Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 198 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #2956
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I'm an early riser. I'm usually awake at 5:30 every morning so I'm down anytime early.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 03:20 PM   #2957
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Crazy!! It will depend on when I get off work on Friday night, but I think early would be best too, to get back before traffic gets too bad
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #2958
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Power sent me a pm on this, but thought that I would reply here, as I'm sure you're all interested. The question was whether one could legally strip the truck without worrying about the fuzz. Interesting question, but before I give a short answer, just remember that I'm not your attorney on this, nothing about this post is intended to create an attorney client relationship with any reader, and this is not a formal legal opinion, just some off-the-cuff ramblings of a guy who happens to be an attorney, so take it for what it's worth.

First, I'm impressed that Nevada has a pretty tough law for these types of things. If you dump your vehicle in the desert and don't remove it, they suspend the registration on every vehicle you own until your junker is removed. If it's stolen and then dumped, you don't have to go get it, but only if you reported it stolen before someone reports the dump to the police and you give up title to the state when you do that. I suspect that metro has given the required notices, so the vehicle is legally the property of the state, and arguably metro has a duty to go get it and then sell it for what they can get for it, but it sounds like they have no interest in doing that.

As a result, you likely ok to go get it. I say that not because there's any law on the books that says you have a right to pick up anything you find in the desert and take it home, because that is not the case, but because most people will view a partial removal as better than leaving the whole thing up there. Plus, I expect metro and federal land managers will not complain too much.

However, you should be careful not to spill and oil or other liquids in your removal, as you could be held civilly or criminally liable for any environmental contamination you cause while doing this. Plus, leaving a pool of oil is bad form.
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #2959
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I suppose the only other sensible thing to do and fun would be to pack some explosives under it and send it over the end!
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #2960
davidsonlaw
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I suppose the only other sensible thing to do and fun would be to pack some explosives under it and send it over the end!
Just be sure to videotape it and post it on YouTube. BLM won't do anything to you.
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #2961
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You laugh, but I know I guy that could do it!! I'm curious still if it could be winched, then it would be easier/cleaner to remove stuff. If you guys have some empty jugs and catch pans, we should probably try to catch an remove as much of the fluids as possible. That way it can better be described as a cleanup rather than a looting. Plus if we can get it to where it can be towed out, then it would definitely be a cleanup!
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #2962
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
You laugh, but I know I guy that could do it!! I'm curious still if it could be winched, then it would be easier/cleaner to remove stuff. If you guys have some empty jugs and catch pans, we should probably try to catch an remove as much of the fluids as possible. That way it can better be described as a cleanup rather than a looting. Plus if we can get it to where it can be towed out, then it would definitely be a cleanup!
Just link your Jeeps together and I think with the snatch block you stand a good chance.
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #2963
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I was thinking. Depending on how far down the hill it is too. I've got enough cable, strap, and chain to really put a pull on it. Could be a good exercise for if I ever really need to get unstuck!
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #2964
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsonlaw

Just be sure to videotape it and post it on YouTube. BLM won't do anything to you.
I rarely lol.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #2965
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If you can get a sawzall out there you can start to remove the front end to get at the good stuff. Maybe even cut the motor mounts and get a good shot at removing the block.
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:07 PM   #2966
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Forgot that it's NYE this Sat. Been here 5 years and still haven't seen a fireworks show.
YouStupidBunny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #2967
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

That's the second vehicle I've reported out in the mountains. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...esert-1259383/

The officer at the first instance said that if recovery is too dangerous, they leave it. If they haven't recovered it by now, I doubt they ever will.

This should qualify as abandoned, right?
img_5761.jpg  
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #2968
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouStupidBunny View Post
How was yours geared? I have 3.73's now and I can easily get over 80 and maintain it, but it has a tough time up steep grades. I plan on regearing to 4.56's soon and it should run around 3400 RPM's at 70MPH. Right now, 3400 RPM's has me holding 85 MPH and the motor seems fine with it.
i had 4.10's, it was a stick shift.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #2969
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

I ordered my brand new Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks today! When I order from 4WheelParts, I can usually pick up my order at the Decatur location the next day, but their CA distributor was out and it has to come from the east coast. It'll be three days. I hate waiting, but at least I'll have some time to break them in on the street before getting them offroad.

About installing the shocks, do the cans go up and the pistons face down or is it the other way?

Same way for the front and rear?
Unread 12-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #2970
YouStupidBunny
2007 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
i had 4.10's, it was a stick shift.
4.10's would be great with my 3 speed, but when it comes time to regear, I think I'll just go to 4.56's. 70MPH would be right around 3400 RPM's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.