Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#38,801 ·
That's the funny part, I added an old gmail account that I have but haven't used in like 10 years. So it automatically populates my contacts with all these people who more then half of them, I don't even remember who they are! LOL That was the first annoyance right off the bat but got that option turned off already.

2nd, I don't even want/need email access to my phone. I've never in my entire life had an email that was so important I couldn't check it whenever I got around to it. I think that's the difference, everyone feels this need for instant access and to be instantly connected where I actually am the opposite of that. I don't want emails in my pocket. I don't want to see peoples facebook crap in my pocket because to be downright honest, I really don't care about that stuff. I'm on here killing time at work and sometimes around the house. When I'm out and about, I'm not killing time... LOL

Those of you that are on my facebook friends list I'm sure will vouche for me, I post something on my facebook about 4 times a year if that. It's just not the lifestyle I have.

I'm waiting for this amazing I can't live without it thing to start working. So far, texting is harder... That's the biggest difference I've seen. LOL

HTC something or other. No clue what model it is honestly, it was like $600. I'll be the first to admit it 6 months from now when I think this thing is cool and actually adds something to my day to day. So far, it's a novelty item at best.

#38,802 ·
Why do you hate it it's just a phone? How much did it cost? I have a 2 year old iphone4 with a busted *** front screen that had been out for several years already when I got it....I got it because it was the cheapest and simplest to use.

I use it for music GPS camera and internet (other than calls and texts obviously).

I don use an apps or anything really.

#38,803 ·
sirhk100 said:
That's the funny part, I added an old gmail account that I have but haven't used in like 10 years. So it automatically populates my contacts with all these people who more then half of them, I don't even remember who they are! LOL That was the first annoyance right off the bat but got that option turned off already. 2nd, I don't even want/need email access to my phone. I've never in my entire life had an email that was so important I couldn't check it whenever I got around to it. I think that's the difference, everyone feels this need for instant access and to be instantly connected where I actually am the opposite of that. I don't want emails in my pocket. I don't want to see peoples facebook crap in my pocket because to be downright honest, I really don't care about that stuff. I'm on here killing time at work and sometimes around the house. When I'm out and about, I'm not killing time... LOL Those of you that are on my facebook friends list I'm sure will vouche for me, I post something on my facebook about 4 times a year if that. It's just not the lifestyle I have. I'm waiting for this amazing I can't live without it thing to start working. So far, texting is harder... That's the biggest difference I've seen. LOL HTC something or other. No clue what model it is honestly, it was like $600.
If you will read my post carefully you will see I said NOTHING about actual email on your phone, just using an email account to manage your contacts because it's a whole lot easier to type on a computer keyboard than a phone keyboard. I don't get email on my phone either. 97% of the use my phone sees is texting, the other 3% is phone calls, gps/directions and occasionally the internet to look something up (location, hours, etc.) I probably use my phone more like you do.
You will probably see that I recommended a completely new/separate email account to avoid the very thing that annoyed you.

HTC says it's most likely an android platform, there are a few apps I would recommend: WeatherBug (good for weather conditions for wheeling/hiking) and Gas Buddy (gas info: prices, brands, distance from you, etc). Not like you HAVE to have that stuff, but it's handy

#38,804 ·
Why do you hate it it's just a phone? How much did it cost? I have a 2 year old iphone4 with a busted *** front screen that had been out for several years already when I got it....I got it because it was the cheapest and simplest to use.

I use it for music GPS camera and internet (other than calls and texts obviously).

I don use an apps or anything really.
$600, no contract... I bought a mp3 player with a camera that calls and texts. Basically not much different then what I had but the camera lens isn't trashed on this one from years of abuse yet.

First thing I can't stand, autocorrect on texting. Let me decide what I'm saying... LOL

Keyboard isn't user friendly without actual keys.

Contacts list got raped by my 10+ year old stagnent gmail account.

Already instantly realizing these smart phones seem to be more for a teenager that cares about social media and staying connected all the time. Everyone tells me I need one, I buy one and I'm just not seeing it so far. But hey, it was only $600 at least. I tried to buy the S4 mini, only At&T has it supposedly, didn't want to pay their prices. Regular S4, not in stock, well crap, my phone kinda died right now... S5, same price as this one, 18 y/o techy dork says this one is better for music sound quality which is the one big thing I wanted it for at the same price so I go with this one. $712 later I'm out the door owning this awesome phone with a cool case that maybe I won't destroy and well, 36 hours later... I'm having a hard time seeing it's value so far.

Everyone on here has told me how much I'm missing in life not having one, so I have one... Explain to me what I'm missing now. Let's see it first hand. LOL, last night I was shown ebay and amazon apps, oh yeah, as if I don't have enough of a spending issue. LOL I'm not interested in facebook/email. I listen to talk radio for my news. GPS will be cool I guess when I'm in the mustang, my other vehicles have it.

I'm not talking crap on anyone here or your phones, I'm simply saying after years of hazing for my flip phone that I thought did everything I needed yet was always told I don't know what I'm missing... I'm here... Show me what I'm missing. The two people that helped me so far didn't exactly blow my mind.

If you will read my post carefully you will see I said NOTHING about actual email on your phone, just using an email account to manage your contacts because it's a whole lot easier to type on a computer keyboard than a phone keyboard. I don't get email on my phone either. 97% of the use my phone sees is texting, the other 3% is phone calls, gps/directions and occasionally the internet to look something up (location, hours, etc.) I probably use my phone more like you do.
You will probably see that I recommended a completely new/separate email account to avoid the very thing that annoyed you.

HTC says it's most likely an android platform, there are a few apps I would recommend: WeatherBug (good for weather conditions for wheeling/hiking) and Gas Buddy (gas info: prices, brands, distance from you, etc). Not like you HAVE to have that stuff, but it's handy
Yes, android platform. I wonder how much of a pain it will be to go back and unlink my current email that I connected it to. I'll have to look into that cause that started me off right off the bat. I filled in all my contacts which are just names and numbers. Then it asked for a gmail account so I entered that and instantly I'm looking at my contacts list going who the hell are all these people??? LOL

And yes, you're using yours EXACTLY how I forsee using mine. I'm already thinking the price doesn't justify it though. went from $35 a month to $70 a month and bought a $600 toy + tax + a case to hopefully survive my garage. LOL

I'll check out the weather and gas deals...

#38,806 ·
You can unassociate your email account from the phone, it's not too tough. I would recommend setting up your dedicated contact email account before you add it and storing all contacts that way instead of storing directly on the phone. Yeah, I have an $800 phone I only paid $12 for. I wanted the S4 mini as well because of its smaller size but it wasn't available when I was changing out phones. Sound quality mine is the best on the market: I have a HTC One Harmon Kardon edition.. And I could care less. For music I use my "mp3 player" an iPod touch that hasn't seen any iTunes music in its entire life. In fact, I use my phone so little, I only have to charge my phone every 3-5 days.

Not that it can't be done on an android, but if your biggest selling point was music storage/playback, an iOS device would have perhaps been a better choice simply because it is smaller and you can get loads of music on it easily (without all that cloud crap or iTunes)

Anyway, if you still need help by the time I bust out of this place, I will be happy to give you a hand setting yours up for ease of use.

#38,807 ·
maybe there is some validity to the HOA *****ing about my jeep.

I got home early today and the UPS man was pulling up as i got out of the ranger. I walked over to get what he was delivering (nova fans) and he says to me "when are you gonna get that old beast running?"

i was like, "huh? which one? the jeep?"

"Yeah, the jeep"

i was all "I drive it around every damn weekend!"

He says "huh, its always in that same exact spot every time i pull up........."

I dont think he believed me. Does my **** really look all broke down?

#38,810 ·
Looks like some nice goodies in the works there Marn!

Bonez, lol, I don't even know what an IOS device is... I'm very very very behind the times. Like I said, only reason I even have this personal computer is cause when my aunt passed away a few years back my cousin didn't need like a 10th computer so he gave me hers. If it wasn't for a free computer, I'd likely have no internet or connection what so ever outside of work.

My mp3 player is a '04 model creative zen. Love it, for years now you can shake it and stuff rattles around inside yet it still works. Just lately the battery has taken a sharp down turn. maybe 3-4 hours out of it rather then 12+ like it used to get.

I charged my phone sat night. Haven't charged it since, it's gone down one click from full battery. I'm betting I get 5-6 days out of the battery with the usage I have. Oh but guess what guys!!!! I checked to see what time adventuredome closes on friday night while having dinner at Panera earlier! There is the fact though that the chick I was with would've checked on hers had I not had the phone... LOL and the only reason I checked is cause she wanted to see me actually use it! LOL

#38,816 ·
But I don't always want to delete everything right away, sometimes I keep them for a little bit for reference till things are over and projects behind the scene that I'm involved with are past... LOL It's a smart phone, it should just know this!!!! LOL

For instance, right now I've got some messages saved regarding a prerunner build up and a potential stereo hookup...

#38,817 ·
Looks like some nice goodies in the works there Marn!
missed that.

Yeah I guess, we'll see. I suppose i should figure out what wires connect where and all that jazz.

new t-stat housing (and t-stat) with a bung in it so i can install an outgoing temp probe, an adjustable temp fan control unit, and the fans themselves.

Hoping that fan shroud matches up to the radiator we have, it should based on my best measurements but who knows. I have no idea on the brand of the radiator. ITs just massive to the point where it makes it so we cant fit a full size battery in the car....hmm.

#38,818 ·
You know something funny... The mustang... It's got a big aluminum radiator in it. That car ran around here as a daily driver for 2 years straight without a fan of any sort on it. It never overheated even sitting at a stop light in the summer with no fan at all. The radiator in that car works that well!!! There's a fan on it now but we used to always laugh at that....

#38,819 ·
Yeah. Something tells me this will not solve any of the issues we are having, because this radiator is MASSIVE. Its literally the largest thing they could fit in the car. I mean the engine is all hopped up (bored, stroked, vette heads, blah blah blah)

Regardless of this fixing the problem of the car shutting off, the car DOES gain temperature when sitting still or moving slow. That in and of itself is an issue. Car still may shut off when it hits 200, but the temp gauge shouldn't start climbing and keep climbing when we are sitting still or moving slow. hopefully this will help that.

either way, not my money (we aint married yet! lol).

#38,820 ·
I really think there's an electrical issue somewhere in the ignition system. It sounds like you're losing spark at whatever temp this is happening. Maybe coil or does it have a ballast resistor? Are there any thermal overload devices on the coil? Low 200's isn't enough to shut the motor off from overheating for sure. Is the distributor good? Maybe something with the rotor? Dunno, just tossing ideas in from the outfield...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.