Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1703 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-30-2013, 01:34 PM   #25531
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
$350 a month, that must be nice.
i prefered when it was 500 and i didnt have to live with the sister, but whatevs.

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #25532
B0nez
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Here is a funny story. My brothers work the oil fields in N Utah. My oldest brother was just suspended because he yelled at an oil rigger for sleeping on the job. Apparently the guy was crying in the office as he was filling out a complaint at the office. Who would have thought getting yelled at for slacking off was cause to suspend a supervisor. My brother says it the new "nicer" oil fields. This what's wrong with America.
SAME kinda drama where I work. I hate being the boss for this very reason. The sense of entitlement people have these days is BAD.
B0nez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #25533
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
I've read about the 18" rule in stereo install instructions and requirements. They were very specific about it. In bold, italicized letters. "Must not exceed 18" from component"

So essentially, if I use at least same size or larger gauge wiring for the ground, I'm good? I know smaller gauge is a no no, because it then becomes the limiter in the system, with electricity being much like water flow and all. The extensions will be for all my accessories. Lights, OBA, etc, but not stereo stuff.

On the stereo stuff, is there a RF insulation that can be applied over the hot/ground wires to filter out the alternator whine? Something like heat shrink that can be just slipped over the cables? Alternator whine is sometimes cool and all, like sounding like a turbo, but it's annoying 98% of the time. I'm pretty sure it's not possible without replacing the cables with some expensive stuff, but just hoping that someone has a neat, easy, inexpensive trick...
That is in stereo install guides in an effort to keep electrical "noise" down. Alternator whine, popping from non-insulated plug wires, etc. Nothing more, nothing less. There are other ways to keep it from happening. For instance, I have run the power and ground wires on a new stereo install all the way to the battery. If you twist them, they typically do a damn fine job of keeping electrical noise out of the system. It also helps to cross things like signal wires at 90* angles.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #25534
sirhk100

Quote:
It's flat, out of the way, and still accessible. Have to drill
Power, the hood is not a good choice!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #25535
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Have her the exact same parameters you all had, and she very quickly figured it out! It's quite amusing actually. It's like asking small children to solve philosophical conundrums, and they immediately pop out with the most simple, effective answers.
A truck approaches a bridge and is two inches to tall to fit under the bridge. How do you make it fit?
I child answered, "let air out of the tires!" It's that simple.
Not sure if that's a true story, but I know they use that test in schools to test critical thinking. Sometimes it takes an open mind not cluttered with all the technicalities to come up with a good solution! Thanks, wiffle!
Your parameters to her were different than they are to us. Has she seen the size of the air horns you are mounting? Has she seen the size of the compressor? Without us being able to actually see these things, we have no idea how big or small they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #25536
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100

ROFLMFAO! That was her first go-to! ROFLMFAO! Hahaha. I said no, I'm don't drilling the hood, and every time I open the hood, the wires get a workout! Effing Mexicans! Lol, but I love her!
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM   #25537
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

Your parameters to her were different than they are to us. Has she seen the size of the air horns you are mounting? Has she seen the size of the compressor? Without us being able to actually see these things, we have no idea how big or small they are.

I posted pictures of all of that for your viewing pleasure! No excuse. Her parameters were the same as yours.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #25538
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I posted pictures of all of that for your viewing pleasure! No excuse. Her parameters were the same as yours.
Her parameters were completely different. We had no reference to actual size. Showing a picture doesn't tell you how big or small it is because the size in pictures changes depending on the perspective that the camera was at. In one of the pictures you posted, it looks like the fuse block is damn near the size of the battery. Handing something to someone and asking "where would you mount this?" is different than showing someone a picture of something and asking the same.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #25539
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, truce, not treaty...

Next question: fusing the hot within 12" of the battery is to guard against chafing shorts, yes? So if I fuse the main power to my fuse block, within 12", and then use all of the recommended fuse ratings for the accessories on the block, it should be fine, yes? Just select a fuse within 5-10 amps above the combined draw of all accessories in use at the same time? Do DC components have start up spikes in current draw like AC components? Can I just add up the fuse value for all accessories, or do I need to actually find out what normal operating and start up amp draw on all of the accessories, and select a fuse base on those numbers? Hope that was clear on my question. Don't know if I conveyed it correctly into words.
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #25540
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have my air horns mounted to the bottom of the hood on the back cross brace. So far its worked great.
matthew900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #25541
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok, truce, not treaty...

Next question: fusing the hot within 12" of the battery is to guard against chafing shorts, yes? So if I fuse the main power to my fuse block, within 12", and then use all of the recommended fuse ratings for the accessories on the block, it should be fine, yes? Just select a fuse within 5-10 amps above the combined draw of all accessories in use at the same time? Do DC components have start up spikes in current draw like AC components? Can I just add up the fuse value for all accessories, or do I need to actually find out what normal operating and start up amp draw on all of the accessories, and select a fuse base on those numbers? Hope that was clear on my question. Don't know if I conveyed it correctly into words.
Yes, DC components do have start-up spike just like AC components. You don't need to figure out what it is for all components unless you are planning on starting them all up at once. Just add them all up and go 5 amps above that.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #25542
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

Yes, DC components do have start-up spike just like AC components. You don't need to figure out what it is for all components unless you are planning on starting them all up at once. Just add them all up and go 5 amps above that.
Thanks.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew900
I have my air horns mounted to the bottom of the hood on the back cross brace. So far its worked great.
And thanks!
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #25543
sirhk100

Anyone want to buy the equivalent of my toyota, about the only difference is he has better spindles but I have 0.4 more liters of fury under the hood and a lot more rear shock! I'll have cool spindles like him soon though!

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifie...tails&id=47411

Unread 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #25544
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I really wish I had more cash in my account right now!!

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3760159029.html

Oh well, I'll find something after I get back from deployment.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #25545
sirhk100

Make sure you drive one with the 2.9 and also the 4.0 before you buy. It may make you a bit more picky with your year choices...

give me $10K and we'll make it almost as fast as the race truck but still capable of wheeling thru Nelson or anywhere the wheel base would let you go...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.