Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1673 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #25081
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

The higher resolution pictures help out a lot and I would not be worried about the pitting any more. From here it is really up to you to decide what will be your best course of action esp considering you have a spare engine that can be rebuilt.

Craigslist engine
- have to drive to kingman to get (Gas and time)
-Take motor to machine shop to have double checked (Not required but highly recommended)
- Hope all of the parts are there and nothing completed by previous owner was done wrong.
- assemble engine and install.

Engine on Stand
- disassemble
- purchase master rebuild kit
- Have block hot tanked, bored, milled trued... 3-angle valve job inspect all parts for cracks.
- assemble motor and install.

I would contact a few local machine shops and see what the cost comparison would be to inspect the craigslist motor vs doing your current spare engine. Looking online really quick it looks like the full rebuild kit with new pistons is right around $400ish.

If anything tell the guy your situation, what you are looking at as options between the two. Heck being in Vegas you could probably talk him into bringing it out here for the asking price. Tell him that he can take his old lady out to a nice dinner.

Unread 04-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #25082
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post
Agreed. The marks look like gasket residue. It almost looks like the block wasn't "decked." That may not always be necessary either though. Decking is where the machinist mills a small amount of material from the top of the cylinder "deck" and in many cases where the intake sits. To be done right, they need to do the intake as well, or leaks are created. It's almost a requirement to have the entire engine done at the same shop at the same time so all the cuts can be made to mesh together correctly.
If you have a bore gauge, micrometers, a good straight edge, and a dial indicator, you could spend a little bit of time measuring everything to double check before buying. He may not like it, because it would probably consume about and hour checking everything. My $.02 worth.
I saw the metal head gasket indentation patterns too, But I guess if the surface was still true, there is no need to deck it.
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #25083
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate the info.

Is that what those little dimples on the area around the cylinders/coolant passages are? From the head gasket?

I know for a fact that the heads and block were done at separate shops, so it makes sense that it would not have been decked. However (not sure if this matters) this IS a matched set of heads and block, this is all the original stuff from the original 1979 motor.

I dont have the tools or know how at this point to check and measure all sorts of little details. I could lay a nice straight edge down and make sure everything is true, but I wouldn't be able to measure everything else at this point in time. All the tools i need would be amassed in good time. I'm in no rush to build it, but when I saw this package and what was done to it and how it is intended to be built, I figured I could pick it up and let it sit for a minute.

He told me he'd take $850 for everything, but that was no haggling involved. I literally just asked him what he would sell them together for (asking $650 and $250). I honestly dont mind the drive, I like driving, and kingman and back would be about 2/3rds tank of gas in the danger ranger IF that, so we're talking $35-$40 in gas. Maybe if i can get him down a little further it'd make it more worth it.

Hmm, maybe i should find $800 before i take this any further, huh?

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #25084
sirhk100

Maybe a dumb question but... Aftermarket air filters... Anyone ever have issues using non-brand oil on a filter? Like if I used AFE filter oil and cleaner on a K&N? Or better yet, if I use the spray that I use on my dirt bikes which is NoToil on a K&N? Reason for asking... I use a brand called NoToil cause it's biodegradable... Not cause I want to save the planet but because I can clean it in my sink with hot water and OxyClean and let it go down the drain with no ill effects. My dirt bike filters are foam elements though, not a cloth type like a K&N. Anyone think this would be unwise? My dirt bikes see as much if not more dust then my expo ever will and it's much easier for cleaning! Not to mention OxyClean is cheap compared to "air filter cleaner"...

BTW, my filter came in today so I'll get that picked up on lunch break. Today and tomorrow is like parts xmas for the expo almost it seems!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #25085
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Marn this just popped up on cl http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3763919866.html 73 Waggy, w/possible rebuilt motor it says..... $1250 been sitting a few years though.
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #25086
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
Marn this just popped up on cl http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/3763919866.html 73 Waggy, w/possible rebuilt motor it says..... $1250 been sitting a few years though.
nice.

to bad i has no room for another jeep :-(

I barely have room for the engien I'm considering.

That being said, if I get it do you need another 360? I'll have like 3 of them haha

Quote:
Well I figured it up and over a period of time, This four thousand dollar car of mine, Cost fourteen thousand dollars And ninety-nine cents, well now! - Jerry Reed

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Unread 04-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #25087
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Marn, IMHO, that one in kingman is probably worth the $850 or less you can get it for. I'm used to building molar stuff, so my price experience is a little higher, but if its complete heads, block, crank, pistons, rods, etc, I think its a decent deal. Especially because I would imagine that the AMC stuff is probably starting to dry up a bit. Seeing as how you're a purist(good for you) I would probably pull the trigger on that setup. You could build that set slowly as budget allows and continue to drive the waggy in the mean time. Once its done, just do a quick swap on a saturday and you're back in business with a new motor. Even if you have to pay a shop to go through it for a couple benjis, it still seems like a good deal. Plus you'll have some spare stuff afterwards.
Unread 04-24-2013, 12:57 PM   #25088
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Marn, IMHO, that one in kingman is probably worth the $850 or less you can get it for. I'm used to building molar stuff, so my price experience is a little higher, but if its complete heads, block, crank, pistons, rods, etc, I think its a decent deal. Especially because I would imagine that the AMC stuff is probably starting to dry up a bit. Seeing as how you're a purist(good for you) I would probably pull the trigger on that setup. You could build that set slowly as budget allows and continue to drive the waggy in the mean time. Once its done, just do a quick swap on a saturday and you're back in business with a new motor. Even if you have to pay a shop to go through it for a couple benjis, it still seems like a good deal. Plus you'll have some spare stuff afterwards.
screw it.

go big or go home.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/pts/3689187616.html

Quote:

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #25089
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh, yeah! There you go! All the torque you could ever want. Along with the race car rake too! Lol
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #25090
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Oh, yeah! There you go! All the torque you could ever want. Along with the race car rake too! Lol

Also a nice performance twisted frame!

think a turbo400 will be stout enough behind that monster? ha.

i'm in a ****ty mood today. crappy sleap with bad dreams last night, and customers are pissing me off to no end.

why is it always the work you try to do as a favor to somebody for a few hundred bucks that turns into a nightmare? I can run 5 10,000 dollar installs with zero issues and everybody is happy, but as soon as somebody needs 1.5 tons of extra rock delivered they turn it into a big old hassle.

Quote:

Unread 04-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #25091
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yup, people complain the most over free stuff! It's amazing how many people get outright belligerent when the FREE sodas aren't working! It's free, so stfu or GTFO! Yet, people won't say a word when they've paid for it! Stupid people!
Unread 04-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #25092
sirhk100

Speaking of free... Mid May time frame we're gonna need to do an install of a pretty cool new diff cover we've developed. Needs to be a Dana44. Would prefer rear for ease of pictures without all the steering crap in the way. If you're interested, don't speak up now but keep it in mind and I'll post more info when I have a more for sure type date. It's a pretty legit cover, nodular iron and it looks like the old school BFG MT basically. Oh, the vehicle needs to be lifted also. Almost forgot that requirement. Want it to be actually visible from the rear basically. I can probably get you a matching one for the front to install on your own time as well, not promising but it's likely...

Unread 04-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #25093
sirhk100

Ricky, I passed your email on to the dude but here's what I found...

I've seen the truck in person, I don't remember anything jumping out as sketchy or half *** on it and by the books it should be every bit as fast and capable as ours if the chassis is built strong enough. I do remember the interior is more basic and not as sexy as ours though.

Quote:
2012 HDRA Class 2000 Championship Truck Toyota Frame,Cab 3.4 V6 Motor 5 Spd Manual Trans Custom GMR Rear Housing Total Chaos Race Kit Deaver Race Springs King Shocks 35" Tires Truck is HDRA/Score Tagged and ready to race. Price includes all spares and trailer. Truck is ultra reliable. Lets make a deal/trade. Willing to trade for but not limited to: 05+ Toyota Tacoma (double cab) 22-24ft Motorhome XP 900 plus Cash 23Ft + River/Lake Boat (not a pontoon) 07+ Tundra/Silverado/F150 Or??????

Unread 04-24-2013, 02:38 PM   #25094
sirhk100

BTW, you would have to verify but I want to say the owner of that truck used to work for king and I believe has the shocks seriously dialed in!

Unread 04-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #25095
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Ricky, I passed your email on to the dude but here's what I found...

I've seen the truck in person, I don't remember anything jumping out as sketchy or half *** on it and by the books it should be every bit as fast and capable as ours if the chassis is built strong enough. I do remember the interior is more basic and not as sexy as ours though.
Oh Snap! Is Ricky looking at picking up a 2000 Series truck?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.