Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

2M views 42K replies 144 participants last post by  terrasmak 
#1 ·
I figured since the other thread started out as talking about making a club, and what clubs are available, we should have a thread that's just dedicated to setting up trail runs.

The title says it all, and it'll be less cluttered.

So, the 9/18/10 Run to Potato Ridge was a success!

Next item on the schedule is Logandale on 10/23/10 according to McRoberts. Seems like we have a few interested parties! Who all is planning to attend?

If there is anything in the meantime, or someone local wants another rig to ride with them, just post up and see if anyone is available!

#36,424 ·
A few months back I picked up some WW2 side opening .50 cal ammo cans. There is a bit of surface rust in some areas of them but they are overall in good shape. The other day I took a wire wheel to one of them to get rid of the surface rust before touching up with paint and I realized how thick the paint is on these things and how slow the wire wheel is. Now I am getting ideas in my head of stripping all of the paint off and putting on a nice rattle can primer/paint job so the stamped military lettering/cartridge outlines etc. stand out more. Does anyone have any advice for the fastest way to strip all the paint off? Unfortunately media blasting is out because I don't own one and I am not gonna spend money to pay to have them done.

#36,425 ·
A few months back I picked up some WW2 side opening .50 cal ammo cans. There is a bit of surface rust in some areas of them but they are overall in good shape. The other day I took a wire wheel to one of them to get rid of the surface rust before touching up with paint and I realized how thick the paint is on these things and how slow the wire wheel is. Now I am getting ideas in my head of stripping all of the paint off and putting on a nice rattle can primer/paint job so the stamped military lettering/cartridge outlines etc. stand out more. Does anyone have any advice for the fastest way to strip all the paint off? Unfortunately media blasting is out because I don't own one and I am not gonna spend money to pay to have them done.
Chemical striping them?

#36,427 ·
Puck81 said:
Chemical striping them?
I have no experience with this, how long does it take? I spend some time internetting chemical stripping and found answers ranging from minutes to 6 hours.

MMCKEIG said:
Gasoline and fire, it will probably peel right off. Also, good for the environment! Haha
You actually made me pause and wonder if that would work! After taking care of my weeds using a flame thrower (granted it only shoots a flame a few feet or so) a few weeks ago I wonder what my neighbors would say to me torching some ammo cans.

#36,428 ·
I have no experience with this, how long does it take? I spend some time internetting chemical stripping and found answers ranging from minutes to 6 hours.

You actually made me pause and wonder if that would work! After taking care of my weeds using a flame thrower (granted it only shoots a flame a few feet or so) a few weeks ago I wonder what my neighbors would say to me torching some ammo cans.
It varies in time depending on paint type, thickness, and type of chemical used. I have used citri strip for stain and varnish that was like 40 years old. Took it right off with little effort. I have also used rattle can stripper with good results on auto parts and other paint. Just do it in a ventilated area and wear heavy rubber gloves and eye protection.

#36,429 ·
Adam's Driveline said my driveline angles were 'atrocious'

:pout:

Lol. They suggested doing an adapter on the yoke of the T-case and doing a CV joint. Said it should make a big difference in the angles and help out. I think i'll be having them take care of it next week.

#36,430 ·
After taking care of my weeds using a flame thrower (granted it only shoots a flame a few feet or so) a few weeks ago I wonder what my neighbors would say to me torching some ammo cans.
I burn mine also but usually do it really early on weekend mornings before most people are up so hopefully nobody really notices! LOL

#36,431 ·
Bonez, look into a "knot cup brush." It's like a wire wheel, but absolutely chews through paint. The fire idea will destroy the seals on the lids. Chems may as well.

#36,432 ·
Bonez, look into a "knot cup brush." It's like a wire wheel, but absolutely chews through paint. The fire idea will destroy the seals on the lids. Chems may as well.
I tried that with my jeep, worked good. But if you want something that works GREAT go to HF and pick up a paint stripping 4 1/2" disk for a angle grinder its black honeycomb looking thing and it kills paint or a flap disk but that eats metal to fast.

#36,435 ·
Thanks for the paint removal tips guys!

Marn, save some money and install the SYE and CV yourself, it's really simple and you can use the money you save to order better quality parts.
It's not an SYE to my understanding as the D20 is a fixed yoke. They need to somehow adapt that to a work with a CV joint before the drieshaft....and the drive-shaft needs to be made to fit behind a CV joint as well

I don't really know anything about how to make any of that work.

#36,437 ·
Ahh ok, that changes things a bit. Good thing you have access to that internet thingy, you might find another FSJ owner that has done it. In fact, you might find a whole FORUM of FSJ owners that might be able to help.
apparently i'm the only one who has any issues what so ever with this swap. go figure :(

#36,439 ·
You can't chemically strip ammo cans in a traditional sense. They are zinc coated which requires either changing the chemical property of the metal (oxidize the metal) or electrically charge the zinc coating so that it will stay dissolved or crystallize when stripping chemicals are introduced. Gasoline and fire won't work for the same reason. In order for the fire to be hot enough to remove the coating, it would destroy the can. The only real options are sanding or media blasting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.