Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1662 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #24916
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG

It's a used teraflex kit on CL. Not a brand new kit, it was talked about a few pages back. Get with the times Andy! Haha
You mean the one with the stock length uppers and long lowers? There is a reason that kit is for sale. Has something to do with it not working I bet.

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #24917
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

You mean the one with the stock length uppers and long lowers? There is a reason that kit is for sale. Has something to do with it not working I bet.
I was simply stating which one if was, not that he should buy it! Haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #24918
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

So what would be a decent long arm kit to run? I hope i dont have to spend 3K for a lift.
Puck81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:29 AM   #24919
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ
And I was looking around online and theres 20" barrels and 24" barrels and then theres 26" bull barrels what the hell is the difference between these??
For distance and accuracy, you will want the longest, thickest barrel you can get. Do a 26" bull barrel. My buddy has one and is consistently accurate to 600yds. Get a good scope(will cost as much as if not more than the rifle itself) and a good, solid stock. Be prepared to be in that rifle for around 2-3k for anything around 600yds +.
I'm soda can accurate to 400yds with my 204 ruger in a T/C encore with a 26" barrel. With my 308, and some more work it will be good to around 600 yds until I upgrade optics. It costs money, be ready, and don't buy cheap. You'll end up replacing stuff over an over!
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #24920
Garza
Vendor

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
So what would be a decent long arm kit to run? I hope i dont have to spend 3K for a lift.
Short of something custom, there is no "kit" on the market worth the $$. Can I ask you why you are stuck on a long arm?
Garza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #24921
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post

Short of something custom, there is no "kit" on the market worth the $$. Can I ask you why you are stuck on a long arm?
Oh no, not stuck on long arm. I just figured it would flex better then short arms.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #24922
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey View Post

For distance and accuracy, you will want the longest, thickest barrel you can get. Do a 26" bull barrel. My buddy has one and is consistently accurate to 600yds. Get a good scope(will cost as much as if not more than the rifle itself) and a good, solid stock. Be prepared to be in that rifle for around 2-3k for anything around 600yds +.
I'm soda can accurate to 400yds with my 204 ruger in a T/C encore with a 26" barrel. With my 308, and some more work it will be good to around 600 yds until I upgrade optics. It costs money, be ready, and don't buy cheap. You'll end up replacing stuff over an over!
Oh yeah I have seen the prices of some of those scopes and they are quite pricey. Ok so the bull barrel is best to have. I really like those mcree stocks. Now those are pretty damn good looking. Ill hit up roobicon for sure.

When I pick something up ill post it up for ya guys to see.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #24923
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81
Serious offroad.

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:04 AM   #24924
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand_ZJ
Hopefully you didnt blow the head. You should do a block test on your XJ.

DAMN Raptor I feel like I got ripped off now lol

All the shooters here: wheres a good place to get a remington 700 in 308? Im finally getting my tax return on tuesday and want to get into some precision shooting.

And I was looking around online and theres 20" barrels and 24" barrels and then theres 26" bull barrels what the hell is the difference between these??
What's a block test btw?

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:07 AM   #24925
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There's a gadget you can hook up to the radiator cap to pressurize it and watch to see if the gauge drops.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #24926
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared View Post

What's a block test btw?

Posted from outer space.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_...or_a_car#page2

Its a test you do where you open your radiator cap and run the engine until its at running temp you then put a blue fluid in a tube and suck the air into the tube and if you have a compression leak (blown head, cracked block) the fluid you put in the tube will turn green. It basically grabs the gases from your engine as it is running.
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #24927
sirhk100

Andy... $10K...

1991 Solo built ranger
4.0 V6 5Spd
D44 hubs on d35 beams about 6" over stock
35" tires on american racing wheels (comes with 6 wheels)
G50 deavers with 16" king bypasses
F150 8.8 with 4.56's
And for the right price, ill throw in some brand new Method bead lock truck race wheels. (The real "race" wheels, not the street wheels...)

Ill be completely honest, It needs a little TLC, but nothing major. (Needs seat covers, and interior could use some love)
The truck is located in Orange County.
$10k

Ill post pics in a few...

-Kai

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #24928
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck81 View Post
Oh no, not stuck on long arm. I just figured it would flex better then short arms.
Lift heights being equal up to about 4-4.5 inches, a long arm flexs no better than a short arm and in some cases actually flexs worse. On the droop end, once the spring unseats, you have no more usable flex. It happens at exactly the same point on both a long arm or short arm Jeep. On the compression end once you are either against the bumpstop or the spring reaches coil bind, you have no more usable up-travel. Again, it happens at exactly the same point. Because of the verticle seperation needed by long arms at the axle end, you might run into issues with the upper arms limiting flex because of frame and body clearance before you actually reach coil bind.

If you are going more than 4.5 inches up or more, a custom long arm set-up becomes the way to go. Not for flex but for arm angle. Any off the shelf set-up has some suspension geometery issues. Depending on the system chosen, these can vary from relatively minor to extremely major. Most custom installations have issues too although usually less minor. Those issues come from the suspension geometery being compromised due to clearance issues. Basically, decide what length arms you want to run based upon the suspension calculator numbers. Cut a piece of PVC to that length and then hold it under the Jeep at the new ride height, you will likely find that they will hit something else and therefore have to be made a different length or find another mounting position. Either throws off the numbers that you wanted.

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #24929
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Andy... $10K...

1991 Solo built ranger
4.0 V6 5Spd
D44 hubs on d35 beams about 6" over stock
35" tires on american racing wheels (comes with 6 wheels)
G50 deavers with 16" king bypasses
F150 8.8 with 4.56's
And for the right price, ill throw in some brand new Method bead lock truck race wheels. (The real "race" wheels, not the street wheels...)

Ill be completely honest, It needs a little TLC, but nothing major. (Needs seat covers, and interior could use some love)
The truck is located in Orange County.
$10k

Ill post pics in a few...

-Kai
Saw it last night on DR.

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #24930
Puck81
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post

Lift heights being equal up to about 4-4.5 inches, a long arm flexs no better than a short arm and in some cases actually flexs worse. On the droop end, once the spring unseats, you have no more usable flex. It happens at exactly the same point on both a long arm or short arm Jeep. On the compression end once you are either against the bumpstop or the spring reaches coil bind, you have no more usable up-travel. Again, it happens at exactly the same point. Because of the verticle seperation needed by long arms at the axle end, you might run into issues with the upper arms limiting flex because of frame and body clearance before you actually reach coil bind.

If you are going more than 4.5 inches up or more, a custom long arm set-up becomes the way to go. Not for flex but for arm angle. Any off the shelf set-up has some suspension geometery issues. Depending on the system chosen, these can vary from relatively minor to extremely major. Most custom installations have issues too although usually less minor. Those issues come from the suspension geometery being compromised due to clearance issues. Basically, decide what length arms you want to run based upon the suspension calculator numbers. Cut a piece of PVC to that length and then hold it under the Jeep at the new ride height, you will likely find that they will hit something else and therefore have to be made a different length or find another mounting position. Either throws off the numbers that you wanted.
Ok. Thanks Andy, that makes sence. Looks like i will run a basic short arm untill i get full width 60's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.