Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#39,823 ·
Syncityj said:
I have a buddy who is looking for a d44. What do you want for it? I will see him Monday morning.
Free. You might want to call him today because it's loaded into my truck that I have to relinquish on Monday. So the plan was monday AM to hit the recycler.
Can I call you or call me? I would like to get together with you today and maybe grab it from you.

#39,824 ·
Syncityj said:
Can I call you or call me? I would like to get together with you today and maybe grab it from you.
Super sorry man. I woke up around 6 checked the forum around 6:30 while I was getting ready and didn't see anything. Walked the dog and then off to the scrap yard when they opened at 8am :-(

#39,828 ·
Hey khris I have a question for you about the prime replay cameras. How do you like them? Are they good? Bad? Pros and cons.
I'll take this...at this point I think we'd have to say, we don't know. We just got 3 Prime X's to set up on the race truck. We were using the previous version, the 1080s.

Regarding the 1080s, the thing I like most about them (and the Prime X is the same) is the shape and mounting options. Go Pros are boxy, you have to buy a case to protect it, and in my opinion their mounting options aren't great. The biggest advantage of the Replay cameras to me is their size/shape and ability to mount securely in tons of different ways.

The biggest problem we had with the 1080 was turning it on and off. You have to really pay attention to it to ensure that you've pushed it on to start. Another issue we had was the settings adjustments (contrast, light/dark, etc) are not intuitive and take a fair amount of effort to dail in. The sense I get from the Go Pros is that regarding visual quality they are pretty plug and play.

Two factors made the Prime worth upgrading to for us. First is the Prime is wifi enabled so you can download the app and start/stop recording, make view adjustments, etc all from your smart phone. So for us we figure that will eliminate the biggest problem we had with the 1080s. Second, cost. The Prime X retails at like $100 less or more than the Go Pro 4 silver and $200 less than the Go Pro 4 black.

Time permitting Khris will hopefully get a chance to get them set up and run around the block with them on to get us a teaser of angles, quality, etc. Happy to share that if you're interested. Then obviously post Mint 400 we should have plenty of footage to share.

#39,829 ·
^^^ What he said. Hoping maybe this weekend but if not, one afternoon next week to get familiar with the new ones and do some laps around da hood to see how they work and play with adjustments and get the phone deal setup if I can figure it out.

If you want to check them out in person let me know. I've got the PrimeX ones physically mounted on the truck and I have two 1080p models there and a 720P model as well so basically have the full array there to compare if you want.

#39,830 ·
Yeah I would love to see some video that you guys take. The biggest thing I like over them is not only the price being cheaper but it seems that the video is a lot more crisp in comparison.

Did you guys use the go pro before? And is there a place to purchase the prime x's here in town? Seems like no one has these, only go pro in Vegas.

#39,831 ·
I can't speak for Jason but I have zero experience with Go Pros.

Figspeed in Henderson I know for sure sells the full replay line and had a couple primeX models 2 or 3 weeks ago when I was last in there. I'll be stopping by there again on my lunch break or after work actually to pickup gear oil for the race truck today, I'll try to remember and look to see what they have.

My problem with all the cameras is my video editing/computer capabilities limit what I can edit and upload quality wise. The stuff Jason edits, he's able to upload a much better quality then I am. I can right now show you footage from a 1080P taken 3 weeks ago stuck to my helmet riding shotgun in the jeepspeed. If you watch it directly off the camera to my TV the footage/quality is excellent!!! (excluding my bobble head, talking the camera capability itself) WHat I get off my computer though typically sucks but that's not the camera's fault.

Heck, if you're bored and available one afternoon next week about 4ish let me know and if you're interested you can swing by and learn all about them right there with me first hand if you want when I'm testing the new ones next week. I want to get them adjusted on the truck as far as aim goes, play with settings, see if I can get my phone setup to control them (probably my hardest challenge), get the external mic working off our intercom system, etc. I don't have a set day that I'm doing this so if you wanted to check them out and see it all first hand let me know and I'll hold off and do it when you're available. If not interested, no biggie obviously... Just tossing out the option.

I guess since we're talking cameras... I'll make anyone here a smoking deal on a Replay 720P with all the cables and some accessories and possibly the monitor setup too. I haven't done the research yet to figure out a price yet though. Jason would have to confirm but from memory I'm 99.9999% sure this short in cab clip was shot with the 720p for an idea of quality.

#39,833 ·
I'll be swinging by Figspeed in about an hour so I'll take a look and see what they have on the shelf. And if you want to be around during my self taught PrimeX session either of those days work for me next week. Just let me know which you prefer and we'll do it. I'm kinda leaning towards Thursday myself. I'm usually home about 4ish in the afternoon.

#39,834 ·
Speaking of cameras does anyone on here have any experience with DSLR camreas? I'm looking to pick one up, possibly used and don't want to spend a lot. Probably under 500. 99% of the photos would be on cars and quad. Also looking at getting a fish eye lense because I just think pictures look cool with it.
So if anyone has a suggestion let me know

#39,835 ·
Any low end Nikòn or Çanon DSLR will work nicely. You can keep it cheaper by going with one model back like the Nikon 3200. Not sure what the Çanon equivalent is as I use Nikon these days. Check out the Samyang Fisheye lens. Pretty cheap with manual focus. At such wide angles manual focus is not a big deal because how much depth of field you get. Mirror less cameras can be had for decent prices as well. Their sensors are usually smaller which has some effect on image quality and effective focal lengths but they come in a smaller package so they have their advantages. I had a Sony Nex for a while, great little camera but I sold it because I wasn't using it much.

Nikon two lens bundle: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6TC6XG/ref=twister_B00PHRVHZS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Fisheye: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I6TC6XG/ref=twister_B00PHRVHZS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Check out the deals page on eBay, there's always good prices there. I saw the above Nikon with the standard 18-55 lens only for $389.

#39,837 ·
I'm guessing anyone who races has probably seen this on our Facebook already but just in case...here is a cool little interview we did with our friends at Wild-Fields Sports Photography based in Switzerland. Pretty cool story actually, it's a long haul from Geneva to Las Vegas and this year our buddy Gilles will be shooting the Mint, NASCAR, and Monster Jam. Last year he did the Mint, Monster Jam, and Pikes Peak and had some awesome stuff. He does a lot of really cool equestrian stuff too if you're in to that.

Anyway, you can check out his webpage and Facebook...they'll be doing a lot of photo work for us this year so we're excited to have some cool shots to capture some of the action this year.

http://wild-fields.com/2015/02/27/t...int-400-presented-by-general-tire-tpf-racing/

See you guys in a few weeks!

#39,838 ·
So... I asked Figspeed what they had in stock for PrimeX cameras yesterday and he laughs and asks if something is going on that they don't know about. They've got a few on order right now and he said I was literally the 4th person that walked in specifically asking about them yesterday. He even pointed to two post it notes he had on his desk with names and numbers to call when they got the camera's in. Looks like the demand for them is pretty good. He showed me some dash cam footage he had from his personal PrimeX camera at an intersection here in town of a yukon rear ending a Vette. LOL Great video! Oh and the quality was excellent as well! LOL

Anyways, Figspeed typically has them but right now is out of stock but has them on reorder but also already has a waiting list forming for when they get more in from the sounds of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.