Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1692 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #25366
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like a Andy or Greg fix. They seem to be the electrical nerds around here.

ksturgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #25367
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Well, I'm a little worried the issue is related to me lengthening my MAF harness. I'd heard rumors ahead of time that doing that is going to change the resistance built into the harness length and may affect how it runs. This "may" be what I have going on but if that's the case, why would it have ran problem free for close to 45 minutes before hand with a combo of city and highway driving? The nice thing I guess... I've got whitey in they drive to rob parts off for trouble shooting at least! LOL

I'm throwing a code 66 which is MAF below min voltage. Will try swapping MAF tomorrow night. If still nothing, will strip the harness apart to check my solder joints.
how did you solder them? just twist then solder or did you tin them? I have found it best to tin them, then basically make to hooks or loops, solder, then heat shrink.

I though most of the time that a MAF issue will just cause you to run rich, not kill the engine.
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #25368
sirhk100

No clue what you mean, that's talking code to me. I stuck the bare wires end to end pushing the strands directly into each other, stuck the iron on the bottom, heated the wire till the solder would flow from the top. Then slid heat shrink over and shrunk it.

As for the MAF, every other vehicle I've messed with has died basically as soon as you unplugged the MAF but then again I think they've all be OBDii systems. It's be a REALLY long time since I've messed with the OBDi stuff. I'd go try it on my toyota but I swapped in a modern OBDii motor into it so I can't even try it on that.

Won't lie, I'm a little bummed!!! Was really looking forward to daily driving it! The A/C today was nice!!! LOL up till it wasn't nice.

I posted a detailed post on the expo forum so hopefully I'll get some ideas thru there. I'm also going to swing by my uncles shop tomorrow and quiz him for ideas on his thoughts as to if the harness length legitimately could be my issue. I used a nice thick ga. wire and I just find it hard to believe that an additional 12-15" in length really could upset it but who knows I suppose.

Who's the ford tech on here? I know there's one but I don't remember which one of you guys it is... If you see this, are you familiar with the older OBDi systems? If so think this harness alteration really could be my issue? If so, why would it have not ran like poo for the first 45 minutes? I'd have thought it would've been an instant issue if the harness length was the issue.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:21 PM   #25369
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100
No clue what you mean, that's talking code to me. I stuck the bare wires end to end pushing the strands directly into each other, stuck the iron on the bottom, heated the wire till the solder would flow from the top. Then slid heat shrink over and shrunk it.

As for the MAF, every other vehicle I've messed with has died basically as soon as you unplugged the MAF but then again I think they've all be OBDii systems. It's be a REALLY long time since I've messed with the OBDi stuff. I'd go try it on my toyota but I swapped in a modern OBDii motor into it so I can't even try it on that.

Won't lie, I'm a little bummed!!! Was really looking forward to daily driving it! The A/C today was nice!!! LOL up till it wasn't nice.

I posted a detailed post on the expo forum so hopefully I'll get some ideas thru there. I'm also going to swing by my uncles shop tomorrow and quiz him for ideas on his thoughts as to if the harness length legitimately could be my issue. I used a nice thick ga. wire and I just find it hard to believe that an additional 12-15" in length really could upset it but who knows I suppose.

Who's the ford tech on here? I know there's one but I don't remember which one of you guys it is... If you see this, are you familiar with the older OBDi systems? If so think this harness alteration really could be my issue? If so, why would it have not ran like poo for the first 45 minutes? I'd have thought it would've been an instant issue if the harness length was the issue.
As heat increases, resistance increases. If the wiring or MAF sensor got warmer than what it is used to, that could be your issue. I wouldn't expect that after 45 minutes though. I would expect to see it shortly after it got up to operating temperature. However, I don't know what kind of range the computer is looking for out of the MAF sensor. If it a very small range, the combination of the heat of the MAF sensor being directly over the radiator and the extended wiring could possibly be the issue. I just don't know. I think my first step would be to swap the sensor with the one on Whitey and see if that fixes it. It could just be that the sensor took a ****.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:32 PM   #25370
sirhk100

That's the first thing I'm doing tomorrow after work. I know the MAF got a bit dirty at one point. I had it plugged the whole time but there was a couple times during the engine cage where I didn't have it plugged and was doing quite a bit of grinding. One specific time my pops walked over and stuffed a rag back in it cause I was grinding in the driveway and said the sparks were heading right at it basically from 10 feet away. It was while i was building the crossover tubes and checking clearance around everything. LOL whoops...

Like you said, the fact it did it so far into the drive is the strange point. I mean we were hovering at 100 degrees today, it was up at operating temps WAY WAY sooner then when it failed. LOL And it did it on the freeway when airflow should've been at the best, not sitting at a red light or whatever... I made it basically from my house to frys on city streets, then hoped on 15 north, 95 towards my house but kept going past my house and it pooped right before galleria so I coasted off there and was able to limp it home from that point on city streets...

On the other hand EVERYTHING I built worked great!!!! LOL It was so nice to drive something with no squeaks, pops, bangs, spool, etc... It was actually quiet!!!! In fact the test drive made my mind up, I'm just going to have a tail pipe put on it and that's it! I'll pull the magnaflow off whitey and hold on to it but I don't think I'm going to run it, I like it nice and quiet!!! No need to have it loud and obnoxious... I think the look is enough of that itself. The one thing I'm still a little up in the air on is the stance. Right now it's pretty much sitting level. I'm a bit tempted to lift the front end up a tiny bit. Not sure... Something about how it looked in the parking lot at frys makes me think I should lift it up.

Oh and with the front bumper on, you can't even see the swinger!!!! It looked like it hung down super low and would be vulnerable but that's just not the case once the bumper's on. Granted, I left that lower plastic valence on the bumper so that's hanging down a bit lower to hide it. I like how it looks... I did have to cut the ends of the bumper for tire clearance.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 10:39 PM   #25371
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

You can get one of those new mufflers that has a butterfly that opens with the amount of throttle given. When you drive like a normal person it's nice and quiet. When you get into the throttle it opens up and you get more noise and flow.
Unread 04-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #25372
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksturgio View Post
You can get one of those new mufflers that has a butterfly that opens with the amount of throttle given. When you drive like a normal person it's nice and quiet. When you get into the throttle it opens up and you get more noise and flow.
Do they restrict airflow? I imagine they would
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #25373
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Today just became a long day.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #25374
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
What happend bro?
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #25375
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02
Did you shart and you don't have a backup pair to change into, so you gotta work the rest of the day soggy? Haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:25 AM   #25376
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG View Post

Did you shart and you don't have a backup pair to change into, so you gotta work the rest of the day soggy? Haha
Leave it to you to start my day with a laugh... Ha!
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #25377
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

anyone have $70k sitting around?

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3773048798.html
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #25378
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

One of my guys was in a car accident on 95. From the little amount of info that I have gotten so far, he is hurt pretty badly.

... Litterally, just got a phone call saying that he is being transported to UMC. I got an update on his condition but I won't post it.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #25379
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02
One of my guys was in a car accident on 95. From the little amount of info that I have gotten so far, he is hurt pretty badly.

... Litterally, just got a phone call saying that he is being transported to UMC. I got an update on his condition but I won't post it.
Sorry to hear that man. That road seems to be a death trap these days.
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:02 AM   #25380
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

I just had the most uncomfortable phone call with my mom. Pretty rough, I had to tell my parents I couldn't give them money anymore. Talk about awkward.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.