and it can live on until the next time.
I'm a big hunter and normally I feel the same way. Except for animals that are causing problems with over population. I'm 100% ok with shooting rabbits, coyotes, rats, whatever. Not cool with making something suffer though. I tAke it pretty hard when you track a wounded deer for 3 hrs and find it still alive. If you can't kill it clean, don't.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #29932
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

I agree
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #29933
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio

I'm a big hunter and normally I feel the same way. Except for animals that are causing problems with over population. I'm 100% ok with shooting rabbits, coyotes, rats, whatever. Not cool with making something suffer though. I tAke it pretty hard when you track a wounded deer for 3 hrs and find it still alive. If you can't kill it clean don't.
I understand the population control issue. So what do you do with the dead rabbits and rats? Use them as bait to kill a coyote? An then do you eat the coyote? I guess I just don't understand the need. Now if you had land and the coyote was impacting your livestock an livelihood, then I understand, but I live like .75 miles from Puck and we have no threat of coyotes impacting our lives here next to the 215, so I guess I just don't understand the situation.
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #29934
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

I understand the population control issue. So what do you do with the dead rabbits and rats? Use them as bait to kill a coyote? An then do you eat the coyote? I guess I just don't understand the need. Now if you had land and the coyote was impacting your livestock an livelihood, then I understand, but I live like .75 miles from Puck and we have no threat of coyotes impacting our lives here next to the 215, so I guess I just don't understand the situation.
I understand where you are coming from and on your side of the 215 it isn't a big deal. Farther south I've seen coyotes near 215/93 interchange. Coyotes have gotten much more abundant in the past 3-5 years. Utah has been worse and that is why the bounty went from $20-50. Most people don't skin a coyote after they trap/kill. I have and it isn't pretty but you used to get paid decent money for fur.
Bobcat on the other hand has been decent. Like $400-1200 each.
As far as food baiting that is against the law in Nevada. If I were to kill a rabbit I would plan on consuming it. Unless it was a jack rabbit.
What I'm sure most on here understand is the problem with over population is that they will come further into town to find food. Near golf courses where rabbits are everywhere. But what happens is when there isn't a rabbit, but a small dog, cat, or kid. That's where the problem arises. That or you see coyotes, deer, horses, starving to death because the land can't support the numbers. To me that is much worse that getting killed.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #29935
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

I know folks who have had their dogs killed on golf courses by coyotes.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 08-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #29936
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Least graphic kill.

20130801_235226.jpg

These big bastards were every where. We saw probly 20+ in the few hours we were out, and even more of the rats. I was surprised that we didnt see a coyote while out there.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #29937
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
Least graphic kill.

These big bastards were every where. We saw probly 20+ in the few hours we were out, and even more of the rats. I was surprised that we didnt see a coyote while out there.
So what do you do with them after you kill them?
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #29938
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio

I understand where you are coming from and on your side of the 215 it isn't a big deal. Farther south I've seen coyotes near 215/93 interchange. Coyotes have gotten much more abundant in the past 3-5 years. Utah has been worse and that is why the bounty went from $20-50. Most people don't skin a coyote after they trap/kill. I have and it isn't pretty but you used to get paid decent money for fur.
Bobcat on the other hand has been decent. Like $400-1200 each.
As far as food baiting that is against the law in Nevada. If I were to kill a rabbit I would plan on consuming it. Unless it was a jack rabbit.
What I'm sure most on here understand is the problem with over population is that they will come further into town to find food. Near golf courses where rabbits are everywhere. But what happens is when there isn't a rabbit, but a small dog, cat, or kid. That's where the problem arises. That or you see coyotes, deer, horses, starving to death because the land can't support the numbers. To me that is much worse that getting killed.
I completely understand that. I come from a background of spending time every summer on my uncle's farms and us chasing coyotes off the land every couple nights. I just don't understand the killing of the rabbits and rats, especially if baiting is illegal in NV. Why kill them if not consuming as Puck said he's not consuming them.
Unread 08-02-2013, 11:26 AM   #29939
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
So what do you do with them after you kill them?
throw them in a pile.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #29940
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Why kill them if not consuming as Puck said he's not consuming them.
To make the pile bigger.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.