Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1774 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

ECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #26596
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Puck, was your Jeep from up north or something. You know that it is not that old right?

I was driving around yesterday with the windows down and I was fine. I had to put them up once I got the kids though.
It was from Ohio, and was there the first 5 years before it came to Vegas. Some of the bolts have a lot of rust, so i am trying to make sure i do what i can to prep this prick for install.

Puck81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #26597
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

Sounds quite a bit overkill to me. My Jeep came from an island in SC, I hit the main bolts ONCE with some blaster and they all came off without a problem as Khris can attest to.

Id hate to see the huge orange oil stain you are leaving in your driveway or curbside in the street.
I hear too many horror stories about the rearr spring nuts and bolts. So i am trying to be prepaired.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #26598
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
So what does everyone have planned for this weekend?
Friday night drinking

Sat, finish rock sliders on expo, cut u-bolts like I've said for the 50th day in a row. LOL Swap axle seals up front so I can get my axle measurements that I need.

Sunday morning start stripping down whitey.

Sunday afternoon I think I'm doing a bumper on a ZJ.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #26599
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
I hear too many horror stories about the rearr spring nuts and bolts. So i am trying to be prepaired.
idk, still seems like mega overkill and waste of time and money imho.

My Jeep lived the beach life for a majority of its years (8+) followed by time in the snow and on salty roads for 3+ years. It has been in Vegas for less than 2 years total.

Use impacts and that stuff will break free like a champ. The PB blaster can only penetrate so much, after awhile you're just spraying it to spray it, without any added benefit, and that was probably at least a can ago! haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #26600
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Puck, you know that more is not necessarily better?

Whenever I'm prepping for a job (ex: upper shock bolts on my rusty NH TJ, or the ball joints and u joints that were 40 years old on my new axle) I just wet each bolt like twice a day for a week or two.

You don't have to hose it down. Lol, if it drips off of the bolt onto the ground or sprays onto the frame (well, not in your case) or anywhere other than the actual bolt, guess what, it's not penetrating.

Just geive each bolt a single squirt of PB blaster and let the blaster work its way in. do it in the morning then in the evening. tap on the bolts with a hammer or a wrench to help it penetrate and soak into the threads.

No reason to dump 35 bucks worth of blaster on the thing when half of a can will suffice.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #26601
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

idk, still seems like mega overkill and waste of time and money imho.

My Jeep lived the beach life for a majority of its years (8+) followed by time in the snow and on salty roads for 3+ years. It has been in Vegas for less than 2 years total.

Use impacts and that stuff will break free like a champ. The PB blaster can only penetrate so much, after awhile you're just spraying it to spray it, without any added benefit, and that was probably at least a can ago! haha
I am doing it at a buddies house, and no air tools. So every thing is hand tools.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #26602
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am doing it at a buddies house, and no air tools. So every thing is hand tools.
Hand tools will break them free too, just put that plumber *** into it! haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #26603
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

speaking of rusty vehicles, Here's my brake line distribution block from like last year. (as i posted earlier)

I figured that was going to be a ***** to get the lines out of, so sunday night and monday morning and monday evening I hit it with a FEW SQUIRTS of blaster.

Then after it sat, i grabbed a toothbrush and some brake cleaner.

Oh man, a 40 year old truck and not a spec of corrosion on those brake fittings.

That all came off with little to no effort. The flare nuts all busted loose and i could thread them in and out with my fingers.

I'm definitely not upset about having a mostly desert truck. Why the hell do i have holes through my body though?

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #26604
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
my compressor is pretty dang portable....I'll rent it to you! haha.

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #26605
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good point guys.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:51 PM   #26606
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Also, i think i have holes in the body of my truck because the engine hasnt been spraying oil and other fluids all over that part of the truck for 40 years. I suppose it makes sense that nothing rots or gets corroded when it's been covered in oil from the day it came from the factory, haha

Quote:
- Jerry Reed

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #26607
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post

Friday night drinking

Sat, finish rock sliders on expo, cut u-bolts like I've said for the 50th day in a row. LOL Swap axle seals up front so I can get my axle measurements that I need.

Sunday morning start stripping down whitey.

Sunday afternoon I think I'm doing a bumper on a ZJ.
No worries Khris ill be there on sunday with beverages and food and custom fabbing to be done lol
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #26608
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post

They bought a travel trailer to piss off their HOA? All I do is jack up the Jeep and open the garage door. I get letters for weeks saying I am being fined.
Hold on you get fined for working on your jeep!? Wtf throw a glass pack on it and see what the hoa says about that. People need to stop worrying about other peoples yards. Only reason the city does anything is because they will get money for it.
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #26609
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
A real friend would have air tools
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #26610
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Pop mechanics did an article on penetrating oils and which was best. The only ones I remember were pb blaster, wd40, and home made 20%acetone 80% trans fluid. The pb out preformed wd40 but the home made stuff worked significantly better then either of the canned stuff. They tested it on corroded nuts and bolts of the same strength and size. Not only did it work better but faster.
Another tip is using diesel. And it is cheaper by the gallon and shouldn't be flammable.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.