Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1778 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Unread 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #26656
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Meh, tired.

Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #26657
sirhk100

http://www.facebook.com/video/embed?...=3057042242111

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #26658
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Khris, i have a suspension question.

I'm looking at new shocks for the back of my truck, as they are obviously needed.

I'm actually looking at Monroe load adjusting shocks, seeing as i regularly tow (and when i hit a bump my tires rub) or at the minimum put several hundred pounds of crap in the back for long trips. I figure adding a bit of capacity to the spring rate wont hurt.

Anyway. Onto the question

Should a normal use light truck (so, lots of road, some offroad, some towing/loaded down) have the shock sitting in the "middle" of it's travel when it's at rest? Basically asking when the truck is sitting there or driving level or whatever, should it have equal up and down travel range in the shock? Or should it have more upward ability or more downard ability?

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #26659
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

as it sits, unladen on level ground my truck has 16" between the shock studs.

If i get a shock with a collapsed length of 12", and a maximum length of 20", that means I have 8" of travel in there. (The factory specified shocks had about 7"-7.5" of travel). That also means that at 16", my truck will be sitting right in the middle. it has 4" up and 4" down to move. (I understand that being inboarded that 4" axle travel does not equal 4" shock travel, i'm not asking about or worried about that).

I'm asking if its supposed to "rest" in the middle of the travel range. Or if i should get a shock that is like 11.5" to 19", so it would only have 3" up and would have 4.5" down. Or go the other way and give it less droop but more upward travel.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #26660
sirhk100

So many variables to that imo... Kinda depends where your springs are at and what they're capable of. For the most part for a general run of the mill ride, centered is good though. Not talking high end crawler, a trophy truck or a ferrari here so yes, something centered would be good. But if your truck is sitting only 3" from the bumpstops but allows for 6" of droop for 9" of total travel, you don't want your shocks sitting centered cause then you'd be loosing out on 3" of droop. Now granted, you're not going to use that in typical day to day driving. Best bet would be to jack the rear of the truck up so that the axle is fully drooped out and see what it's capable of. From there without actually cycling it like you should, you can do some generic measurements and come pretty close to what you'd want. At full droop, measure the distance between the bumpstops. Then measure how far the axle can go up till it hit's the bumpstop (which you don't have if i remember right...). At that point I'd take a plumb bob and hang it vertical over your shock mount the same distance up from where it should be if it was bottomed. Then measure from that spot in space to your other mount. That will tell you roughly your extended and collapsed shocks length.

On the street and for general driving you want at least 3" of bump travel from ride height, 4-5" is even better. 3" depending on weight and stuff you may feel it bottom out thru hard dips and bouncing off the backside of a speed bump. Most people aren't using much more then that around town though.

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #26661
sirhk100

The shock in theory shouldn't be your up travel limitation. There should be a mechanical stop like a bumpstop or something physically there to stop the bump travel. Your shock bolts/mounts don't want to stop the entire momentum of your vehicle crushing down on them.

As far as droop, some systems use the shock as the stop, some have other systems. Yours... probably used the shock as the limiter. Personally, I'd put a bumpstop in there, get a shock that's just a tad bit longer then that and then something that's long enough to let it droop out how ever far you want to let it go. The springs naturally will only droop so far on their own so if the shock is longer then that, it's pointless.

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #26662
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Gotcha, thanks.

A few things, i DO have bumpstops, but they were for a truck that sat 4" lower from the factory. Want to fab me some extensions? haha.

But seriously, with the travel limitations of shocks in the size I want, there arent a whole lot of options. Because of my shock mounts, I NEED something that is right around 12.5" or less when collapsed in order to allow for anything more than 1" of upward travel.... Thats a fairly short shock from what I've seen. And from my basic understanding, the shorter the shock body the less travel it can have in general(obviously if the body is only 10" long it cannot travel 15").

All of the shocks I've seen around this range only have around 8-9" of total travel. So, given a fairly limited amount of travel, it seems like i'd want to have the maximum amount of upward and downard travel...which would be the middle.

I'll take a look at my droop and see how far I can jack my wheel up into the truck without hitting sheet metal (the new wheels allow the tires to actually tuck!). I wont have it down to 1 spring like you did, but we'll see.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #26663
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Here's what I'm looking at, these are the 12.5" to 20.3" range ones that will work.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58567-S...productDetails

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #26664
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Anybody else have issues with this site yesterday? When I would try to bring up the site I got that it was "unavailable." I tried with both my home computer, my phone, and my tablet. Couldn't access it at all.
I did couldn't get on with phone or tablet. It just said loading for a couple of minutes then said server unavailable. They must of had server problems or maitenance on there servers. Unno
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #26665
sirhk100

Pretty much, you need to measure a couple things. From where it sits on the ground measure how long the shock is and how much up travel you have from there. Then do the same two measurements at droop. If you're ambitious, pull the shocks and see if that gives you any more droop, if it does, get that measurement. Then I'd use a plumb bob and figure out where in space the lower shock mount would be bottomed out. Bottomed out being what you want to make it, axle to bumpstop, tires hitting the fenders, etc... Then measure your shock length from that.

That's going to tell you everything you need to know and then you can start searching for the shock that's going to give you the best lengths to work around your needs.

Like I told Merrick the other day, I'm getting pretty burned out these days on fab work. I haven't had a break since memorial day of last year between my projects and other people's. I want to finish up the open ended offers I currently have on the table for puck's bumper, steve's bumper, adam's towbar, merrick's trailer and then I'm closing up shop for a while I think. Just that list alone, I don't think anyone can say I don't help others considering virtually every spare minute I'm not helping others I'm working on my own in between. There's definitely a reason my explorer isn't done yet. LOL I don't say no ever but I'm shutting it off at this point now for awhile. I mean if someone needs to get to work on monday and I can weld up somethign real quick I will but I'm kinda over fabbing full random stuff for others for the time being.

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #26666
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Pretty much, you need to measure a couple things. From where it sits on the ground measure how long the shock is and how much up travel you have from there. Then do the same two measurements at droop. If you're ambitious, pull the shocks and see if that gives you any more droop, if it does, get that measurement. Then I'd use a plumb bob and figure out where in space the lower shock mount would be bottomed out. Bottomed out being what you want to make it, axle to bumpstop, tires hitting the fenders, etc... Then measure your shock length from that.

That's going to tell you everything you need to know and then you can start searching for the shock that's going to give you the best lengths to work around your needs.

Like I told Merrick the other day, I'm getting pretty burned out these days on fab work. I haven't had a break since memorial day of last year between my projects and other people's. I want to finish up the open ended offers I currently have on the table for puck's bumper, steve's bumper, adam's towbar, merrick's trailer and then I'm closing up shop for a while I think. Just that list alone, I don't think anyone can say I don't help others considering virtually every spare minute I'm not helping others I'm working on my own in between. There's definitely a reason my explorer isn't done yet. LOL I don't say no ever but I'm shutting it off at this point now for awhile. I mean if someone needs to get to work on monday and I can weld up somethign real quick I will but I'm kinda over fabbing full random stuff for others for the time being.
got it.

Also, I dont really need you to fab anything, though I guess I was about 1/2 serious haha

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #26667
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
A few things, i DO have bumpstops, but they were for a truck that sat 4" lower from the factory. Want to fab me some extensions? haha.
LOL, if I say sure, cruise over, you know you'll be there! I just want to get my own crap finished for once! I'm already WAY behind where I want to be with expo. The list I have above is a full weekend's worth if not more that will set me back more but I already committed to it and I'm not one to flake. I might lag but I won't totally flake. LOL

What do you have in there right now though? According to UPS I should have these on my step today. Would something like this work and simply bolt in?

http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/polyure...12long212.aspx

I have those on the rear of the race truck too.

Unread 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #26668
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Some serious stuff going down in the world these days!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22542222
I say let them take each other out because everyone knows Star Trek is better.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #26669
sirhk100

Still hands down the best geek skit of all time!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zWNJHS9PBE

Hey, UPS just emailed me, my bumpstops are here! Slap those on, do a once over on the suspension nuts and bolts since I've got probably 400+ street miles on it and maybe go hit some dirt to see what falls off first.

Unread 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #26670
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
LOL, if I say sure, cruise over, you know you'll be there! I just want to get my own crap finished for once! I'm already WAY behind where I want to be with expo. The list I have above is a full weekend's worth if not more that will set me back more but I already committed to it and I'm not one to flake. I might lag but I won't totally flake. LOL

What do you have in there right now though? According to UPS I should have these on my step today. Would something like this work and simply bolt in?

http://store.sdhqoffroad.com/polyure...12long212.aspx

I have those on the rear of the race truck too.

something like that would be good and work just fine.

I have like a 1" high one right now that just bolts to the frame. it looks kind of like a transmission mount.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.