Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1765 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #26461
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

you are going to have to upgrade your proportioning valve and possibly your master cylinder. The pistons are much larger on disc brakes and require more volume of fluid. Bleeding it more might get some of the bubbles out, but it will still suck.

Unread 05-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #26462
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
you are going to have to upgrade your proportioning valve and possibly your master cylinder. The pistons are much larger on disc brakes and require more volume of fluid. Bleeding it more might get some of the bubbles out, but it will still suck.
Wouldnt getting the newer master out of the year wagoneer the axles came from work?
Raptor0206 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #26463
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206

Wouldnt getting the newer master out of the year wagoneer the axles came from work?
It probably would.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #26464
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

dont know if any of that would bolt up.

Also, forgive my ignorance as I don't really know too too much about brakes, but it shouldnt matter how much volume the calipers need because once they are bled, they are full of fluid, and the pedal should be firm. Once all the air is out and everything is full of fluid, as soon as I touch the pedal it should be under pressure.

my master cylinder may not be able to push as much in one stroke or whatever, but that shouldnt change the fact that everything should be firm because the system is full of fluid.

Does that make sense?

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #26465
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

Also, forgive my ignorance as I don't really know too too much about brakes, but it shouldnt matter how much volume the calipers need because once they are bled, they are full of fluid, and the pedal should be firm. Once all the air is out and everything is full of fluid, as soon as I touch the pedal it should be under pressure.

my master cylinder may not be able to push as much in one stroke or whatever, but that shouldnt change the fact that everything should be firm because the system is full of fluid.

Does that make sense?
Most masters are the same mounting pattern you just have to make sure the stroke is the same. It should be the same but will move more fluid to the front side.
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #26466
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor0206 View Post
Most masters are the same mounting pattern you just have to make sure the stroke is the same. It should be the same but will move more fluid to the front side.
other issue is that the lines come out the opposite side on the newer master cylinders. I'd need new brake lines down to the proportioning valve (i dont even think mine is a proportioning valve, I think its just more of a block that diverts the fluid) and have no idea how to do that.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #26467
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus

Does that make sense?
It is not the amount of pressure it is under that is the problem. It is a problem of volume. On drums the piston is smaller so it doesn't take as much pedal movement for the pads to be in contact with the drum. If it takes double the amount of fluid, it takes double the amount of pedal movement before the pads touch the disk and you start getting pedal pressure.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #26468
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

gotcha.

Well I will ask the FSJ guys if this should work as is, or if I need to convert something else.

I may have to learn how to make brake lines, huh?

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #26469
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

might as well just go hydroboost

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #26470
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
gotcha.

Well I will ask the FSJ guys if this should work as is, or if I need to convert something else.

I may have to learn how to make brake lines, huh?
Its easy and a nice skill to have
Unread 05-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #26471
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Well maybe somebody can mentor me if it comes down to needing it. :-)

Unread 05-12-2013, 03:48 PM   #26472
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It is a nice skill to have for sure. I know I hace no idea as to how to do it myself. But thats the thing about brake lines, I think I only know of one person who knows how to make them.
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #26473
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Well maybe somebody can mentor me if it comes down to needing it. :-)
youtube buddy
Unread 05-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #26474
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Needs some work but so much want!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3799540751.html

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #26475
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

See now that I really think about it... most of the time that you hear about people just needing to upgrade their proportioning valve is when they upgrade the rear brakes to disc from drum.

I guess what I should really be asking is what do you have on the back? If you have disc front/drum rear you will need a new valve for sure on top of the new master cylinder.

check out this thread that I found googling. It looks like you are not the first guy to go down this road. http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums//sh...d.php?t=487707

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.