Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1746 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:55 PM   #26176
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

haha. it was fun trying to carry it after i took the tie rod off. at least with it on it had to turn both knuckles. without it they were flopping in whatever direction haha

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #26177
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I used just a standard 2 wheel dolly like your tree one but mine is lighter duty. I use that for moving it around the property, just grab one end and stand it up on end then slide the dolly under it so that you're basically wheeling it around on end vertical. Then I'd wheel it to the end of the vehicle and lay it back down on the ground. From there I'd push and pull it and drag it into place across the concrete floor. I didn't care about scratches though, mine aren't pretty like yours. After I have it roughly where I want it, I'd lift up one side by myself and kick a jack stand under it, that's really fun I must say! Then go to the other side and repeat. Be ready for it to twist on you depending on how the pumpkin is oriented and weight distribution fighting with gravity. Basically I then go side to side raising it with the jack stands till it's higher then where I needed my leafs (spring under) and then I installed my leafs. Then I simply lifted each side kicking the stands out and lowered it onto the leafs. Once on both leafs I wrestle it into position on the leaf pins and go from there.

If you're spring over I'd hang the leafs, push it under and then lift it up to the bottom of the leaf pack and support it there somehow, wood blocks, straps off the cab, something... Hold it in the air till you can get the ubolts on and started...

Fun stuff!!!!
Rear axle: bolt wheels and tires onto axle, roll into position under vehicle. Adjust vehicle height to get springs into place.

Front axle: Temp fab a drag link to keep the knuckles from flopping about. Then same as rear.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #26178
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Rear axle: bolt wheels and tires onto axle, roll into position under vehicle. Adjust vehicle height to get springs into place.

Front axle: Temp fab a drag link to keep the knuckles from flopping about. Then same as rear.
guess we can do that.

no need for a temp tie rod! I have a real one! woo!

Aw crap, i'm going to have to get this **** aligned huh?

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #26179
SoCalHunter
1980 CJ5 

Hey Everyone! Well, I finally towed my CJ5 home from Oregon. Used my 05 Tacoma, and a car hauler, to do it.

Now that we've got all of our DMV issues handled, I've been starting to inspect her myself and build my list of things to do. I won't for a minute pretend to act like I know what I'm doing, as I have very little mechanical experience. I've done simple stuff in the past like stereo systems, brakes, a couple of alternators, and your normal fluid changes. The main reason for going with an older jeep, was the general simplicity of the engine compartment.

As I see it so far, I have two major issues. My first issue is that the tranny has a hard time shifting from reverse, into any forward moving gear. I can get it there. It's just a PITA! Running through the gears is, otherwise, not a problem. My other issue, which I find a little more immediate, is the drivers side floor pan. The floor pan has some rust, a grouping of tiny holes, and a crack about four inches long.

I'm going to start with the floor pan. I want to fix this right and I'd like your opinions on how I should proceed. Here are some pics...
loaded-up-oregon.jpg   home-last.jpg   floor-pan-holes.jpg   floor-pan-crack.jpg  
SoCalHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:15 PM   #26180
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

lol.

I seriously wouldnt worry about it.

are you planing a full resto or do you want a fun decent looking trail rig?

Quote:

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #26181
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

otherwise, just get a new floor pan and weld it in?

Quote:

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:21 PM   #26182
SoCalHunter
1980 CJ5 

I want a nice running trailing rig that I won't go Fred Flintstone out bottom of! I've got chicken legs and that will be WAY to much work! LOL

I'm split on how much resto I want to do.
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #26183
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

just welder up unless there is serious rot down there. Thats essentially nothing. lol.

is it really thin and crunchy or just a split in it?

Quote:

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #26184
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

or trade me the CJ for my waggy.

Quote:

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #26185
sirhk100

Quote:

I was assuming you had to still get the axles from the back yard to the front and thought you had a gate to get thru which would make putting the wheels on and rolling it a bit hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHunter View Post
I want a nice running trailing rig that I won't go Fred Flintstone out bottom of! I've got chicken legs and that will be WAY to much work! LOL

Do you want 100% stock looking floor board or are you fine with a patch? You could cut it out and simply weld a panel right in place of it but it wouldn't have those beads rolled in it.

That or quadratec sells whole replacement floor panel sections depending on the year that I think are exactly what you need for $65 according to the book in front of me.

Looks like part number 32507.01 for the driver or 32507.02 for the pass.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #26186
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If a resto I would probably clean up the metal, weld up the crack, then paint with rust-oleum. If I was going trail rig, I may or may not weld it up. Just clean up the metal and lay down some bed liner. It really depends on how far you want to go with it.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #26187
SoCalHunter
1980 CJ5 

Thankfully, just split. The concern comes from how bad I've seen other people's rust issues get. LOL I don't want to be in that boat and want the Jeep around for a long time.

Thanks for the input!
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #26188
sirhk100

On a side note, I was able to get logged into the skf page finally!!!! No I gotta do some measuring tonight and see if I can get lucky enough to find a seal that will fix my major issue rather then having another part custom made! A seal would be a heck of a lot cheaper and easy to swap!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #26189
SoCalHunter
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
If a resto I would probably clean up the metal, weld up the crack, then paint with rust-oleum.
This is exactly what I was considering. Just trying to learn what I can, and be open to advice from people that have been at this for a while!

Thanks Andy!

Last edited by SoCalHunter; 05-08-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: just fixin a typo!
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #26190
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Thankfully, just split. The concern comes from how bad I've seen other people's rust issues get. LOL I don't want to be in that boat and want the Jeep around for a long time.

Thanks for the input!
now that your jeep is out here, the rust is done doing what it'll do. let sleeping dogs lie....weld it up and lay down some bed liner. out of sight out of mind!

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.