Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1745 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #26161
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, so we're getting closer to the weekend, does ACTUALLY anybody want to help me on Saturday?

I figure the following needs done in this order:

1. Gotta get the axle to the front of the house (tree dolly)
2. Gotta get the old axle OUT of the truck.
3. Gotta install the new calipers/soft lines to keep the brakes from dripping everywhere.
4. Gotta install new bushings in the front shackles (one is totally blown out). Figure might as well do this when the front of the springs are "down" to get the axle out (SUA).
5. Gotta get the new axle all situated and bolted to the springs, and swing the springs back up in place.
6. Bolt'er all back up.
7. Bleed brakes
8. Test drive.
9. ????
10. Profit.

After that i can take my tires to get them switched onto the 6 lug rims I figure, doesnt need to be done saturday though.

Oh and also, i have a reamer we need to use to ream out the tapered hole in the pitman arm, to accept the larger tie rod end. Should be easy enough.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #26162
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would help but the kids would be more hassle than I am worth. I am going to do Wheelers in the morning I might stop by in the afternoon to see how it went. Text me your address.
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #26163
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That bear was just pissed that the monkey made him crash! Lol
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #26164
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I should be able to make it.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #26165
sirhk100

Give me another couple weeks and I'll be ready to help out on weekends. My "to do" list is still 1/4 of a white board long right now though. I ran into an issue last night that's gonna set me back quite a while from dirt testing and possibly a couple hundred bucks depending how a vendor that screwed up a custom part handles it. Not much I can do though, already paid for it, if they don't own up to it I'm up the creek and paying for another one even if it wasn't my mistake...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #26166
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Give me another couple weeks and I'll be ready to help out on weekends. My "to do" list is still 1/4 of a white board long right now though. I ran into an issue last night that's gonna set me back quite a while from dirt testing and possibly a couple hundred bucks depending how a vendor that screwed up a custom part handles it. Not much I can do though, already paid for it, if they don't own up to it I'm up the creek and paying for another one even if it wasn't my mistake...
no worries, I plan to tackle it with or without help this weekend, well, kinda, but whatever.

But if peeps want to help it'll be a fun day of wrenching.

I'll give free nova rides!

oh and i guess we can have some beer and pizza too or something.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #26167
sirhk100

If no one shows and you need someone to run over real quick for the heavy lifting or something like that shoot me a text and I'll run by real quick. Most of that sounds kinda solo'ish to me but I know muscling those things into place solo isn't fun... Ford 8.8 recently, race truck 9" four or five times, my yota 9" before that, etc... LOL

And if I was the bear, I'd have gone after the one that cut the course for blatant cheating!

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #26168
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
If no one shows and you need someone to run over real quick for the heavy lifting or something like that shoot me a text and I'll run by real quick. Most of that sounds kinda solo'ish to me but I know muscling those things into place solo isn't fun... Ford 8.8 recently, race truck 9" four or five times, my yota 9" before that, etc... LOL

And if I was the bear, I'd have gone after the one that cut the course for blatant cheating!
I know, you moved that ford 8.8 without me, haha. Hell, i'll just call you over so we can all watch you do it again!

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #26169
sirhk100

That ford 8.8 is light compared to the 9"ers in the toyotas around my house! Those are full width, thick wall axle tubes and trussed.

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #26170
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Wait. What would be best for moving the axle? The car supposedly has a 1000 POnd capacity but I would take that with a grain of salt.

The tree dolly can do whatever.
image-2778056108.jpg   image-2521563512.jpg  

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #26171
sirhk100

I used just a standard 2 wheel dolly like your tree one but mine is lighter duty. I use that for moving it around the property, just grab one end and stand it up on end then slide the dolly under it so that you're basically wheeling it around on end vertical. Then I'd wheel it to the end of the vehicle and lay it back down on the ground. From there I'd push and pull it and drag it into place across the concrete floor. I didn't care about scratches though, mine aren't pretty like yours. After I have it roughly where I want it, I'd lift up one side by myself and kick a jack stand under it, that's really fun I must say! Then go to the other side and repeat. Be ready for it to twist on you depending on how the pumpkin is oriented and weight distribution fighting with gravity. Basically I then go side to side raising it with the jack stands till it's higher then where I needed my leafs (spring under) and then I installed my leafs. Then I simply lifted each side kicking the stands out and lowered it onto the leafs. Once on both leafs I wrestle it into position on the leaf pins and go from there.

If you're spring over I'd hang the leafs, push it under and then lift it up to the bottom of the leaf pack and support it there somehow, wood blocks, straps off the cab, something... Hold it in the air till you can get the ubolts on and started...

Fun stuff!!!!

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #26172
sirhk100

Oh boy!!!!! crossing my fingers I can get registered in the SKF system online. Then crossing my fingers tonight I can do some measurements and possibly just pickup a custom seal to fix my issue I ran into last night. I'll be stoked if I can pull that off cause man it'll save me some serious headache!!!

1st hurdle is getting registered on the page though. I signed up, got the email to verify, click the link and it just takes me to the main page, not a verification page. I've tried logging in too many times now though so now I'm locked out for 30 minutes. Guess I go to lunch and enjoy my new windshield. Oh and hey, I've gotta rear view mirror now too even!!!

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #26173
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

i cant stand this one up on end because of the hubs.

I guess i could remove the hubs and do it? But it might be a pain because its a front end and it can turn. i was just going to put the diff on the dolly and wheel it around laying down.

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #26174
sirhk100

nevermind

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #26175
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
i cant stand this one up on end because of the hubs.

I guess i could remove the hubs and do it? But it might be a pain because its a front end and it can turn. i was just going to put the diff on the dolly and wheel it around laying down.
Ohhh, yeah, I could see that being a pain with knuckles that turn. Stupid solid front axles!

Dolly sounds right I guess...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.