Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1748 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #26206
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I heard Black Bear pass could be sketchy at times, but otherwise they are all passable with most 4wd. You don't need anything major to make it through. I would rather have a stockish rig for the drive anyways.

Unread 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #26207
sirhk100

Why, my expo rides better then stock now! Oh, that's right, you own a jeep, nevermind...

We only made it up to like the 3rd or 4th switchback on blackbear before it was solid snow and impassible. I've heard there's a couple sorta sketchy parts but it's more cause of the narrowness and the height factor which seeing the trail totally makes sense. I've got a photo of my friends XJ sitting at the bottom of the falls that I had blown up to poster size.

We made it to maybe that switchback that's 3/4 of the way up the falls seen here. I want to say it was a July trip and the snow was still that heavy up there.

I also remember there was this old track driven snow cat that had obviously fallen off the mountain at some point. It was OLD but super eery looking like something from a horror movie. It was like the snow cat version of that truck from the first jeepers creepers movie.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #26208
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I went wheeling up there back in hs with one of my hs friends. My parents took off up there for 2 weeks and me and my friend took his cherokee that was on 35" swampers which back in '95 was HUGE for a cherokee and met up with them for a week. Did engineer pass and explored all around Ouray, Silverton and Teluride. Black Bear pass was still snowed in but we went up as high we could before the trail was impassible. I've always wanted to go back. There wasn't anything hardcore that we found, like Marn could even do the trails but it was still super scenic and awesome up there!
IFSJA (and FSJ'ers in general) have an invasion in Ouray every year. It's my goal to make it out there in 2014!!!! (too many trips planned this year already, oregon, dinny world, sequoia, etc)

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #26209
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
IFSJA (and FSJ'ers in general) have an invasion in Ouray every year. It's my goal to make it out there in 2014!!!! (too many trips planned this year already, oregon, dinny world, sequoia, etc)
I'm jealous, I'm just hoping to go down a dirt road sometime this year in the new project vehicle once it's finished. That's a pretty serious goal though for me so we'll see if I can pull it off this year.

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:14 PM   #26210
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I'm jealous, I'm just hoping to go down a dirt road sometime this year in the new project vehicle once it's finished. That's a pretty serious goal though for me so we'll see if I can pull it off this year.
I could probably make the trip this year, but i'd rather "feel" everything out real well with the new axles and whatnot, maybe even get a new motor by then.

Thats a decent haul, something like 600 miles each way? I guess thats not turrable...but I've never had the truck more than 300 miles from home haha. I can also imagine i'd be covering quite a bit of elevation on that trip....haulin' a camper....yadda yadda.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #26211
sirhk100

I just remember we left san diego late afternoon after work. We got to barstow and it was blazing hot, we were having cooling issues and we'd had the windows down and heater on across the desert. At a parts store I pulled the thermostat completely out of his cherokee (no cell phones to call for help, two 18 year olds just going for it) which helped some but still were running hot. I fell asleep and woke up as we were climbing the grade to flagstaff, window still down freezing my *** off now. Had a meal as the horizon was getting light in Flagstaff and remember the waitress commenting that we were up early for our age, replied actually we were up late and left and kept driving. Got in mid day the next day... It was like an 18 hour trip for us but we had car issues across the desert that delayed us.

Not sure what the haul from here is. I'm actually hoping for Moab in '14 myself with the expo. May take the dirt bike too and try to get a day of riding in with it also.

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #26212
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
I just remember we left san diego late afternoon after work. We got to barstow and it was blazing hot, we were having cooling issues and we'd had the windows down and heater on across the desert. At a parts store I pulled the thermostat completely out of his cherokee (no cell phones to call for help, two 18 year olds just going for it) which helped some but still were running hot. I fell asleep and woke up as we were climbing the grade to flagstaff, window still down freezing my *** off now. Had a meal as the horizon was getting light in Flagstaff and remember the waitress commenting that we were up early for our age, replied actually we were up late and left and kept driving. Got in mid day the next day... It was like an 18 hour trip for us but we had car issues across the desert that delayed us.

Not sure what the haul from here is. I'm actually hoping for Moab in '14 myself with the expo. May take the dirt bike too and try to get a day of riding in with it also.
lets make it a big ole party. Moab and Ouray for everybody!

Quote:

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #26213
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

robbin' people with a........six gun!

Quote:

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #26214
sirhk100

I would actually be interested for next summer... Will have to plan accordingly though cause I'm also planning London next summer as well and if I'm doing London I'm gonna suck up a crap load of my PTO for that trip to make it worth while. I mean, I'd be dumb not to take advantage of free lodging and tour guides while they're available... Normally I'm trying to figure out how to waste PTO cause they won't pay us off or let it roll over. Next year I'm thinking I'll probably be scrounging for it a bit.

Unread 05-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #26215
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

to Silverton is right around 9-10 hours if you go via northern Arizona through St George. The only bad thing about going that way is that there is nothing out that way. But you could stop by 4 corners.
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #26216
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Khris, for a truck like what I want to build, would it make sense to cage the whole thing? Seems to me that if I run an engine and a cab cage, that creates a stress point on the frame unless they are tied together. Same goes for the bed cage. I know that running a bed makes things a bit more difficult in that regard but I think it can be done. It also makes a camper shell more difficult but I think that can be done as well. Should I run an engine cage and a simple bed cage and forget about caging the cab?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #26217
SparkyPowers
1979 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hey Marn, I can swing by this weekend to help ya out. Paying you back for helping me with installing my gas tank. I might not be able to spend all day but you got me for a few hours. I have a bunch of little stuff to do on my Willys before I head out to Moab on wed.
SparkyPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #26218
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
Okay, so we're getting closer to the weekend, does ACTUALLY anybody want to help me on Saturday?

I figure the following needs done in this order:

1. Gotta get the axle to the front of the house (tree dolly)
2. Gotta get the old axle OUT of the truck.
3. Gotta install the new calipers/soft lines to keep the brakes from dripping everywhere.
4. Gotta install new bushings in the front shackles (one is totally blown out). Figure might as well do this when the front of the springs are "down" to get the axle out (SUA).
5. Gotta get the new axle all situated and bolted to the springs, and swing the springs back up in place.
6. Bolt'er all back up.
7. Bleed brakes
8. Test drive.
9. ????
10. Profit.

After that i can take my tires to get them switched onto the 6 lug rims I figure, doesnt need to be done saturday though.

Oh and also, i have a reamer we need to use to ream out the tapered hole in the pitman arm, to accept the larger tie rod end. Should be easy enough.
I was serious, I will be happy to help you. I already committed to helping my father dig up and chop out a large tree root that's destroying his cinder block wall this Saturday. If you PM me your # and the times you are planning on working it, if you guys are still at it when I am done, count me in.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #26219
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHunter
Glad to hear I can "fix" and not "replace". The integrity of the floor is still good, just has play at the point of the split. I do want to wheel it, just not destroy it. So, I'll let you guys go first! If Marn's waggy don't make it, I'm not following and will take the go around! Hahaha

Thanks again for all of the input!

You must think I haven't been trolling these parts for long?! LOL
I like this guy, he's a smart one!
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #26220
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just got home from having dinner with an absolutely gorgeous blonde. Things were going great until she told me on the way home that she likes tall guys. I am now sitting in the garage, by myself, drinking beer. Pissed at the genetic lottery. My first date in months and she doesn't like me because I am a short bastage? How puerile can someone be?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.