Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1709 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 05-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #25621
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
So I keep reading everywhere that this 303 stuff is the best stuff since sliced bread for cleaning/treating/protecting soft tops. I guess is it supposed be have some UV protectant in it and it is really big in the aviation and boating world. Does any of you fine gentlemen know where I might be able to find some in town?
way back in my TJ days i was able to find it at Ace hardware, back in NH. Not sure if i ever got any out here.

FYI a "smaller than windex" bottle is like 15 bucks.

Quote:
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else!
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now!
- Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #25622
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

yeah I heard that it is a little pricey. I also heard that a little bit goes a long ways and it really works good.

I guess the price is not that bad when you look at how much the bestop cleaner kit goes for.
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #25623
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So, here it is...

image-827370254.jpg

Before....

image-696446782.jpg

image-1365325131.jpg

After...

image-3822026524.jpg

image-1308265980.jpg

Will barely know its there with all the wires and everything. There's two perfect channels in front and behind that "hump" and I'll route the wire sets along with the OEM harnesses under the door and through the firewall to the battery. I'll use the front right seat mount bolt for the negative cable. Already removed the paint for good contact there.
Wasn't that bad, and it doesn't look hacked to hell!
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #25624
sirhk100

WTF? I thought the rules said engine compartment cause honestly, under the seat was the first place that crossed my mind but for some reason I thought you didn't want it inside the cab. There or also I would've been looking up near the kick panels on both sides, I don't remember how much space was up there though.

Okay, so this weekend I'm assuming you'll spend both days where to drill the firewall to pop in a grommet and run some wires thru? Then next weekend you might start running wires?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #25625
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
WTF? I thought the rules said engine compartment cause honestly, under the seat was the first place that crossed my mind but for some reason I thought you didn't want it inside the cab. There or also I would've been looking up near the kick panels on both sides, I don't remember how much space was up there though.

Okay, so this weekend I'm assuming you'll spend both days where to drill the firewall to pop in a grommet and run some wires thru? Then next weekend you might start running wires?
NOPE! already have a hole in one of the firewall grommets that the wires currently run through. Ill have to enlarge it a little because the wires will be all in sheathing. There will be probably two or three larger "wires" going through, instead of the spider web that's there now. It will make for a much cleaner install of the lights and stuff. The block, as it turns out is barely rated for all the stuff I want to route to it. 100 amps goes pretty quick. The lights are rated at around 10-11 amps per pair. Eventually planning on six sets total, tops. the air solenoids barely pul 1-3 amps. the OBA, wont be run through it, because its around 30 amps. all in all, it should do just fine for what I'm trying to accomplish with it.
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #25626
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Time is however an issue. The family doesn't like me spending more time out there than inside with them. I have to wade through the spider web I created on the initial install, and correct everything. I can spend only an hour or two at a time out there except for saturdays. this saturday is already booked solid with other activities, so not much getting done until next week before work. Sunday is the "family" day, so thats mostly out, except for maybe a few hours while the kids are napping...
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #25627
sirhk100

Does anyone think many TJ and JK owners are into a retro look? Like if some of the parts had styling similarities to the older CJ stuff yet functioned like a modern part do you think it would sell much? My gut feeling is a majority of TJ and JK owners out there DGAF about the old jeeps and just want the newest coolest techie looking gismos rather then something functional with a throw back look...

For instance, how about an over center positive style locking hood hold down that has the "look" or some styling of the old "hook" that was on the CJ's and YJ?

Unread 05-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #25628
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I guess I am going to be the anti-Christ here and just say what needs to be said. With your electrical knowledge and time, you would have been better off just getting a sPod system.

Right now all you really have is a wire distribution block with fuses. Are you telling me that you are going to run all of the accessories into your jeep. Not only that but the switches are going to be up on your dash or a-pillar. You have to run relays for everything. If not the load will melt 90% of the automotive switches out on the market. By the time you run all of your wires, switches, and relays. Go price out some 12g wire for your power, by the time that you run it half way across the vehicle it is not going to be cheap at all. Being a 2 door with the flip up seat, I do not see it being viable to mount the relays under the seat as well. They will just get kicked and broken all the time.

Just go to lowes and get a sheet of aluminum. Build a few brackets and figure out a place to mount it under the hood. Nothing that cannot be done in half an hour with a vise and a dremmel. You will have shorter wire runs (Cheaper and safer) and you can mount your relays on the plate too. This way all you would have to run into the cab would be one power wire to all of your switches, then however many control wires that you need back to the relays.
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM   #25629
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Unread 05-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #25630
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Does anyone think many TJ and JK owners are into a retro look? Like if some of the parts had styling similarities to the older CJ stuff yet functioned like a modern part do you think it would sell much? My gut feeling is a majority of TJ and JK owners out there DGAF about the old jeeps and just want the newest coolest techie looking gismos rather then something functional with a throw back look...

For instance, how about an over center positive style locking hood hold down that has the "look" or some styling of the old "hook" that was on the CJ's and YJ?
I love the old iron and was heading that way with the look of my Jeep before other decisions were made. I do, however, think that you are correct. Most TJ and JK owners are too busy adding the latest whiz-bang gadget that comes along.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #25631
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I will say, I had an all aluminum cargo tailgate to replace my CJ7 one, but I decided I did like the way Jeep-logo looked on the tailgate so it stayed. People assume mine is a CJ when they see it from behind. I'd say that would be a narrow market, because in my case, if I want to look like an old CJ.......I just go buy an old CJ
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #25632
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Unread 05-01-2013, 04:20 PM   #25633
sirhk100

Even I call it when I'm in over my head and call in someone a bit more expert then me. I learned that trick from watching the pawn stars!

Unread 05-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #25634
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
I guess I am going to be the anti-Christ here and just say what needs to be said. With your electrical knowledge and time, you would have been better off just getting a sPod system.

Right now all you really have is a wire distribution block with fuses. Are you telling me that you are going to run all of the accessories into your jeep. Not only that but the switches are going to be up on your dash or a-pillar. You have to run relays for everything. If not the load will melt 90% of the automotive switches out on the market. By the time you run all of your wires, switches, and relays. Go price out some 12g wire for your power, by the time that you run it half way across the vehicle it is not going to be cheap at all. Being a 2 door with the flip up seat, I do not see it being viable to mount the relays under the seat as well. They will just get kicked and broken all the time.

Just go to lowes and get a sheet of aluminum. Build a few brackets and figure out a place to mount it under the hood. Nothing that cannot be done in half an hour with a vise and a dremmel. You will have shorter wire runs (Cheaper and safer) and you can mount your relays on the plate too. This way all you would have to run into the cab would be one power wire to all of your switches, then however many control wires that you need back to the relays.
I have to side with Greg here. Basically, with where you have this mounted, it looks as if you are doing nothing more than running the switches through the fuse block? If that is the case, it is doing practically nothing for you. The switch and relay don't draw that much power. Realistically, I would have wired ALL the switches to one fuse and the components themselves would have been run on relays and fused individually. When we meet up on Saturday, remind me and I'll draw up a wiring diagram for you.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #25635
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

you live close to fry's just go check out some of their micro relays and stuff. It should make it easier for you.

check out this guys stuff http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...panel-1076574/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.