Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1702 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #25516
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I've said it many a time, I could've afforded a nice newer home in a cool gated area with all those awesome HOA's that keep houses looking pretty but then again, I wouldn't be able to do the things I do. Although, then I could watch more TV, have smooth hands and well, I'm not sure what else I'd do... That and I wanted disposable income... Without a roomie, my house payment is about 20% of my take home. With a roomie... LOL well, it's just dumb! (I know those numbers equate to something in your head...)
good thing i could walk away from this house tomorrow. I'm not attached to it in any way shape or form.

I'm just attached to some of the things in it. like my gun safe thats bolted down, fish tank thats too heavy to move.

Oh, and there's the girl, but whatever.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #25517
sirhk100

Looking thru the newest offroad industry magazine I spotted an ad for my old employer in San Diego, RCD Suspensions. I noticed they make a front bumper for the cherokee which is EXACTLY what I want to make for my expo someday when I get a winch. Only difference is I think I've got room to stuff the winch further back under the grill so it doesn't have to stick out as far. But... I really like the look of this one!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #25518
sirhk100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
good thing i could walk away from this house tomorrow. I'm not attached to it in any way shape or form.
I'm not attached to mine either. I walked away from my az house and moved on. Could do it again if I wanted to. Don't really have the "want" though this time.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #25519
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Electronics question: does it matter if the ground wire is longer than the recommended 18"? I could use a larger gauge wire to lengthen my ground wires. Is that 18" recommendation because of resistance? Is it generally only for bumping stereos? What's the deal with keeping grounds short? Any harm in them being equal length to the hot?
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #25520
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
I'm not attached to mine either. I walked away from my az house and moved on. Could do it again if I wanted to. Don't really have the "want" though this time.
well no, I'm saying i don't own it, lol, not like emotionally.

I have no attachment, like, legally, on paper whatever, to the house. I don't even have a lease. I just put $350 a month into some account.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #25521
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

It honestly depends on the load and how clean the power has to be.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #25522
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
well no, I'm saying i don't own it, lol, not like emotionally.

I have no attachment, like, legally, on paper whatever, to the house. I don't even have a lease. I just put $350 a month into some account.
$350 a month, that must be nice.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #25523
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Electronics question: does it matter if the ground wire is longer than the recommended 18"? I could use a larger gauge wire to lengthen my ground wires. Is that 18" recommendation because of resistance? Is it generally only for bumping stereos? What's the deal with keeping grounds short? Any harm in them being equal length to the hot?
Where did you find this 18" rule? Think about it this way, you have to get the ground back to the battery some way. How doesn't really matter. When you connect to ground all you are really doing is going to something else that conducts electricity back to the ground terminal of the battery.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #25524
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, and let the jokes begin. I took the wiffle to the garage, handed her the fuse block, and said, "this has to go in there. It has to have room for the wires to connect, has to stay dry, and cannot interfere with any moving parts."
Les than five minutes later, I have my spot. It's flat, out of the way, and still accessible. Have to drill the tub, but no biggie. The hard part will be fitting the drill where the holes need to go. Of course pics will follow. You're all going to straight laugh at me and clown on me for a while. It's so simple, I can't believe I didn't see it, and no one mentioned it!
I need the wiffle to help on more of these projects. Sometimes a wide open mind and non mechanical perspective is all that's needed!
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #25525
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would mount it on top of the wheel liner with some 3 inch wood screws.
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #25526
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Here is a funny story. My brothers work the oil fields in N Utah. My oldest brother was just suspended because he yelled at an oil rigger for sleeping on the job. Apparently the guy was crying in the office as he was filling out a complaint at the office. Who would have thought getting yelled at for slacking off was cause to suspend a supervisor. My brother says it the new "nicer" oil fields. This what's wrong with America.
ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #25527
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Oh, and let the jokes begin. I took the wiffle to the garage, handed her the fuse block, and said, "this has to go in there. It has to have room for the wires to connect, has to stay dry, and cannot interfere with any moving parts."
Les than five minutes later, I have my spot. It's flat, out of the way, and still accessible. Have to drill the tub, but no biggie. The hard part will be fitting the drill where the holes need to go. Of course pics will follow. You're all going to straight laugh at me and clown on me for a while. It's so simple, I can't believe I didn't see it, and no one mentioned it!
I need the wiffle to help on more of these projects. Sometimes a wide open mind and non mechanical perspective is all that's needed!
You asked for opinions on where it could go keeping in mind that you were mounting other things as well. With that, you didn't really give us a lot of options. I can think of a few spaces where it would likely fit under the hood of a TJ. I also know exactly where I would mount it to make it accesible, clean, and make it look pretty damn close to factory. It would require you to build a bracket and use some ingenuity though.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #25528
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

Where did you find this 18" rule? Think about it this way, you have to get the ground back to the battery some way. How doesn't really matter. When you connect to ground all you are really doing is going to something else that conducts electricity back to the ground terminal of the battery.
I've read about the 18" rule in stereo install instructions and requirements. They were very specific about it. In bold, italicized letters. "Must not exceed 18" from component"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3
It honestly depends on the load and how clean the power has to be.
So essentially, if I use at least same size or larger gauge wiring for the ground, I'm good? I know smaller gauge is a no no, because it then becomes the limiter in the system, with electricity being much like water flow and all. The extensions will be for all my accessories. Lights, OBA, etc, but not stereo stuff.

On the stereo stuff, is there a RF insulation that can be applied over the hot/ground wires to filter out the alternator whine? Something like heat shrink that can be just slipped over the cables? Alternator whine is sometimes cool and all, like sounding like a turbo, but it's annoying 98% of the time. I'm pretty sure it's not possible without replacing the cables with some expensive stuff, but just hoping that someone has a neat, easy, inexpensive trick...
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #25529
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
Here is a funny story. My brothers work the oil fields in N Utah. My oldest brother was just suspended because he yelled at an oil rigger for sleeping on the job. Apparently the guy was crying in the office as he was filling out a complaint at the office. Who would have thought getting yelled at for slacking off was cause to suspend a supervisor. My brother says it the new "nicer" oil fields. This what's wrong with America.
Must be the new "kinder, gentler oil fields." I deal with the same thing. Way back when, we used to have "wall to wall" counseling. Then we went to yelling. Now, we have to talk to them so they don't get their feelings hurt and if they decide that they don't like how you are treating them, they can just get up and walk away.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #25530
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

You asked for opinions on where it could go keeping in mind that you were mounting other things as well. With that, you didn't really give us a lot of options. I can think of a few spaces where it would likely fit under the hood of a TJ. I also know exactly where I would mount it to make it accesible, clean, and make it look pretty damn close to factory. It would require you to build a bracket and use some ingenuity though.
Have her the exact same parameters you all had, and she very quickly figured it out! It's quite amusing actually. It's like asking small children to solve philosophical conundrums, and they immediately pop out with the most simple, effective answers.
A truck approaches a bridge and is two inches to tall to fit under the bridge. How do you make it fit?
I child answered, "let air out of the tires!" It's that simple.
Not sure if that's a true story, but I know they use that test in schools to test critical thinking. Sometimes it takes an open mind not cluttered with all the technicalities to come up with a good solution! Thanks, wiffle!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.