Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1711 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #25651
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey

I believe so, depending on what eventually gets added to it. Currently, there will be plenty of slots for everything, with some room to grow.
There are two reasons for a relay. First, keep the high power away from the switch. Because a switch is not designed for the amount of power that the component draws, it causes resistance which leads to heat build-up and either crisped wiring or in severe cases, a fire. The other reason is to keep high power draws out of the passenger compartments. Higher power levels lead to increased risk of fire. By keeping that risk in the engine compartment, it gives you time to escape should a fire actually occur. You and I seriously need to sit done and discuss this at length.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #25652
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

If you ever need to run a buttload of stuff, this bussman panel looks pretty sweet. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...4-spod-ha.html
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #25653
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

There are two reasons for a relay. First, keep the high power away from the switch. Because a switch is not designed for the amount of power that the component draws, it causes resistance which leads to heat build-up and either crisped wiring or in severe cases, a fire. The other reason is to keep high power draws out of the passenger compartments. Higher power levels lead to increased risk of fire. By keeping that risk in the engine compartment, it gives you time to escape should a fire actually occur. You and I seriously need to sit done and discuss this at length.
Isn't that why main power cables are fused immediately after the battery? To pop if there's a big draw? Serious question, not being a smartash.
Unread 05-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #25654
sirhk100

Power, let me know when you want me to come over and take care of this crap for you! It's getting old man... Just say the word and I'm on my way! Trust me, I'm an expert!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:10 PM   #25655
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
Power, let me know when you want me to come over and take care of this crap for you! It's getting old man... Just say the word and I'm on my way! Trust me, I'm an expert!
Roflmfao! Lol
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #25656
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

Yeah. I learned about relays on the wag. Luckily not the hard way.

My headlight switch used to get so hot you could smell it while driving around at night. Power went from battery, through switch, out to headlights. Also it would get so hot the post on the switch would be super hot to the touch. The lights would flicker.

I wired in a set of relays that went from battery, through relays, to headlights. First off, the switch has never gotten hot since. Second, the lights were instantly brighter. Third, the relays are essentially a fuse if anything goes wrong..

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

"One of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence" - Charles Austin Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.
Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #25657
Grand_ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Just finished installing the new bilstein 5100's that I got delivered today and WOW what a difference does some new shocks make in how my jeep handles. Very impressed so far.
Unread 05-02-2013, 07:08 AM   #25658
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post

Yeah. I learned about relays on the wag. Luckily not the hard way.

My headlight switch used to get so hot you could smell it while driving around at night. Power went from battery, through switch, out to headlights. Also it would get so hot the post on the switch would be super hot to the touch. The lights would flicker.

I wired in a set of relays that went from battery, through relays, to headlights. First off, the switch has never gotten hot since. Second, the lights were instantly brighter. Third, the relays are essentially a fuse if anything goes wrong..
What could go wrong with your headlight wiring? Not like it would happen on wheelers pass. But hey it allowed powr to get reception with Randall!!
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #25659
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ View Post
Just finished installing the new bilstein 5100's that I got delivered today and WOW what a difference does some new shocks make in how my jeep handles. Very impressed so far.
Wish more people could see the difference in a well built and well valved shock! I always wanted to try out OME shocks when I had my jeep. People rave about them. Bilstiens though are hard to go wrong with for off the shelf non-rebuildable non-tunable type shocks! They do their home work and tune their shocks for the vehicle. Back from '01-04 I got to work with them a bit and see what they did. It was pretty fun bending the stock bumpstop mounts on rental cars to get the shocks dialed in!

Quote:
Third, the relays are essentially a fuse if anything goes wrong..
I'm not 100% sure that statement is true as is. Someone with better electrical knowledge can chime in but just to keep someone from getting confused I'm under the impression you still need a legit fuse in the systems as if a wire goes to ground or something on the gadget shorts it still could get ugly before a relay fails.

Oh, and greg was closest... Drivers side rear seat pooper access!!!

Or it's what you do when you need to access the top of the fuel tank but are too lazy to drop the fuel tank, especially when it's completely 100% topped off with gas! That's how you do it! LOL No hmmmm'in or ha'in, just getting work done! Don't need no 2nd opinions on what I should do or what I should cut or how I should cut it... LOL Suck it power!

OH!!!!!!!!!!!! AND I DROVE IT TO WORK TODAY FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!!! We'll see if it makes it thru the day. Assuming I'm not still hunting down a gremlin on it tonight I plan to get the front end alignment dialed in a bit better, possibly get the sub/amp combo installed which I'll pull power directly off the battery, but first I gotta get that pooper hole filled up. Just going to make a plate that will screw down over the top of it and seal it around the edges with some silicone. Should make it semi easy for any future access needs too, especially since I feel like I really may own this one for quite a while finally! Like I've said, I only regret selling 2 previous vehicles and my old expo is one of those two...

Unread 05-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #25660
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

you my friend are very brave. Not because you cut, but because did you know the gap between the tank and the floorboard. Did you even nick that hose?
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:04 AM   #25661
sirhk100

I'd stuck my hand up in there and got myself an idea of how much clearance I had to work with, also pulled the wire harness out of the way before cutting as well... Not my first rodeo...

Although I'll admit, recently I was doing some welding on a friends truck and I'm typically REALLY good about checking the backside of whatever I'm working on. Well I completely forgot to while BS'ing and being distracted and basically was welding and had his frame glowing red hot with the metal fuel lines tight against the backside of the frame rails! LOL

Unread 05-02-2013, 09:11 AM   #25662
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Isn't that why main power cables are fused immediately after the battery? To pop if there's a big draw? Serious question, not being a smartash.
Yes it is but let me ask you something. Are your kids going to be climbing in and around the Jeep? Any friends riding in the back? Ever carry tools and or replacement parts back there? If anything were to crush that fuse block, you could run into an instance where resistance goes way up. Like I said before, in increase in resistance = an increase in heat. You may not be pulling enough amps in that instance for the main fuse to pop. Instead, you have a fuse block, getting hotter, sitting under a piece of carpet directly under a seat. Granted, this is a perfect storm scenario but something that I would just as soon avoid if I were you.

Quote:
Third, the relays are essentially a fuse if anything goes wrong..
A relay is nothing more than an electrically operated high amp switch. Just as much as it may act as a fuse, it also may not. I wouldn't want to be the one to test that out on a vehicle although I am sure that I could come up with a way to build a test stand so that we could blow relays and not worry about burning a vehicle to the ground.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #25663
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
Yes it is but let me ask you something. Are your kids going to be climbing in and around the Jeep? Any friends riding in the back? Ever carry tools and or replacement parts back there? If anything were to crush that fuse block,
My luck, my empty mtn dew can would roll across the top of it and hit a couple terminals and do a little aluminum can arc welding experiment under my butt!

This makes me want to pull the coilovers off my toyota and cruise around on the bumpstops for a bit.

Unread 05-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #25664
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have seen plenty of overloaded relays/contactors have the contacts arch themselves together . Thus never shutting off power... so yes you really really need to have a fuse in the circuit.
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #25665
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
this makes me want to pull the coilovers off my toyota and cruise around on the bumpstops for a bit.

dooooooo eeeettttttt!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.