Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1667 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #24991
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgiff View Post
Biggest personnal pet peeve is when I show a report to my boss and he asks "okay, what am I looking at here?"

Personal. That was an error. A ****ing error Andy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
And when was the last time that your Jeep saw 4wd?
Last weekend

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #24992
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
No....now you have altered the link separation so you must move the uppers.....it's not that easy.

Here is mine......one would think that with the rocks my Jeep actually sees, I would have been crazy to leave my lower mounts below the axle centerline...........

I didn't say that's all there is to do, I just think the rear is easier to fix than the front. I spent a lot of time on a 4-link calculator before I did anything. And yes, I adjusted my uppers for vertical separation as well.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #24993
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post

Last weekend
Per forum regulations... it did not happen without pictures!!
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #24994
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3 View Post
Per forum regulations... it did not happen without pictures!!
Would witnesses count? I admit that I didn't read the forum regulations all that well.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #24995
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
Something I have never really looked into but is very evident in this picture is frame side control arm seperation. How much of an effect does it have? If I were at home right now I would plug some numbers into the 4 link calculator.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #24996
sirhk100

LOL, Ricky, just gotta keep it on 4 wheels and it should do okay!!! Race day is actually a bit easier to drive cause you get going and get in a groove and settle down. Survive like the first 10 minutes and then you're just in a zone driving within your means. Cameras come out though or giving test rides and you tend to try to hit stuff a little different. Actually on the test rides I gave Sat, I wasn't going race pace. That whoop section where I balled it up, I definitely went into hotter then norm for the cameras. LOL damn those cameras!!!

Does it matter much on jeeps? someone mentioned moving that lower control arm axle mount up further more inline with the center of the axle. Doing this puts A LOT more load on the upper mounts. Basically it puts virtually 100% of the twisting force to the upper rather then spreading the load. Maybe it's not a big deal in jeeps but on the go fast stuff with the beating and constant on/off forces pounding thru whoops it's harsh and wears parts and has even ripped mounts off axles that I've seen. Is it a concern on the jeep stuff?

It's also interesting the difference in relation to upper and lower control arm mounts on the jeep vs. how I setup my truck. It looks like your upper and lower arms are almost the same length and are mounted almost directly above/below each other. You can see here, mine definitely are not.

Here from the side you can obviously see my lower frame mounts and the upper frame mounts are right behind the cab. Drastically different in locations. I get 2 degrees of pinion change over 24" and about an inch of plunge on my shaft which is fine cause of how my shaft was built with the slip in it rather then at the yoke.

BTW, I didn't use a link calculator at all on this. I just used cad to figure out my locations and then the challenging part is finding those places in space in real life on the truck and hoping they aren't physically blocked when you find them.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #24997
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It actually has a greater effect than axle side. I can't remember all my calculations now though I have them written down, but raising or lowering the frame side upper is the easiest way to change your anti-squat numbers. On mine, raising the frame side upper control arm one inch will reduce the anti-squat by %25 or so.
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #24998
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, that is the downside to moving the mounts up, the uppers are subjected to a great deal more stress. The upper axle side mount needs to be built with that in mind.
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #24999
sirhk100

Off hand, I don't remember where mine is setup squat wise but I'm happy with how it turned out. The rear suspension is definitely not my performance limiting factor on my truck! It will probably be scary if it gets to the point that my front suspension can out run my rear! I'm happy that on accel it droops the rear and lifts the front. I want the front to skip across and let the rear do the work. All the weight and crap I don't want to break is up front so the more the rear is doing the happier I am! LOL

Unread 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #25000
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Hi everybody.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #25001
sirhk100

Those of you with fb.... If you're interested in seeing a pretty gruesome example of not using seat belts click here. Pretty sure the first dude coming out already had his arm ripped off by that point and it sure looks like a leg that's laying on the ground at the very end.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=641038179255600

Unread 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #25002
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm leaning toward this...

http://www.lapolicegear.com/maxpedit...arslinger.html

Looks like it will hold a laptop and all my tools and the pistol.
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #25003
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Buckle up kids or this may happen to you! Either that or don't do triple digit speeds with super dark tint and no experience.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #25004
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Okay, so i dropped the coin and got them warn premium hubs.

When I opened the box and was playing with them, one seemed really stiff, like it wouldnt turn freely, and it had to "pop" into "free" and "lock" When I put them on the axle, one turns nice and smooth but the other got worse, it requires a ton of force to pop it all the way in either direction. I kept skinning my knuckle because of how hard I had to turn it.

I figured most manufacturers prefer to handle stuff like this (a lot of products say not to return it to the retailer, but contact the manufacturer directly).

I wrote an email explaining it in detail, and this was the response from warn:

Quote:
Andrew,

You best bet would be to return the hubs back to the place of purchase under warranty for a new set.
Alrighty then, back to amazon they go. should have my replacements on thursday.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #25005
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Hi everybody.
Hi Dr. Marn!

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.