Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1757 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #26341
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey

Don't have the tubing, but it's not super expensive. We can experiment with it.
My fab skills are nowhere near Khris' but I know we can do you up well enough and have it function with no leaks and look decent.
So you're saying clothes hangers and tin foil are gonna be used! Haha

MMCKEIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #26342
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

So you're saying clothes hangers and tin foil are gonna be used! Haha
No, but I can't guarantee there won't be c-clamps! Lol
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #26343
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Lol.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:35 PM   #26344
Raptor0206
1985 CJ7 

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3795711209.html

Oooooooooo I want
Raptor0206 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #26345
sirhk100

Well, that was a waste of $30 and an hour of my time... Driver side axle leaks even worse now I think. F-me... Looks like I'm probably getting another axle made. Oh well, it's just money right?

On another note, the expo rides like a cadi. Almost too soft in my opinion and it seemed a bit rolly polly. So basically I screwed around with the shocks tonight on top of wasting my hour or whatever it was with the axle. Pulled both off, ripped them apart, 100% new seals thru out and changed up the valving. Tried to get a little tricky with the valving too.

I wanted to lessen the body roll so I plugged 2 out of the 3 total bleed screws. The bleed screws are just ports right thru the piston that allows the oil to bypass the valving. They're tiny but plugging each one is pretty noticeable by the seat of your pants. I had all 3 of them open before so I plugged up 2 of them effectively giving only one oil bypass port, when the piston moves faster then that port can flow it forces the oil thru the valve shims.

I also wanted to leave a semi soft ride on the road but make it a bit more responsive and firm it up a bit so it wasn't so tuna boat cadi like. It's a top heavy rig so while the soft ride was nice it just seemed like a handful. I also wanted to firm it up on the hard hits. I did this by going thicker on all the compression valves, basically one step up in thickness and then I stuck a tiny .008" spacer between the main shim and the 2nd shim to create what everyone calls a flutter stack. This makes it so small minor bumps basically let the suspension free float over it and the main valve stack doesn't come into play until that main shim bends past that spacer and slams into the rest of the stack.

Took it for a test drive up 95 to decatur and back. I like that fast lane running south on 95 cause it's got those rollers right in the middle of those turns at 70mph. Nothing like testing on the freeway with others around right? Well, it's WAY more controled thru there. It's not as smooth but no 2nd bouncy rebound like it had. It corners on the on and offramps better and seems to just want to stay planted more. Hit my dips on harmon crossing nellis and it's just as smooth as it was but the front end doesn't slinky back up on rebound after the dip. It just returns right back to ride height! Pretty much I'm STOKED now with how it rides on the street. Still pretty smooth but much more responsive and controllable. More street carish I guess you could say vs. grandma's lincoln where you feel no bumps at all.

Rock crawling won't matter, that's all in spring selection cause for the most part the motions are too slow to really affect the shocks. Will be interesting to see how it does thru the whoops!

While the shocks were off I also got my brake lines hard mounted on the frame too rather then the zip ties. This weekend I need to figure out a loop to kinda work as a leash to keep them out of the coils and away from the tires. Almost got that all buttoned up though at least now!

Tomorrow do some more email action with my axle guy to see what it's going to take and if he's going to help me out or if I get to just suck it up and buy another one on my own... Tomorrow night I'll probably get started on the hitch setup and then I think Sat I'll button that up, cut the rear u-bolts and then possibly get going on the rock sliders. The axle deal is seriously a bummer!!!! It's not really much work. Probably 2 hours at the most once I get it and the money really isn't a big deal either, just was really looking forward to being done with it... Oh well though, it is what it is. All part of the fun when going 100% one off custom crap.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:14 AM   #26346
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like it's a nice ride khris. Itll be cool to see it in action.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #26347
sirhk100

Man, it's too bad some of you guys couldn't have gone for a test ride before and after last night with the shocks. It's like a whole different vehicle on the way to work today! Crazy how much of a difference some easy changes make! Still no clue what it'll do in the dirt but it's much nicer on the street!

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:34 AM   #26348
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Man, it's too bad some of you guys couldn't have gone for a test ride before and after last night with the shocks. It's like a whole different vehicle on the way to work today! Crazy how much of a difference some easy changes make! Still no clue what it'll do in the dirt but it's much nicer on the street!
So you're saying it should serve it's purpose at the mall quite nicely now? Haha
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #26349
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Here take it all apart real quick and put it back then ill come over for a ride, then redo all the changes so I can see how it's better.

Ill watch and provide moral support.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #26350
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post
So you're saying it should serve it's purpose at the mall quite nicely now? Haha
I prefer high school parking lots! At least there you know they're all the right ages!

(btw, I've gotta feeling once it's up and going, yours may be more mall suited then mine... I don't think you'll keep up on the 2wd or the 4wd trails. )

Unread 05-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #26351
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Here take it all apart real quick and put it back then ill come over for a ride, then redo all the changes so I can see how it's better.

Ill watch and provide moral support.
If you pull the shocks and reinstall them I'll happily do the actual shock work changes! that's the easy part of the whole gig! It's getting the tire off, drooping out the suspension and unbolting them that's the actual work part and even that part really isn't hard.

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #26352
sirhk100

U-bolts, hitch and rock rails are this weekend's goals!!!

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #26353
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Why take the rotor off to a machine to resurface! This is how they do it in Ecuador! Haha

image-3472710796.jpg
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #26354
sirhk100

I'll remember that for down the road for sure!

New daily driver anyone?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...item3381f13db7

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #26355
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Holy crap.

So that 45 minute away 5 minute meeting yesterday...I am literally on the next street over right now. I could have made 1 trip out of it.

Fml.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.