Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread - Page 1656 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South West USA > Nevada Jeep Forum > Chat - The Official Las Vegas/Southern Nevada Chat Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #24826
sirhk100

If it would help you with your insurance issues go for it! Maybe the PTSD contributed to the eye condition and then it could get taken care of?

BTW, I did NOTHING on the expo tonight! Race truck prep took MUCH longer then expected but I think it's ready for a days worth of abuse. I didn't get the rod ends today so can't mock up steering on Sunday anyways. So that gives me all day to tinker with the remaining stuff on it...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #24827
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

A spark inside the fuel cell would do nothing, in theory! Supposedly, with the high concentration of fuel vapor and very low concentration of O2(oxygen) there would not be sufficient air/fuel ratio to induce combustion. Again, in theory. That's why a flaming rag in a gas filler neck won't cause the car to explode. It could cause a continuously fed flame outside the car leading to a great fire, but not an explosion. I used to know the required ratio(I think it's like 13:1 or something for gasoline. 13 parts O2 to one part fuel?) can't remember it now though.
Still wouldnt want to test that theory....
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #24828
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
A spark inside the fuel cell would do nothing, in theory! Supposedly, with the high concentration of fuel vapor and very low concentration of O2(oxygen) there would not be sufficient air/fuel ratio to induce combustion. Again, in theory. That's why a flaming rag in a gas filler neck won't cause the car to explode. It could cause a continuously fed flame outside the car leading to a great fire, but not an explosion. I used to know the required ratio(I think it's like 13:1 or something for gasoline. 13 parts O2 to one part fuel?) can't remember it now though.
Still wouldnt want to test that theory....
You would be correct in most instances. The NHTSA actually regulates how big around a fuel filler hose can be just for that eventuality. It prevents too much air getting into the tank preventing combustion even in the instance of an outside fire. However, have you ever seen the fuel filler tube on the race truck? That tube has an I.D. of what 2 inches Khris? How much air can that tube provide? Want to bet that it is more than enough to support combustion?

Its so short ****s like me and you can still get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ACR View Post
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
andy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #24829
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's right, durr! It is huge, and yeah, it probably would allow enough air inside. But then again, what about nascar and the TT trucks? They surely have filler fires, with no explosions?
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:36 AM   #24830
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

HAHA! Damn I'm good! The stoichiometric(ideal for us rednecks) air-fuel ratio for gasoline combustion is 13:1, but was raised to 14:1 for catalytic converters. Wow, I hadn't pulled on that factiod in probably fourteen years. I guess my memory isnt that bad...yeah, it is. NM, LOL
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:38 AM   #24831
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powrjunkey
That's right, durr! It is huge, and yeah, it probably would allow enough air inside. But then again, what about nascar and the TT trucks? They surely have filler fires, with no explosions?
I don't know, I have never seen a filler fire in either of those. I have seen the aftermath of an external fire on a trophy truck but that occurred during refueling when the hose was full of fuel.

Edit, just realized that NASCAR uses a spring loaded sealed filler cap. Ever notice that the pit crew doesn't have to take a cap off?

Quote:
My issue was I couldn't get the balls centered. I had to use some extra force to get everything lined up right. It didn't take me long.

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #24832
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

If the short was submerged in the fuel it would not be that bad either. Get some heat shrink on there then put it in some tubing.
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:45 AM   #24833
andy02
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaf3
If the short was submerged in the fuel it would not be that bad either. Get some heat shrink on there then put it in some tubing.
True. Used to freak out the newbies on one of our fire engines when we explained that there was actually open contacts in the fuel tanks on it. The fuel gauge was nothing but 4 lights. As the fuel level decreased, it uncovered the electrical connections thereby breaking the contact and the corresponding light would go out

Quote:

September 11 2001
Never Forget!
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:54 AM   #24834
Powrjunkey
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02 View Post
True. Used to freak out the newbies on one of our fire engines when we explained that there was actually open contacts in the fuel tanks on it. The fuel gauge was nothing but 4 lights. As the fuel level decreased, it uncovered the electrical connections thereby breaking the contact and the corresponding light would go out
That's essentially how carbonators work at mcdonalds. Except they turn on a motor instead of turning off a light.
Unread 04-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #24835
sirhk100

Each wire was heat shrinked, then each set of joints was heat shrinked over those and then there was a final one solid piece of heat shrink over the entire harness. I also did the research and bought a specific fuel rated wire eventhough I was assured standard wire would hold up. I wasn't taking any chances. It still rubbed thru. I made some changes this time to hopefully prevent it from happening again. We're also looking at a whole different alternative to possibly go to down the road now cause of it.

It's like the fuel line inside. Some people called me crazy for dropping $30 on a foot of fuel line but I'm not really into screwing around and short cutting this kinda stuff. My biggest fear is not crashing or rolling or going end over end, it's burning to death...

more like a 3" filler tube with a 1" breather tube also. It's also a 32 gallon cell, it right now has probably less then 5 gallons of gas in it and right now is when it started shorting so there was plenty of air space, it definitely wasn't submerged in gas.

TT's have red head spring loaded fillers too. I've actually got a setup for my bike with a redhead too that I occasionally use for racing when I'm actually serious and trying to win.

DGAF what any of you say though, feel free to toss some sparks around in your gas tank if you think it's no big deal... I'd personally rather not play with it.

See yall tomorrow... I'm out for the night.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/TPF-Racing/255393361194429
sirhk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 07:58 AM   #24836
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy02

There is not that much more metal than what there is in your typical car. This just lacks all the plasticky parts that usually covers the metal parts.

Did you ever get some grip tape on the floor? It won't be complete until then. I know, I saw it on DR!
Grip tape? Screw that, lets get some fake grass in that truck, I'm talking floor and headliner! Haha
MMCKEIG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #24837
gregaf3
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have some scraps in the garage
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #24838
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

New ammo store opening on warm springs and eastern. Grand opening today, I'm about 30th in line, he has ton of stock.

This is just an informative post, sorry I will not buy you anything.
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #24839
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMCKEIG
New ammo store opening on warm springs and eastern. Grand opening today, I'm about 30th in line, he has ton of stock.

This is just an informative post, sorry I will not buy you anything.
Let us know prices

Posted from outer space.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #24840
MMCKEIG
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJared

Let us know prices

Posted from outer space.
I was in the place a couple weeks ago when they happened to be open once or twice. They are pre sandy hook prices.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.